TEST:Canon & Sigma Comparison 75-300mm

MG TF 135

no chance of a new name
Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok i have had these two for a couple of years now, see my signature for models. I bought the Canon 75-300mm and aquired the Sigma when my partners grandfather passed away. I have to be honest and have never really used the Sigma, partly due to me being a brandist and partly due to the fact i had bought the Canon.

I recently bought the Sigma 10-20mm, after playing with the Canon 10-22mm, i could not see that much of a difference that equated to £200 difference (used price). That got me thinking, i wonder how good my aquired Sigma 75-300mm is??

So a comparison below.

Test conditions: tripod mounted 400d. Both lens pushed out to 300mm and 10sec timer so no camera shake on shutter release.

canonsigma1.jpg

canonsigma2.jpg

Canon on the left and Sigma on the right, different results to what i was expecting.

Blimey there is some difference there! Can I ask which you will be using from now on? :p

That's shocking, have you ruled out the "wind" factor from your canon test shot?

Blimey.. they say a zoom lens is a bit soft fully extended but thats taking the p***.
Sigma's never seem to get as high a score in magazine comparison tests but this just seems miles ahead..! Unless your Canon is excessively soft..??

That particular Canon lens is notoriously soft. Compare the Sigma to the EF 70-300 IS and the I think the roles will be reversed.

BTW, 75-300 is EF, not EF-S. Thinking about it, I bet the EF-S 55-250 IS would also beat it.

Blimey there is some difference there! Can I ask which you will be using from now on? :p

I think some further testing is in order in the mid to short range, but it seems as though i may be using the Sigma for more. The Sigma is the push/pull zoom so can be awkward to use when tilting the camera on a tripod, so the Canon will still have it's use.

I take it they are both 100% crops of the image

Indeed, these are both 100% crops, straight out of the camera, no pp.

That's shocking, have you ruled out the "wind" factor from your canon test shot?

"wind" factor. Am i missing something here. The camera was set up 3 feet inside a bedroom window (wide open window), so no breeze there.

"wind" factor. Am i missing something here. The camera was set up 3 feet inside a bedroom window (wide open window), so no breeze there.

I thought you were outside. Did you move when you took the shot? Maybe not. I'm only asking as I experienced that with my laminate flooring, its very solid compared to a few houses I've been to and I must admit when I move a bit, I see a bit of camera movement when I'm shooting liveview.

Anyway, I think the Sigma APO is a newer lens compared to the Canon 75-300. They are both consumer lenses, but its appalling to see results like yours.

Can't see a noise difference between the two. I think due to the Canon having more blur you 'feel' that you are looking at more noise.

But that's the thing. I assumed that the shots were taken almost at the same time, shot 1, change lens, shot 2, with exactly the same camera settings, with no post-processing.
With a shot like this, without a colimator, changing the lens should not change any difraction at the sensor. If we assume that all noise is generated by the sensor sites not working perfectly, then on average, the appearance of the sensors (as you can effectively average with the eye over around 400k pixels? 20kx20k?) should look similar?

Edit:
Regarding the blur, if you look at just a white area of the picture, where there is no detail to be picked up by lens blur, the blur on the noise shouldn't be any different, as the noise is generated /after/ the lens.

Back