TFCD models, (mini rant + discuss)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, okay, how about "you pay peanuts (or in this case nowt) and get monkeys"?

lol...so true...:LOL:

I thought we were on-topic BTW...

If it's for a commercial website that you're hoping to generate income from, then even more reason to pay the models...
You'll not get professional-looking images by using amateurs, thought I take the point about using TFCD shoots as 'practice'. But for the 'real-thing' you presumably hire studio space, don't you?

Last edited:
I wasn't making assumptions but you said you wanted luxuries for your family.

I've missed something here. How are you going to make money out of a TFP shoot?

There's an old saying in motorsport. The only way to make a small fortune in motorsport is to start with a large fortune. I'm pretty sure that applies to photography as well for most people :D I know I'm way out of pocket compared to the shots I've sold.

I've found with shoots that it pays to keep in constant touch with the people beforehand. If they don't respond then it's fair to say that you can always reply that if you don't hear from them by X then the shoot is off.

Last edited:
Nice try but still off topic, did you read the original post? I was asking if anyone had similar problems, not if it was a good idea.

Never gone to an official site to book models TFP, so no I don't have these problems. I get to shoot colleagues at work and their families, my daughters friends etc.
Other sources might be a local college. I've shot hairdressers creations for their portfolio, dancers (blimey some of them are flexible...).

I wasn't making assumptions but you said you wanted luxuries for your family.

I've missed something here. How are you going to make money out of a TFP shoot?

There's an old saying in motorsport. The only way to make a small fortune in motorsport is to start with a large fortune. I'm pretty sure that applies to photography as well for most people :D

I've found with shoots that it pays to keep in constant touch with the people beforehand. If they don't respond then it's fair to say that you can always reply that if you don't hear from them by X then the shoot is off.

My apologies there, I should have made myself clear there, by luxuries I didn't mean a BMW parked on the drive I meant the odd takeaway now and again. There's me making assumptions now.

That's the annoying thing, both "models" kept in good contact right up to the day of the shoot. But the last one who was basically saying unless you do what we want I'm not doing it was really taking advantage.

Never gone to an official site to book models TFP, so no I don't have these problems. I get to shoot colleagues at work and their families, my daughters friends etc.
Other sources might be a local college. I've shot hairdressers creations for their portfolio, dancers (blimey some of them are flexible...).

Cheers, that might be a better idea.

OK, I am not a pro and simply do photography as a hobby and for fun - but I've used amateur models in return for shots and the results in many cases have been better than shots I have seen from so called professional photography houses.

One model I worked with 'won' a free shoot at a studio in London, and I can honestly say that the images she showed me from that shoot were dreadfully poor: black hair with no detail, no catch-lights in the eyes, dreadful exposures - not on all of them for sure, but for the money she paid for the prints I'd have expected every single image to be perfect.

You see, it does work both ways; because a good model doesn't have to be a professional one not all professional photographers deliver to expectations.

lol...so true...:LOL:

I thought we were on-topic BTW...

If it's for a commercial website that you're hoping to generate income from, then even more reason to pay the models...
You'll not get professional-looking images by using amateurs, thought I take the point about using TFCD shoots as 'practice'. But for the 'real-thing' you presumably hire studio space, don't you?

No I converted my garage myself.

Yes I do, what I don't get is people not wanting to invest any money in something they're doing as a business.....

Models do the same - there are plenty of full time models that request TFP because they want a certain type of shot because their port is lacking.

untill models stop requesting TFP it will still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back