test video slower motion and closeup

What frame rate is that shot at? It’s very stuttery, it would look much better smooth and flowing.

Last edited:
What frame rate is that shot at? It’s very stuttery, it would look much better smooth and flowing.
it was taken at 100 mbps in 4K@ a frame rate 25 which is set by the camcorder so got no choice. can alter the shutter speed from 25 but that is the auto setting but may have helped a bit
ok why is it stuttery? I slowed the video down in editing first to make the video a bit longer and also to show better in slow motion the butterflys movements. If I posted the video at normal speed most of this would be lost. by slowing down the video something has to give which you noticed. Even trying to render didn't help smoothing it out.

Just double checked at normal speed and the butterfly movement is too fast to show on here, so this was the best option

Is a leaning curve for me whch is why it is experimental but thank you for pointing that out

Last edited:
I would assume you imported the 100fps video clip into a 30fps timeline and then slowed it down again or similar which could cause it to go like it , as 100fps should be buttery smooth. It could also be the software just not doing a very good job when rendering. Nothing should “have to give” when recording slow mo really if you can shoot at a high frame rate.
If you imported into a 24fps timeline, you should be able to slow the 100 FPS footage down by 24% without issue.
It also depends on the shutter speed used to get the clip. The shutter should be double the frame frame as a rule to get smooth footage.

Quite possibly Tim but as I said the camcorder records only at a frame rate of 25fps in 4K so I have no options other than.
the alternative is to shoot in AVCHD which will give me 50fps but then I loose the ability to record in 4K and duel record with AVHDS . Then I have no backup..

If I wanted to do as you suggested then I would be looking at a camcorder well out of my price bracket. this Sony FDR-AX53 retails at £700 and with the extras such as extrnl microphone -UV filter- spare batteries- pistol grip handle - better deadcat -lens cover-eye cup- stepup ring and lens hood bring it to just under £1000 which was my limit.

pjf1zb7.jpg

so which to choose picture quality or smooth video with less detail

Last edited:
You have a FDR-AX53 handycam? The spec sheet includes a 120fps slow motion mode in HD, worth trying that for sure.

can do, but no 4K no duel recording and no backup. even without a 4k monitor there is quite a bit of difference in picture quality with 4K

I will have to try all the options as I start getting to know the camcorder as it is fairly new to me still. My old panasonic HC-X900m I knew well after 9 years until it needed a couple of things done to put it right, so I did a P/X

Last edited:
Completely missed the 25fps, just saw the 100. Yeah, no go slow mo with that.

At 25fps, you are shooting at a a slower speed than my xt3 takes photos, so you are effectively just playing back single frames Rather than a video.
Id much rather shoot at 1080 and have a proper smooth video than 4K and be jerky like that.

Completely missed the 25fps, just saw the 100. Yeah, no go slow mo with that.

At 25fps, you are shooting at a a slower speed than my xt3 takes photos, so you are effectively just playing back single frames Rather than a video.
Id much rather shoot at 1080 and have a proper smooth video than 4K and be jerky like that.
I think you may be right. I can't find out if duel recording has the same frame rate buit guessing it does

Last edited:
Don't get mixed up between frame rate and shutter speed, in 4K you probably only have (24)25/30 fps
You could get smoother slow-mo shooting 1080p if it allows you 50 or 60fps if not higher then render at 25fps.
No idea what manual control you have with that camcorder though
Having said that the resolution is good and you could slow it even more like a stop motion effect (briefly!) e.g when wings are open

thank you for your help. manual controls are limited to a certain extent as in set apature and the camcorder sets the rest t,ype of thing. stop motion is an Idea if the editing suite has it
Did managed a heading and stills photo to start the video off with and left original sound track (in stereo) no hammering from neighbours this time. screen hood came this afternoon so will try with that as well

_DSC5008a.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for your help. manual controls are limited to a certain extent as in set apature and the camcorder sets the rest t,ype of thing. stop motion is an Idea if the editing suite has it
Did managed a heading and stills photo to start the video off with and left original sound track (in stereo) no hammering from neighbours this time. screen hood came this afternoon so will try with that as well.
May I ask what you think of the screen hood and where did it come from please?

Hi Peter

I got it from Amazon UK for £16.98 delivered. If your thinking about getting one check the right size , this is the 3inch screen size version
best to actually show you the difference and let you decide

with the hood (both photos as shot no editing}

P1040383.jpg

without the hood

P1040384.JPG

it makes no difference to the actual shot of course just how easier or not to view. just slips on easily
l

Last edited:
Back