Tethered shooting - use an active/boosted USB cable ?

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone use use an active/boosted USB cable when shooting tethered?

I have seen it can stop the camera-laptop connection being dropped. Anyone know if this is correct? I have moved to using a 10 feet long normal USB cable but it seems prone to disconnecting from Lightroom, so wondering if to try an active cable. Don't want to spend if its just a fairy tale though :)

Try one from someone like Monoprice rather than spending the money on a "photography" cable.

Just found a thread recommending an active usb cable, bought a 10m one from Amazon and down loaded Digicamcontrol. My first foray into tethered shooting and all works fine so far.

Last edited:
Have used USB 2 ones, got a couple of 5m ones and used together. All worked fine. They were only a few quid off eBay.
(No experience of :USB 3)

If you're using USB3, just get one with fatter wires (ie larger cross section). Tethertools make a nice orange USB3 one that works for me.

I use a cheap 5m one from eBay. Used to work fine with my D7000 and LR but the D750 won't connect, LR just doesn't see the camera. A cheap 3m one works fine though.

I have moved to using a 10 feet long normal USB cable but it seems prone to disconnecting from Lightroom :)

I have damaged the USB socket twice on two different cameras due to an accidental tug.

The disconnection could be due to a loose connection between 'Camera socket and Lead'

Now I secure the cable to the camera body to stop any wriggle at the socket and to prevent damaging another USB socket.

Very good point. I have been advised to elastic band the cable lightly to the camera to allow for some flex if it gets tugged.

Back