Thanks to you all but..........

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I have to say this is a great forum! My original post was about what camera I should buy for a first DSLR out of the Olympus E510, Canon D400 and Nikon D40x, you said should I should go and have a play at a local camera store, so I did and I really like the Canon D400 so thanks for the advise. I want one and I want it now!!

The problem is :bang: I have been looking on WarehouseExpress.com
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/PHOTO/canoncashback_400d.html
and the price is very good but every body seems to slate the kit lens supplied. I have looked down all the bundles available and checked the lenses from lens link on this forum and they all seem to come up a bit short? Am I wrong in looking for a bundle thinking that I will get more for my money, I think a battery grip is a must for those emergence times when you cannot charge your battery, good old AA's! Should I just get the body? body and kit lens as I am a begginer or something else? Thanks for your time and expert opinions. I really want to start taking pics! Oh I should say that it will be mainly out doors pictures of landscape, trees type stuff and also a little portrait work.

Phade.

I've got the 400D and I had heard that the kit lens wasn't up to much, but I've seen some great pics with it.

I bought the body then bought the Sigma 18-50mm DC which I'm really happy with.

But it's really up to you - you could get the bundle kit - see how you get on then you can always upgrade later when funds enable you to.:) Not sure if that was much help at all ;)

The kit lens does get a slating, but I still use it for pretty much all my shots and I dont think it is a bad lens at all! it isnt pin sharp under some conditions, but it can be under others. I have never had a shot which has made me think "this would be so much better with a sharper lens" - it would make a small improvement with general sharpness, but it really isnt a "bad" lens.

As an example all the shots here - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=896 - are taken using the Canon 18-55 (IE the kit lens)

EDIT: those are all unsharpened too, simple auto level and resize (I really should go back and add some unsharp mask to them one day)

Not a Canon user so cant really comment on the lenses, but basically, use some common sense. Can you afford to buy the body and a seperate better than kit lens? If so, then you may as well, starting with a mid range zoom probably, along the lines of 18-70 mm, or whatever the canon users recommend as the best lens starting point. If you can't then go with the kit lens and work your way up.

Personally I dont think the grip is that important, having a couple of spare batteries is probably cheaper [depending where you source them] and use the money you save on better glass, but thats just my personal preference. Been using two DSLRs' for a couple of years now and still never felt the need for the grip, though it is on the 'eventual' shopping list ;)

I cant dispute that there are better lens out there but for a begginer the kit lens are pretty good. THese were taken with the kit 18-55 lens

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

All were also taken within two days of owning an SLR for the first time!!!!

I would say get the kit lens, get used to it and then dedide what other lens you want/need.

Jeff

I bought my Canon 400D just over a month ago, along with the kit lens, and a Tamron 70-300mm. I find the kit great lens to learn with, and intend to get a better one when I have mastered this one. At the minute I am 'learning' how to use my camera, and once I can do this I will up the lens quality. As for the grip, it is on my list of wants, but to be honest a fully charged battery will take about 350-400 shots depending how much flash you use, so how often are you going to take that many photos when you are out? At the minute just concentrate on the camera for a couple of months, to see what type of things you photograph, and then you can expand your kit accordingly. There is no point in getting every accessory going, and then finding you dont need them, but you could have done with something else instead. Hope that helps with the choice, the Canon 400D is a great camera by the way, I spent ages looking at different cameras before making my mind up, and know I made the right decision.

I am finding the 400D kit lens quite respectable, surprisingly so given the bad reports.

check prices at www.camerapricebuster.co.uk, also useful for some of the additional basic costs:
- spare battery
- CF card
- skylight filter for lens (if you want the protection)
- bag

it all comes down to your budget, I would leave the grip till last and just have a couple of spare barreries in your pocket. as for the lens it will probably be good enough for most just starting out but if you want different give them a ring and see what they will do for the lens you want in the kit. the other thing unless you are going for the credit term give kerso a shout he will beat there price and has great feed back from users on here ;)

I use a battery grip with two batteres, but when they're dead the camera is a paperweight.:shrug: One battery in the camera and a spare in your pocket might be better in some respects. I think the battery grip is desirable, but not a high priority for you at this moment.

I'm sure the kit lens doesn't really deserve it's bad rep, although I've never used one, but when it's being compared to far more expensive glass it's a mite unfair given it's price. Having said that I think your dough would be better going towards a better lens rather than a battery grip, which you can always add when finances permit if you feel the need. :)

I use a 400D and quite happy with the kit lens it does produce some good results,
though I have now "splashed out" on a couple of additional bits of glass,
I still have the kit lens.
I pretty much agree with CT's thoughts on a grip.

Again thanks for the fast and great advise, I only turned my back for a second and you all sneaked in! That's it I am going to buy the Canon D400 with the kit lens and take it from there :woot: .........hurry up postie!

Thanks again, hopefully pictures posted soon, :wave:

Phade

When I first entered the world of Canon dSLRs I had the kit lens and later replaced it with the 17/40 f4, I managed to produce images with the 18/55 that could easily have been mistaken for images through the L glass.

take bad press with a pinch of salt, most of it comes down to snob factor. so what if it's got a plastic mount, so what if the front element spins when focusing.....it's an entry level lens!

take bad press with a pinch of salt, most of it comes down to snob factor. so what if it's got a plastic mount, so what if the front element spins when focusing.....

Reminds me on the nifty fifty ;)

There's another thing to consider too, I used to use a 35-80 with film, prints were always sharp enough at up to about 10X8.

When I transferred it on to a digital body and started looking at shots at 100% I started to think, hmm, that's not too sharp. The reality is that unless you're pixel peeping every shot the 18-55 will be fine until you decide you actually want to bankrupt yourself in pursuit of the absolutely sharpest image you can get ;)

When I bought my 300D (nearly 4 years ago now) I got the 18-55 kit lens, and I have to say it is a great budget lens. When I bought my 30D i got another 18-55 with it as it only cost about an extra £40 (after cashback etc).

Okay, so its plastic, a bit wobbly etc, but for the money, there is almost nothing to compare (apart from the 'amazing' £50 F1.8 50mm lens)

It has had a lot of bad press, but as someone said, there is an element of snobbery, and no one seems to consider the value of the lens either. If I paid £50 for a car, which you can do, I wouldn't expect it go 200mph, corner like a Ferrari and have a perfect paint job.

Fact of the matter is, the kit lens is to allow people to buy a body that is in their price range, then go take photos with it.

If you compare the kit lens with some Sigma/Tamron lenses, it isn't too bad at all!

I shall buy a new body next year (whatever the 5D replacement is) and then my 30D will just be a spare body, so I will give my 300D to my wife, complete with a cheap but very useable lens to get her going.

Nice one Canon.

It's probably the best value lens out there to help you get used to your new body...and then you can sell...but not until you've posted 10 pics from it.

Bob

I too got the 400d with the kit lens, it is fine.
I may well upgrade when I can afford it but have had no problems with the lens and taken some nice pictures too.
It would be nice to replace it with some L glass but I don't have that deeper pockets so the kit lens will do for me(y)

Back