The age old question - film and X-rays

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
OK so in April I am off to Italy and will be taking some cameras with me. Not sure what yet, but in the interest of traveling relatively light I think probably the M4 and my R-D1 with a 28mm lens to use on both bodies.

So I will take my film as carry-on, but should I ask to have it hand inspected or something? The general consensus seems to be that the film will be fine, but what about IR film, if I pull my finger out and buy the IR filter?

Here's my potential kit list:

Leica M4P body
Epson R-D1 body
Voigtlander 28mm M lens for above bodies

Ilford Panf 50
Ilford HP5+ 400
Kodak Tri-X 400
Kodak HIE IR
Fuji Velvia 50

I'm not sure if I should take another body with the colour film, maybe my Paxette or OM10. But then I don't want to carry 3 or 4 bodies. I think I'll get through the film pretty quickly so maybe I'll take the Epson and the M4 and if I need B+W when I have colour in the Leica I can use the Epson, and vice versa.

I'll probably lose sleep over this. :bonk:

Also, and this is going to sound dense, but an unfortunate drawback of the digital is that I'll need to rely on my 3 batteries - any specific adapter needed for my charger?

Cheers
ped

No one seems to have a problem with the X-ray scanners for hand held luggage at least in Europe and erm just taking one lens.........................................
When I went to Ibiza last year I had two 35mm SLRs, lenses and a P&S all in a back pack and the weight was 16lbs, no problem on my back.

edit: Dunno about IR film

Last edited:
Cheers Brian.

I only actually own one M lens so don't have much choice there, perhaps I'll bring the Paxette and OM10 too and get my mate to carry them :)

ped

Well with your 28mm, the OM10 with a nice recommended zoom about 70-210mm or 28-105mm should cover nearly everything.

There was quite a bit of discussion about taking film through airport security a while ago and in the end the general consensus was that its fine taking film through the hand luggage x ray machines but definitely not in the hold luggage. Although you can ask for a hand inspection most people seemed to be refused one.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=297679

I would leave the IR film behind though as HIE is already usually out of date and I don't know how the x rays could affect the film even more as IR film is much more sensitive than standard film due to the larger grain (hence it being quite grainy).

Last year I went to Italy with a mix of film from 100-400 all went through the Hand Lugage X-Ray both out to Italy and on the way home. All the film was ok.

Again as already pointed out don't stick in the lugage going into the hold as that has far more powerful scanner and will probably fog the film.

Would leave the Kodak HIE IR at home, way to sensitive to stick throu any scanner.

Agreed. I'm sure I read somewhere that very high speed film can be vulnerable too, but I can't see any problems with what you're taking. Some of us used to use foil bags as protection against X Ray fogging. I haven't a clue if they were any good though.

Just realised that I'm old enough to remember when flying was fun. Very little security, very few delays at the airports, and you could still smoke on the flight!

**** I'm sure I read somewhere that very high speed film can be vulnerable too***

To and from Spain I had no problem with Fuji 1600 colour neg being scanned.

Back