Thank goodness for canon 1dx mkII

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Posted in here as the subject isn't the picture

Did a boxing event tonight and as soon as I got thre I knew it was a bad one... no lighting for the ring and the surrounding tables and bar where much brighter..

canon 1dxmkII + Canon 24-70 mkii

640 shutter, f2.8 and a massive 51200 iso all night :(

first pic is a 100% crop straight out of the box shot as jpg with noise reduction standard as the camera comes...no resizing no nothing.. just as it is and cropped.. second pic shows what i am selling to the parents (along with others)

box_crop.jpb

box_sale.jpb

i love my one dx mk ii ....got me out of yet another sticky situation :)

That's good, quite impressive performance by the camera. I've been in a similar situation at karting and ended up using my 50mm f1.4 and 70-200 f2.8 on my 5d,

That's pretty amazing at that ISO. Nice capture too.

Great quality would love to see a side by side with the 1DX mki, given they are becoming very reasonable second hand now.

Great quality would love to see a side by side with the 1DX mki, given they are becoming very reasonable second hand now.

I would say a 1dx at 25600 would get the same as above.. I ahve used my 1dx at 51200 but didn't produce anyhting like this.. I can get a4 and a3 prints with full frame captures (not much cropping) where the 1dx you can print 7x5 at 51200 iso

in my experience :)

Very impressive Tony. Now you have me wanting a MKII for those winter night football matches at non league grounds where they use candles for floodlights.
Cant grumble though as the MKI does a decent enough job.

Very good! Ive just taken the plunge and got the 1DXM2. first outing is Saturday night for a band who want "moody" and tell me they use very little light...

Very good! Ive just taken the plunge and got the 1DXM2. first outing is Saturday night for a band who want "moody" and tell me they use very little light...

You will love it.. check out the ANTI FLICKER if the lights are a bit iffy.. it's a brilliant feature :)

is that an effect you where going for? not exactly used it to its full potential with really low ISO range used. ?

is that an effect you where going for? not exactly used it to its full potential with really low ISO range used. ?

This is the style they were after so all good on that front. I tried with high ISO and that did work well when the scene was overall dimly lit. However with the spotlights in the shot the lights were completely blown I guess the dynamic range was huge.

640 shutter, f2.8 and a massive 51200 iso all night :(

box_crop.jpb

box_sale.jpb

i love my one dx mk ii ....got me out of yet another sticky situation :)

Impressive for that ISO.

One suggestion I would make would be to shoot in RAW and drop the ISO by one stop to 25600. The image would be one stop darker but easily recovered in Lightroom/Photoshop but with much less noise and more detail. Or you could keep your ISO but shoot closer to 1/1000s to guarantee more sharp images. Again, any under exposure (up to about a stop lower) could easily be recovered.

Impressive for that ISO.

One suggestion I would make would be to shoot in RAW and drop the ISO by one stop to 25600. The image would be one stop darker but easily recovered in Lightroom/Photoshop but with much less noise and more detail. Or you could keep your ISO but shoot closer to 1/1000s to guarantee more sharp images. Again, any under exposure (up to about a stop lower) could easily be recovered.

Far too much hassle with hundreds of pics to be shooting RAW.... thanks for the sugegstion but it's not something I ever do.. the amount of jobs I do a week I need to get through the pics and online as quick as possible..

PS with RAW my white balance wouldn't work would it? I use anti flicker and doubt that would work either so all the pics would be RAW and need all those things fixing as well.. if anti flicker hasnt worked then this would eb a complete nightmare and unable to batch...

Last edited:
MIGHT be worth raw + JPEG and just process the raw files that would earn you more as bigger prints? Probably not though and any pic is a good pic to a parent!

MIGHT be worth raw + JPEG and just process the raw files that would earn you more as bigger prints? Probably not though and any pic is a good pic to a parent!

yeagh not a bad thought....... but to be honest doing maybe 500 pics a week on average... probably more.. thats the problem...the good thing about sport is theres plenty of opportunities through a game to get little frddy or wheoever so you can lose a couple..

i dont mind raw.. nothing against it.. just havent got time with the amount i do :(

Completely understand why you shoot JPEG - so do I! My suggestion was purely for potentially larger (physical size) print sales that could be possible from a well processed raw file. Of course, shooting both formats will chew into memory (not sure how much it affects frame rates on 1 series Canons).
FWIW, I never shoot raw for myself - hate doing PP beyond cropping and straightening where necessary!

I switched to jpg last week, it was so much faster. Also think there's some extra discipline in setting up that shooting raw and processing I was slacking up on. There's no impact on frame rates from recording both jpg and raw.

Back