That new Pen thingy...

Will certainly be interested in your thoughts if you get one Andy.

Have you had an Olympus 17mm f1.8 before? A very good lens IMO and I with they were all built like it. The manual focus mechanism is very good and an improvement over the ordinary FBW system for me.
Yeah, it is a very sharp lens and is best at f2. It does lack character but it's great for b&w.

I'm not overly enamoured by the 17mm, 35mm equivalent isn't really my focal length anyway but it isn't as sharp as the other primes (nor the 12-40 pro), suffers from CA - even with correction - and bokeh quality is so-so.

Build quality, size and feel is nice though.

I'm not overly enamoured by the 17mm, 35mm equivalent isn't really my focal length anyway but it isn't as sharp as the other primes (nor the 12-40 pro), suffers from CA - even with correction - and bokeh quality is so-so.

Build quality, size and feel is nice though.

I've read criticisms of this lens before and either I've got the one sharp copy in captivity or I'm just not very demanding... I won't post any 100% crops in defence of the lens as stuff I post here via photobucket never ever looks as good as the original does on my screen and it's an exercise in futility and frustration for me so instead I'll just say that after owning the lens for some time and being unable to resist the temptation to pixel peep I have no complaints :D

Anyway, defence of the 17mm f1.8 over I'll move on...

Steve Huff enthuses about the Pen...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/01/26/the-new-olympus-pen-f-camera-review-just-wow/

Sadly for me he doesn't mention full time exposure and dof preview or being able to dial in compensation whilst using auto ISO but I'm already pretty sure that the camera doesn't do these things.

I do basically like MFT but I do think that the new Pen and GX8 and indeed all of the more higher end models face tough competition from Fuji and Sony with both their 6000 and A7 series cameras. Sorry to repeat myself but my A7 + 35mm f2.8 fits into the same bag my GX7 fits in and even accepting that MFT image quality is possibly good enough that still leaves the missing features that I've come to appreciate so much... exposure and dof preview in all modes and the ability to dial in exposure compensation whilst using auto ISO, in any mode.

If a higher end MFT camera with the features I want comes out I may well buy it but sadly the latest offering are falling short for me not so much on image quality but on the features I'd like.

Last edited:
The Pen F looks great but I wouldn't pay over £1k for one. Here's hoping the announcement will drive the price of the E-M5 MK2 down temporarily as people sell to upgrade to the latest and greatest...

...and then I can purchase a cheap E-M5 MK2 ;)

Last edited:
I've read criticisms of this lens before and either I've got the one sharp copy in captivity or I'm just not very demanding... I won't post any 100% crops in defence of the lens as stuff I post here via photobucket never ever looks as good as the original does on my screen and it's an exercise in futility and frustration for me so instead I'll just say that after owning the lens for some time and being unable to resist the temptation to pixel peep I have no complaints :D

Anyway, defence of the 17mm f1.8 over I'll move on...

Steve Huff enthuses about the Pen...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/01/26/the-new-olympus-pen-f-camera-review-just-wow/

Sadly for me he doesn't mention full time exposure and dof preview or being able to dial in compensation whilst using auto ISO but I'm already pretty sure that the camera doesn't do these things.

I do basically like MFT but I do think that the new Pen and GX8 and indeed all of the more higher end models face tough competition from Fuji and Sony with both their 6000 and A7 series cameras. Sorry to repeat myself but my A7 + 35mm f2.8 fits into the same bag my GX7 fits in and even accepting that MFT image quality is possibly good enough that still leaves the missing features that I've come to appreciate so much... exposure and dof preview in all modes and the ability to dial in exposure compensation whilst using auto ISO, in any mode.

If a higher end MFT camera with the features I want comes out I may well buy it but sadly the latest offering are falling short for me not so much on image quality but on the features I'd like.

It's not so much the 17mm is bad its just in comparison to the others, some of which are much cheaper its just a bit meh :) One of my favourite street photographers uses an EM10+17mm and his stuff ain't half bad!

I keep wondering about a Sony A7 but it's the size (and at the moment, choice and quality) of the lenses that stop me. However, if I did ever 'need' FF I wouldn't buy an SLR.

At the mo I have the Panny 20mm f1.7 and Oly 17, 25 and 45mm and three zooms. For me the 17mm fits right in with the other primes and doesn't stand out as being the worst of the bunch but as you may have gathered I may not be too demanding :D

IMO the A7 makes the most sense when paired with a compact prime. I was initially using manual primes on mine but I now have the 55mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8 and with either of these lenses IMO it competes in bulk and weight more with a top end MFT than something like a 5D.

My A7 MK1 is almost a whole EVF taller than my GX7 and about half an EVF taller than my G1 and unless bulk and weight are hyper critical I don't think the difference in size between any of these three cameras matters all that much. IMO none of these cameras are pocketable so a bag is needed and as I said, my A7 fits in a small bag, the same bag my GX7 fits in.

Prime wise the A7 series has excellent lenses. The 20, both 35's, the 55mm and the macro are all apparently excellent (I can only personally speak for the 35mm f2.8 and the 55mm f1.8 and they're both very good indeed) and then there's the Zeiss offerings.

Anyway, getting off topic here :D and my problem with the latest MFT offerings is mostly features rather than IQ so I don't want to complain too much about IQ.

Last edited:
But I've replaced these with my mysets on my EM5-II so have all of my mysets on the mode dial and so don't have to go into the menu system.
Yes. Me too. I'm pointing out that it is more significant that Olympus have done this now too.
My A7 MK1 is almost a whole EVF taller than my GX7
I think it's great that Olympus are upping the spec, yet reducing the size at the same time. So for those that want light weight kit, many came to m43 for just that reason, this is going the right way.

Yes. Me too. I'm pointing out that it is more significant that Olympus have done this now too.
Just got round to looking at the top dial and see it has c1, c2 etc, that is much better (y)

Oh, I like this one. Looks like a nice upgrade to my PEN E-P5.

I think it's great that Olympus are upping the spec, yet reducing the size at the same time. So for those that want light weight kit, many came to m43 for just that reason, this is going the right way.
Not sure they're making it smaller tbh, only difference with the EM5-II is that the viewfinder sticks out slightly more on the back and top on the EM5-II (although if you took the VF off the EM5 the Pen would be taller), and it's bigger than the other Pens (but obviously gains a VF)

http://camerasize.com/compact/#594.409,654.409,565.409,382.409,ha,t

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-28%20at%2009.27.59_zpswvndk0fu.png

Last edited:
Not sure they're making it smaller tbh, only difference with the EM5-II is that the viewfinder sticks out slightly more on the back and top on the EM5-II (although if you took the VF off the EM5 the Pen would be taller), and it's bigger than the other Pens (but obviously gains a VF)
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-28%20at%2009.27.59_zpswvndk0fu.png
Yes. It doesn't look good. :-( Panasonic and Sony still lead when it comes to compactness.penf.JPG

This, to me, is the proper replacement size comparison. Considering the VF is now build in, I'd argue it is comparable, compact enough, and a really good replacement.

image.jpeg

This, to me, is the proper replacement size comparison. Considering the VF is now build in, I'd argue it is comparable, compact enough, and a really good replacement.

View attachment 55513
Agreed it 's good considering the tech inside was just stating that they're getting bigger ;) I'm not sure how easy the VF will be to use for a leftie though, I can imagine my nose would be pretty squashed against the back :(

The more I look at the Pen the more I like it.

Yes, it's expensive and bigger than a GM5 and I do think that it could struggle against the Fuji and Sony offerings but even so I think it'll have its fans and I think they've done the right thing in stopping it bloating to quite the size of the GX8. I don't know why Panasonic have force fed that camera so much, maybe big heavy manly cameras that are expensive are more acceptable to the public than little light expensive cameras for girls? Part of the whole faux quality manly thing many are obsessed with these days?

It'll be interesting to see what the new Sony A6000 will look like. I expect it to be the same bland box but I do wonder if Sony are tempted to follow the likes of Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji and make the form more than just functional.

The more I look at the Pen the more I like it.

Yes, it's expensive and bigger than a GM5 and I do think that it could struggle against the Fuji and Sony offerings but even so I think it'll have its fans and I think they've done the right thing in stopping it bloating to quite the size of the GX8. I don't know why Panasonic have force fed that camera so much, maybe big heavy manly cameras that are expensive are more acceptable to the public than little light expensive cameras for girls? Part of the whole faux quality manly thing many are obsessed with these days?

It'll be interesting to see what the new Sony A6000 will look like. I expect it to be the same bland box but I do wonder if Sony are tempted to follow the likes of Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji and make the form more than just functional.

I think youll find its probably for the 4k, 4k cameras get hot. Perhaps also better handling.

From whats been rumored the A6100 will look pretty much just like the A6000, Sony tends to stick with their designs.

Heat may well be a part of it but I do suspect it's also a deliberate styling and marketing decision.

Yes, read that about the new Sony. Maybe they'll resist the bling look forever.

Heat may well be a part of it but I do suspect it's also a deliberate styling and marketing decision.

Yes, read that about the new Sony. Maybe they'll resist the bling look forever.

The A6000 handles very well ime, id be fine with it not being tarted up.

I think it looks a mess. But that's just my opinion.
I don't find it comfortable to hold either. Guess it's a good job we're not all the same ;)

I agree with @twist with the A6K. For me it fits my hand perfectly and I generally just use a homemade index finger strap attached to it when I'm walking round. I don't see nay reason for Sony to change the overall shape/styling when it works.

Does anyone know what this 50mp out of a 20mp sensor is about?

For me it fits my hand perfectly and I generally just use a homemade index finger strap attached to it when I'm walking round. I don't see nay reason for Sony to change the overall shape/styling when it works.

Lots of things just work and work well but some makers are going for a bit more than just a practical design and I suppose the Sony A6000 series and this latest Olympus are pretty good examples of this. The Olympus might not be to everyones taste but maybe even people that don't like it will believe that someones actually sat and thought about how it should look whereas other designs like perhaps the Sony's and my own Panasonics are less obviously... styled. If that's good or bad is a personal decision :D and the reason I brought this up earlier in the thread was because I wondered if Sony might go down the same path as others and do a retro styled thing. Myabe not :D

Does anyone know what this 50mp out of a 20mp sensor is about?
It'll be sensor shift tech like on the EM5-II. Several images are taken and between shots the sensor moves slightly, then the shots are composited to form a hi res image.

when my old pen worked I adored it, but died after 13 months and needed a complete re program by Olympus, common fault and expensive.
Be aware

AFAIK it shifts the sensor and takes more than one shot and combines them for a bigger file. I think :D
Better use a tripod then :)

Designing for the masses actually isn't all that clever in a crowded marketplace, it can be a good strategy to create something that divides opinion as at least it gets people talking.

It can be better to have 10% of people love it than have everyone a bit ambivalent.

when my old pen worked I adored it, but died after 13 months and needed a complete re program by Olympus, common fault and expensive.
Be aware
Which pen is that? Luckily that is what warranty is for. Can't say I've had any fault with my pen 5. But things do break, that is quite normal.

I remember when Bangle designed the BMW's and thinking... my God that's hideous. Same happens with cameras I suppose.

Better use a tripod then :)
Yep it takes a while, a second or so if my memory serves me right. An Olly rep told me they're trying to get it to work at hand held speeds but haven't managed it yet. Will help to freeze motion if they can as you can only really shoot static subjects at the mo due to the time it takes. I used it once on my EM5-II out of curiosity and haven't used it since. Most of my viewing is done on a 1680 x 1440 (IIRC) screen which is only 1.7mp so anything more than that is wasted. Even on my 5k screen it's only something like 8mp or so so the normal 16mp files are more than enough

Was an Olympus pen e-pm1. great little camera, lent to my daughter start up error happened.

Apparently Olympus are bringing one into work today so I'll be able to get my hands on it then I can make a decision whether to go for one or not. It will be at Park Cameras tomorrow also so i believe.

Well been watching this thread and reading reviews and I have to say I'm starting to really warm to this thing. ILove the look of it and have been a fan of m4/3 primes for some time. Once the price has settled, I could see me going for this, a 17mm and 45mm. Would make a really nice travel combo I suspect.

Be good to see some shot comparisons between the New Pen and the EM1 / EM5 mkii - that will show if it's worth 1k or to wait for the EM1 mkii which although I'm sure will cost more, will hopefully be an even bigger improvement.
I know 'size is an issue' but when we consider the considerable gain with M43 over DSLR, I personally don't mind a little 'growth' if we get an even more advanced and better product. Still a mighty big drop in weight imo.

Be good to see some shot comparisons between the New Pen and the EM1 / EM5 mkii - that will show if it's worth 1k or to wait for the EM1 mkii which although I'm sure will cost more, will hopefully be an even bigger improvement.
I know 'size is an issue' but when we consider the considerable gain with M43 over DSLR, I personally don't mind a little 'growth' if we get an even more advanced and better product. Still a mighty big drop in weight imo.
I"m not expecting much difference in IQ tbh, except of course you'll be able to crop a touch more with the Pen-F. Will be interesting to see if they've managed to keep noise under control with the extra MP.

Back