The 23/24 Football Thread

The offside was wrong, without a doubt, but its not the first shockingly bad decision thats been made or ratified by VAR is it? I don't recall any other club suggesting, nor any previous media backing for, a replayed game, that would really open Pandoras box wouldn't it.

What this SHOULD do but won't, is highlight the incredibly arrogant decision made by PiGMOL not to accept the offer of the semi-automated offside technology used in the world cup, which has been demonstrated to be both quicker and more accurate than the low tech drawing of lines by incompetent officials.

I've just read an article on the BBC, where it said Liverpool are asking to hear the audio between the officials. That could be very interesting to hear what was said, and when it was said. The article intimated that the referee was being told that a mistake had been made, though he then let the free kick happen to restart the game, and so blocking the possibility of fixing the mistake. Potentially dodgy if true, but at the least unprofessional if any one of the officials have any doubts about the decision.

After releasing audio from the Virgil van Dijk red card incident a few weeks ago, not releasing the audio now would be very questionable imho. You either never let audio of incidents be replayed, or allow audio to be heard when requested. Time will tell.

Never happen, and I wouldn't expect even the possibility of it to happen. Unless the mistake is rectified at the time, nothing will come of it bar an apology. If they admit to their mistake.

Considering Liverpool have missed out on two league titles by 1 point to Man City over recent years, I am hoping this season is not as close either way, because losing by 1 point is bad enough, but to do that again, after that decision, and potentially 2 points lost, would be difficult to take.

Only time I can remember something being replayed was a cup game that involved Arsenal and us not giving the ball back when somebody was injured. Wenger asked if we could play the game again, and we won it again, by a bigger margin I think....

What a bloody mess that was..... And who is in charge?

Watching it again, it sounds as if the ref didn't hear the call at all, or just ignored it.

Last edited:
How did Kovacic not get a red, more incompetence by the officials!
How he didn't get a red for the first tackle alone is bad enough, but to do it again minutes later and not get a 2nd yellow is ridiculous. And Michael Oliver is meant to be the best we have!!

Still, "1-nil to the Arsenal" was ringing out in our house :banana:

Congratulations, you deserved it, no arguments from me, Kovacic was borderline red for the first, and the second was certainly worthy of a yellow. Can't believe Pep left him on after that, was like playing with 10 men, he was just a mobile cone for the next 30 minutes.

It's a very open season this year, City Arsenal and Liverpool are definitely in with a shout, and unless spurs go Spursy as they often do, you can't discount them either.

City a weaker side without a doubt, losing Mahrez and Gundog to replace them with Kova and Doku is definitely not a step forward, add in missing De Bruyne and a moment of Rodri stupidity and we look very average compared to the last few years. The only improvement the transfers bring is Gvardiol over Laporte, an area which least needed improving as Ake can happily play left back or centre half

More than £250m over the ffp limit has to have consequences. If this happens, they are down, even though they seem to have improved slightly over last season, I think they were still going to struggle this season.

I've said to some Everton fans I know towards the end of the last few seasons, but particularly last season, if they do go down, because of the chaos rut they have been in, I couldn't see them getting back up for awhile.

If this has any chance of happening, I wouldn't go anywhere near buying them, when, if you really want to buy them, you could get them for a fraction of whatever they are worth after this happens.

I think Man City and Chelsea will be watching this with interest. ;) :LOL:

5 for the gunners today, but then we were playing a Championship side...

My brother had tickets for the Liverpool v Sparta Prague game during the week. As I was waiting for him, a chap passed by with his son who was about 9-10. The young lad said "where are we sitting?", his dad said, "in the Kenny Dalglish stand". The lad replied, "will he be there?" :ROFLMAO:

Some very dodgy (non) penalty decisions in the Everton v Nottingham Forest game. Two definite penalties, and another 50-50 one imho.

Apparently Forest asked for the chap in charge of VAR on the day changed, because he was a Luton fan, and they didn't change him. After these decisions, looks very dodgy to me.

On Match of the Day, they thought that only one of the incidents should have been a penalty. :thinking: For the 2nd incident, Ashley Young can clearly be seen moving his arm out to the ball from one replay angle, yet they didn't seem to want to see that in the studio. :oops: :$ Not long after I see a similar incident in the Coventry v Man Utd game given, which if anything, was less of a penalty.

I would feel quite bad if I were a Forest fan after that game. These VAR decisions, or non decisions, are ruining the game. and to get so many wrong in one game. does not look good.

Some very dodgy (non) penalty decisions in the Everton v Nottingham Forest game. Two definite penalties, and another 50-50 one imho.

Apparently Forest asked for the chap in charge of VAR on the day changed, because he was a Luton fan, and they didn't change him. After these decisions, looks very dodgy to me.

On Match of the Day, they thought that only one of the incidents should have been a penalty. :thinking: For the 2nd incident, Ashley Young can clearly be seen moving his arm out to the ball from one replay angle, yet they didn't seem to want to see that in the studio. :oops: :$ Not long after I see a similar incident in the Coventry v Man Utd game given, which if anything, was less of a penalty.

I would feel quite bad if I were a Forest fan after that game. These VAR decisions, or non decisions, are ruining the game. and to get so many wrong in one game. does not look good.

Surely that VAR decision in the Coventry game deserves more criticism?

Both players feet on the line but one a toenail in front of the other. Ridiculous outcome.

Should we start equipping players with protractors, rulers and geodylytes to see where exactly they should be before they move?

Screenshot 2024-04-22 07.02.24.jpg

Especially as the lines were drawn before the pass was made and the defender is running back whilst the Coventry player is waiting for the pass. A bit of creative editing?

Especially as the lines were drawn before the pass was made and the defender is running back whilst the Coventry player is waiting for the pass. A bit of creative editing?

Can't not give the "benefit of doubt" to a Manchester team, what are you thinking? You should know by now that the brown envelopes are always bigger when they come from Manchester.....

The Coventry player was offside, it doesn't matter by how much, or what Coventry did to get back in the game. I would rather have VAR than not, because similar systems are used in other sports and work.

The Coventry player was offside, it doesn't matter by how much, or what Coventry did to get back in the game. I would rather have VAR than not, because similar systems are used in other sports and work.
He was in an offside position at the time the photo was taken. I would like to see the image half a second after. Because the offside decision is only made at the time the ball is played and that isn't evident from the published image.

Imo they should publish three images to show where the players were at the time the ball is played.

Agree - for offsides (bar the odd mistake) it is pretty black and white. Lots of fans saying Cov should have been given the advantage but they would be the same people moaning about big clubs getting their way if roles were reversed and Man U were given the goal.

Doesn't really matter if an inch or 10 feet offside.

A very weird passage of play in the West Ham v Liverpool game that has been overshadowed by the result, and the Klopp and Salah disagreement on the side of the pitch.

For those that did not see it, the ball comes over the West Ham box and their keep looks to graze the post with his ankle as he gets the ball, goes down, but is told to get up by the ref as he and all the players are falling back to the half way line for the kick up field. He gets up with no visible injury, and does not make any indication to the ref, or the bench, that he is injured. He rolls the ball forward 6-7 yards like he is going to kick it up field, but has his head down. Gakpo runs forward to get the ball, and suddenly the ref blows the whistle just before he gets to it, and Gakpo stops.

Gakpo was understandably confused, and asking why the whistle was blown. The ref runs up to the goalie and looks to tell him that he was injured, and to maybe go to ground, and then gesticulates for the physios to come on. The physios did not seem to be poised to come on, as if the had had not had any indication from the goalie that he needed them.

It was a very questionable passage of play. It would be very interesting to hear what the ref and VAR were saying during this, but like I said, other aspects of the game have overshadowed it.

A very weird passage of play in the West Ham v Liverpool game that has been overshadowed by the result, and the Klopp and Salah disagreement on the side of the pitch.

For those that did not see it, the ball comes over the West Ham box and their keep looks to graze the post with his ankle as he gets the ball, goes down, but is told to get up by the ref as he and all the players are falling back to the half way line for the kick up field. He gets up with no visible injury, and does not make any indication to the ref, or the bench, that he is injured. He rolls the ball forward 6-7 yards like he is going to kick it up field, but has his head down. Gakpo runs forward to get the ball, and suddenly the ref blows the whistle just before he gets to it, and Gakpo stops.

Gakpo was understandably confused, and asking why the whistle was blown. The ref runs up to the goalie and looks to tell him that he was injured, and to maybe go to ground, and then gesticulates for the physios to come on. The physios did not seem to be poised to come on, as if the had had not had any indication from the goalie that he needed them.

It was a very questionable passage of play. It would be very interesting to hear what the ref and VAR were saying during this, but like I said, other aspects of the game have overshadowed it.

I couldn't understand it at all. Why did Gakpo stop? OK, I didn't realise the ref had blown the whistle, so that was very bizarre as well.

Just saw this on this in relation to the West Ham v Liverpool incident outlined above on a West Ham fan site.

Keith Hackett has reacted to a “mistake” from referee Anthony Taylor as West Ham claimed a 2-2 draw with Liverpool on Saturday (27 April).

Controversy arose during the game at the London Stadium as Taylor played advantage after a foul on Alphonse Areola, with the Hammers shot-stopper rolling the ball out to take a free-kick.

Though the whistle was not blown for an awarding of a free-kick, Cody Gakpo was stopped from nicking the ball off the Frenchman, causing a mix-up between players and officials.

Reacting to the situation via X on Sunday (28 April), Hackett wrote: “He signalled advantage with his right hand. The goalkeeper must have thought he had awarded a free kick so threw the ball forward to take a free kick.

“When Taylor saw the Liverpool player advancing on the ball he stopped play. He then made a mistake by restarting the game.”

West Ham controversy shrouds Liverpool draw

With the current controversies surrounding referees and VAR officials, fans have started to question many of the decisions being made, and it is easy to understand the confusion with this one. While Liverpool fans can take issue with this specific situation, Areola was clearly hurt by the prior challenge and did not look fully comfortable to continue, which may have been a reason for his confusion.
You can clearly see the ref says play on, and contrary to the quote above, Areola did look comfortable enough to carry on, and at no point gestured to the bench that he needed help. After the ref stops Gakpo from getting the ball by blowing the whistle, you can see him mouth the word floor, presumably telling Areola to go down, and asks for the West Ham medical team to come on, which the keeper did not ask for at any point. This just stinks, and nothing will probably be done about this incompetence.

What about Arsenal's first and third goals where White clearly intimidates, obstructs and fouls the goalkeeper. I thought the fourth official was supposed to keep an eye on this?

What about Arsenal's first and third goals where White clearly intimidates, obstructs and fouls the goalkeeper. I thought the fourth official was supposed to keep an eye on this?

It goes on all the time, and the other way around too. Quite often you see keepers or defenders literally shoving players out of the way before the corner is taken. Ian Wright was famous for winding up defenders & goalkeepers at corners, taking the p*** out of their WAG etc. I can't remember who it was, but against West Ham he said something to a defender who through an elbow in his face, got sent off and Wright scored the penalty. It's football....

The big question is, will Man City falter or not. Personally I can't see it happening, but one can only hope.

The big question is, will Man City falter or not. Personally I can't see it happening, but one can only hope.
Forest gave City a good game, and with a bit better finishing/luck, it could have been a different result. Who'd have thought Forest would have more shots than City! :oops: :$

Arsenal haven't been having too many problems in games, and are scoring for fun. If City draw one of their games, it could go down to goal difference, and atm, Arsenal are 7 goals ahead. I hope it goes down to the last game to make it interesting. ;) :LOL:

It would have been nice for Liverpool to still have been involved in it, but after last season no one expected Liverpool to be anywhere near. And of the for things they were able to win, they got one of them. :banana:

I read something the other day that with wins in just four specific games over Klopp's reign, he could have got 3x Premier League titles and 3 Champions Leagues as opposed to just one of each! :oops: :$ That is amazing consistency when up against the might of Man City. It will be interesting to see how long Arsenal can go toe to toe with City over the coming years.

I'm hoping that City will be kicked out of the Premiere League. I've got a fiver riding on Haaland being top scorer in the Northern National League next season.

Can't see it - Spurs are my big hope! Its going to be hilarious with Spurs fans wanting defeat and Arsenal fans cheering Spurs if they score!!

Shame, as Arsenal are blowing teams away at times, but that Villa game was a bad one! City will win all of their games sadly

Arsenal need a world class keeper and a better striker (Toney?) - Jesus is not that good and although we score for fun and throughout the team, I think we do miss having a striker who can do that. But Saliba, Rice, Oodegard and Saka I think would get into any team in the world!

Arsenal need a world class keeper and a better striker (Toney?) - Jesus is not that good and although we score for fun and throughout the team, I think we do miss having a striker who can do that. But Saliba, Rice, Oodegard and Saka I think would get into any team in the world!

I am a neutral and I think that Rice and Saka should start every England game.

I am a neutral and I think that Rice and Saka should start every England game.

They should and they will.

I really can't see how a front 6 of Rice, Bellingham, Palmer, Foden, Saka and Kane cannot with this years Euros (ok, one thing, Southgate) - All on amazing form and best in the world. Plus we have the likes of Toney, Maddison, Bowen on the bench too!

I'd rather have Issac than Toney.

Why don't the FA bring in a "bonus point" like in rugby, so if you score 5 goals, you get an extra point. Would make the game interesting...

I'd rather have Issac than Toney.

Why don't the FA bring in a "bonus point" like in rugby, so if you score 5 goals, you get an extra point. Would make the game interesting...
Or they could bring in point deduction for breaking financial rules… just saying

They should and they will.

I really can't see how a front 6 of Rice, Bellingham, Palmer, Foden, Saka and Kane cannot with this years Euros (ok, one thing, Southgate) - All on amazing form and best in the world. Plus we have the likes of Toney, Maddison, Bowen on the bench too!

The most important part of that was - "ok, one thing, Southgate". I think he is one of the worst international managers out there, who has been blessed with having more talent than you can shake a stick at.

Back