Test Back Garden

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All
Having been a member for a good while it seems I had overlooked this section of the forum until I came across it the other day and saw this image http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/dunstanburgh-milky-way.556144/
Which has wanting me to try this out. I did post in that thread and got some links to read.
Anyways last night I had try in the back garden. Before we go away up Scotland.
I know it's not a dark sky and never will be. I live 2 miles from city centre Manchester maybe less than that.Off the reading I had done I was more worried about getting focus. I did what most seem to suggest and focused on infinity then turned the barrel back a few mill.
I used a standard settings people advocate. Which were F2.8 @ 30 sec iso 3200. I'm guessing that would be for a very dark sky as here it was way over bright so adjusted iso down to 800 and then shutter to 20 sec's.
This morning I know see I should have gone down to iso 100 as I had the leeway.
I tried various wb setting but liked this one it was set to white fluorescence.

Does this exposure and focus look like I am on the right path it does to me but I am just chuffed to see some stars.

Gaz

Sky.jpg

I think the biggest issue is there too much tree and not enough sky - but as much you're in Manchester and theres a lot of light pollution, I do not think you have to travel far to get away from it all, if you are able to, of course.

But thats a good first attempt - and from the back garden so allowed you to play with the settings and see what you can get - so (y) from me for a city-back-garden attempt

At least - you now know you can take the photos - but you will find your technique will completely change when you get somewhere totally dark without pollution. 5 second exposures, hundreds of them and stacked using a freebie sky stacking app. Will be good to see further attempts from you and see the improvements, you will no doubt make !

Back