Tethering a Nikon D300s

Name
Kardo Ayoub
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to tether a Nikon D300s?
I cant seem to find the USB option in the menu like it used to be in D300.

I hope I can still tether without the need of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4

I have Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 software installed but when I connect my camera it does not detect it.

I would be grateful if someone could help.

Many thanks

Kardo

I use Lightroom and tether straight into that. Works really well. Bit slow sometimes but works ace.

Thanks guys, I just need to know how you create the connection between the d300s and the computer, when you attach the USB cable how does your computer detects it, do you have to change anything in the camera menu?

Thanks

Last edited:
Setup Menu -> USB -> Change from MSC to MTP/PTP

Although thats on the D300

That is now changed on the D300s and doesn't exist anymore.
They made a big mistake taking this option out I think.

The option they have taken out is Mass Storage which did not work for tethering anyway. PTP is what is needed for tethering, and is the only USB protocol on models from the D90 on.

Your D300s should not need any settings changing. My D90 also does not have the Mass storage option, but works fine with Camera Control Pro 2.

Make sure your camera shows in My Computer as a device when the USB is plugged in. If not, you might not have the correct driver installed for the camera. (Assuming Windows).

The option they have taken out is Mass Storage which did not work for tethering anyway. PTP is what is needed for tethering, and is the only USB protocol on models from the D90 on.

Your D300s should not need any settings changing. My D90 also does not have the Mass storage option, but works fine with Camera Control Pro 2.

Make sure your camera shows in My Computer as a device when the USB is plugged in. If not, you might not have the correct driver installed for the camera. (Assuming Windows).
:agree:

Sorry to jump on this. Is tethering so that when you take the shot on the camera it automatically shows in lightroom?

Anyone got a link to how to do that without the transmitter then as I'd like to use that on my D300 (y)

Sorry to jump on this. Is tethering so that when you take the shot on the camera it automatically shows in lightroom?

Anyone got a link to how to do that without the transmitter then as I'd like to use that on my D300 (y)

You need Lightroom 3 to do this. You connect the camera to the PC with the USB cable. When you take a shot, with tethering enabled, it automatically downloads into Lightroom.

http://www.revellphotography.com/blog/2010/03/shooting-tethered-with-lightroom-3-beta-2/

Last edited:

Darren, The www.diyphotobits link given in scotthehat's post works. I used the download a couple of days ago and got my D300 tethered and loading directly into bridge within 20 minutes.
I have the D300s too but hadn't tried that because I also couldn't find the USB menu option which has been removed.

Darren, The www.diyphotobits link given in scotthehat's post works. I used the download a couple of days ago and got my D300 tethered and loading directly into bridge within 20 minutes.
I have the D300s too but hadn't tried that because I also couldn't find the USB menu option which has been removed.

Oh, can you let me know if you do manage to get your D300s working with it as I want to upgrade to that model (y)

Back