South-East England Thames Barrier

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
What's the best side of the River Thames to photograph the Thames Barrier. Also is it worth taking a boat trip past the Barrier for photos?

What's the best side of the River Thames to photograph the Thames Barrier. Also is it worth taking a boat trip past the Barrier for photos?
Depends on the time of day and therefore where the light is. If you go with a wide angle, you'll also get a lot of industrial buildings in the background.
The south bank has a path till just east of the barrier, so easy to access (there's a car park at the barrier).

I've still not got a completely satisfactory image of the Thames Barrier, but for illustration purposes:

This is from the south bank, looking slightly eastwards around sunrise.
Thames Barrier at Sunrise by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

This is looking west from the south bank:
Low tide at the barrier by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

If you are talking about the river-bus boats (clippers) they go through the barrier too fast to get a decent shot.
Don't forget to take not of tide times, it looks quite different at high and low tides: : http://tidepredictions.pla.co.uk/

I've not tried the north bank, but you can get to Thames Barrier Park via the DLR (Pontoon Dock station) but I don't think you can walk along the bank very far beyond the park.

Back