Textures

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone :)
Do any of you use textures to add to your images?
If yes could you suggest where I could learn how to make the actual textures. Not the gritty kind more like a photo background
Cathy

Last edited:
AFAIK people photograph things they want as textures and then add them as layers in Photoshop and play with blend modes etc. to get the desired effect

Thank you for a reply I appreciate it. I know how to use textures to add to an image and for now I buy the ones I want or use some free ones.
What I would like to know is how to make them. The look would be similar to a studio background you would use for an old master look dark on the outside like a vignette and lighter in the middle. Tried just adding colours etc to new layer and rendering clouds to try but it does not work lol

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5
I think it's painting using textured brushes (splats and grunge style) and layer on textures from photos of wood grain, concrete and scratches.
Then play with contrast, colour grads and a vignette.

Try adding noise/film grain, even play with differant blur effects.

If you see a wall or surface you like, take a photo and blur it a bit and play with curves.

PS, not something I do, I'm just reverse engineering images I've seen :)

Last edited:
Totally rad used to make a texture plug-in (or action?) for photoshop, think it was called something like dirty pictures? That was quite good.
When I'm out and about I look out for t for textures and skys and keep them for later use, rusty metal works well. There used to be a lot of places with free textures for photoshop, not sure if it's as popular now. I havent done one for ages.
You can make some good background looks using the render clouds filter.

Last edited:
Back