That's it Macs are going

Studio488commercial

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
We have a couple of network attached storage units, 14TB and a 8TB, the macs simply refuse to index folders where there are a couple of thousands files, they just fall overs and cry in the corner, so the post production macs are out and being replaced with PC's enough is enough as they say :) at least we will have a couple of nice door stops !

I have a 20tb network nas that my mac 'talks' to. Have about 70,000 photos, 500ish films - whats the issue?

I have a 20tb network nas that my mac 'talks' to. Have about 70,000 photos, 500ish films - whats the issue?

If there is a folder with say 2000 images in it, the macs will take 10-15 mins to index the folder, sometimes they simply fall over, the pc’s we use (scan 3xs) are less than a min, tried everything SMB connections, AFP, all sorts including changing finder for a couple of other file browsers, the macs indexing is horrible. If a folder consists of say 100 large png then again, the time for then to populate is not usable.

The network is fine, the PC’s fly, the macs are ok using smaller folders, it’s just if you give them anything large to do it goes snail pace, the Mac today in question is an 2015/6 5k i5 24gb ram so no exactly a slow one.

We have 3 post production machines left on Mac, so it’s time to change them I think, they will get demoted to become tether station machines on the rigs we use :) the shame of it.

Last edited:
Yea., it's not a popular opinion, but IMO Macs have always been terrible at NAS. I can think of ways round your issues (smaller folders grouped into larger virtual folders, turn off indexing and use a database to retrieve files etc) but a PC based file server is probably going to be the lowest friction way to go.

Back