Tevion Tripod

Edit My Images
No
Just received the Aldi newsletter. They got a £12.99 tripod, which looks good. But I'm wondering whether this would support my 40D?
Would be a bit scary rotating the camera 90 degrees, considering how heavy it is. :cautious:

£11.99 on the website, for that price it looks good value but a bit flimsy.

My mum went and bought one but I have to say I wouldn't trust it, they seem abit flimsy and the quick release plate and head are just plastic. I'm going to take it back to the shop.

You get what you pay for unfortunately - for the general public it will seem like a bargain. For anyone into photography its a good example of what not to buy in a tripod in terms of build, security, quick release quality etc etc.

I was so impressed I bought 3 of these tripods, one for permanent in the boot of my car, and the other 2 to be kept at different locations - this way I know I will easily be able to put my hands on one without attracting the attention of the light fingered brigade, leaving myself free to just carry my camera around (Casio Exilm)

Admittedly it isn't as heavy as your camera, but I would give it a go. Sometimes things in Aldi and Lidl, being German, can be very well engineered and represent excellent value for money.

I work in Advertising Photography (not in London admittedly but still at a fairly decently high level) and have some other expensive professional tripods already, but I would say 'give it a go' (comes with a shoulder bag too)... at that sort of price you may just be pleasantly surprised.

You may be more than a bit sick when the plastic head pops out!
Jim

Just received the Aldi newsletter. They got a £12.99 tripod, which looks good. But I'm wondering whether this would support my 40D?
Would be a bit scary rotating the camera 90 degrees, considering how heavy it is. :cautious:

I have one of these. My advise would be to skip it as it starts shaking like a dead tree once you put on a dslr with decent set of lens. It may be great for compacts but invest in a decent tripod for a dslr. :)

Good enough for a light camera like Jack Fausts' exlim though. My Benbo Trekker is a bit on the light side for my 30D and Bigma combined, at least the head is, the tripod is fine.

I have a £10 tripod that I trust my 40D to lots of times, its a tripod, it is designed to stand up right. Mine is propper cheap metal with a plastic head and plate, but has never once toppled over in about 6 years, locks off nice and tight too and has a hook underneath to put your camera bag on to keep it steadier (as it is nice and light for carrying).

Anyone got a link to the tripod on the website? I cant seem to find it.

EDIT - Guessing they might not be shown or in stock anymore?

Aldi's site only shows current and future specials, if you have a store nearby, go down and have a look in person.

I always found the plastic headed Jessops or Hama jobbies wobbled, and when positoned in a protrait manner were never straight or adjustable. A good tripod is worth paying for, and keeping...

Back