Tethered Shooting

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if these are silly questions. I'm looking to capture video at some upcoming conferences and don't have much of a clue yet!

I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina and wanted to enquire whether anyone has done any tethered video capture with a Nikon D800?

Is there a way to connect to the camera via USB3 in a similar way to still capture and control the start/stop via Aperture, CCP2 or other software?

Being able to see what's being shot (LiveView) would be awesome and it'd be good to understand whether the video only gets sent down the USB3 link to my laptop when you stop recording? If I want to get the video in realtime would I need to use the HDMI output, and if so, could I capture somehow via the HDMI port on the side of the MBP or do I need some other box/widget?

Any helpful tips or advice?

Thanks,
-Alex

hi
I'm sure this is possible, and someone will come along to help in a mo
on my canon there is software supplied on the disk which allows liveview shooting and remote capture
works pretty well too.
not sure if the vid would output in full res, unlikely unless it's usb3 and very quick!

From further investigation:

Looks like the HDMI port on a MacBook Pro is only good for output and to record direct to the computer I might need a Blackmagic Intensity (or similar) in order to capture -

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/

Another thing which cropped up is that DSLRs seem to be limited to 30 minutes recording time on internal storage, something to do with EU taxes? Heh. Anyway it appears like this limit is circumvented by removing CF/SD cards and having the D800 record via HDMI as noted above.

I'd still be curious to know whether I can record via USB3 or not though as 5Gbps (theoretical) should be sufficient for anything, and being able to skip HDMI entirely and not have to buy the Intensity (above) would be nice.

No, you need a blackmagic or similar hdmi capture card.

If you're just after recording, and instant playback, check out the atmos ninja boxes.

If you're looking to live stream, theres a host of options, including the blackmagic intensity, or for multicam production, the blackmagic atem tvs.

I do a lot of conference video work - for simply recording the whole conference, I'd suggest simply renting a professional video camera. Having two cameras increases production values by miles.

I assume from your username that it's a tech industry conference? Filming and live streaming these is what I do when I'm not taking pictures - feel free to drop me a line with any questions.

Last edited:
I assume from your username that it's a tech industry conference? Filming and live streaming these is what I do when I'm not taking pictures - feel free to drop me a line with any questions.

Very correctly assumed. I do a lot of US conferences, and >90% of them have no AV catering and I often wish I could see the talk again afterwards.

I wanted a new camera anyway and now the D800 can do video, figured that packing a minimalistic set of kit to take with me wasn't entirely impossible! Totally new to this too, so its as much about learning as anything else.

why not output it via live view to your phone or tablet?
just record on the CF card and strap your phone etc to the tripod as a monitor..?

key for this kinda stuff is audio.

Make sure you've got the cables and all the adapters needed to take audio out from the PA system - this means that you need cables that can go from:

phono
3.5mm
6.35mm
XLR and up to 20m or so away.

If there's not usually a PA, then you need a wireless lavelier mic, eg the Sennheiser EW100 - though if you will always be able to have a mains power supply for the reciever, there are cheaper alternatives.

Back