The age old question: Which lens for safari?

Edit My Images
Yes
Right, I have been on lensesforhire for a while now eyeing up the lenses and thinking about which one would suit me best for our safari trip in Sept[yes a while away but I wanna try and reserve early etc.]

I was looking at the 80-400mm cos that gives me an overall very good range in length, [don't mind too much about aperture] but lensesforhire.co.uk don't have an AF-S version of the lens :crying:

So would a 120-300mm HSM suit me? I am planning on taking my compact for the wider options, which will either be 'operated' by me or my sister[and also whether it decides it can autofocus or not, if not. I'm screwed :p]
But will 300mm be enough?

I also have to worry about hand luggage weight, cos I'm gonna be taking laptop in the cabin with me too - oh and then also what can fit in what camera bag - along with my laptop[suggestions for bag that can fit this lens greatly appreciated!!!]

So, can anyone :help:me please?

Edit: I have a kit lens and just bought a 55-200mm too, but I know that is too short

Are you looking at the f/4 or the f/2.8 version?(not 100% sure if the f/4 is 100-300)

If you're looking at the f/2.8 pickup a 1.4TC as well,you'll have a better focal length and the image quality or AF speed won't be affected that much

Are you looking at the f/4 or the f/2.8 version?(not 100% sure if the f/4 is 100-300)

If you're looking at the f/2.8 pickup a 1.4TC as well,you'll have a better focal length and the image quality or AF speed won't be affected that much

Which lens you asking about? 120-300 or 80-400? I THINK it's 2.8 if the 120-300mm.

Only problem I have at minute is Stewart's site keeps on crashing my safari down whenever I try and load past the homepage :(

Problem with the TC is, extra cost, and also what about the wider end? It'll eliminate that totally and I'll just be getting longer, or are you suggesting TC stay on and I swap between 120-300 and my 55-200?:shrug:

:ty:

I had a D40 and a 120-300mm f/2.8 and it works well though the D40 does look a bit small stuck on the end of it , you might get a bit of a shock at the weight though, it's a heavy lens if you're hand holding it , you'll need a monopod if you're using it for any length of time, the 1.4X TC works well with it giving a 420mm f/4 with very good image quality.

Which lens you asking about? 120-300 or 80-400? I THINK it's 2.8 if the 120-300mm.

Only problem I have at minute is Stewart's site keeps on crashing my safari down whenever I try and load past the homepage :(

Problem with the TC is, extra cost, and also what about the wider end? It'll eliminate that totally and I'll just be getting longer, or are you suggesting TC stay on and I swap between 120-300 and my 55-200?:shrug:

:ty:

120-300 is the 2.8

TBH factoring in the cost of the holiday the extra few quid for the TC seems small beans.

Having been on a safari the longer lens the better to be honest, 400mm would be ideal or you'll be doing a lot of hard cropping, so I'd definitely get the TC and keep it on most of the time, not to hard to remove if you need the wide end of the zoom :)

MB

Yes, I am not paying for the holiday :eek: no chance in hell, it is a 21st birthday present for my sister and my mother is paying. I am, however, paying for the lens hire etc.

wack, yes I am aware it is a huge lens, I have also had to warn my mum - don't think she quite realises what's in store.
I was thinking of bringing my monopod with, and also buying a beanbag off of Dean - that way I can rest the lens on the side of the jeep car :shrug:

I will look into getting the TC soon, will see what funds allow nearer the time!

Just off to see what the weight of the lens is and whether or not I can actually take it hand luggage with my other stuff :eek:

Any bag recommendations anyway - WILL any bags be able to take the size/weight of the lens? cos I know a lot of bags say they only take up to a 200mm lens :shrug:

WAAAIIT: What does 'packed weight' mean? If that is the actual weight of the thing, am I right in reading that it is 6kg ON IT'S OWN??? :eek:

I had a D40 and a 120-300mm f/2.8 and it works well though the D40 does look a bit small stuck on the end of it , you might get a bit of a shock at the weight though, it's a heavy lens if you're hand holding it , you'll need a monopod if you're using it for any length of time, the 1.4X TC works well with it giving a 420mm f/4 with very good image quality.

Wouldn't the D40 and 120-300mm f2.8 only work as a manual focused lens, the D40 doesn't have a focus motor built into the body so I think I'm correct in saying that the autofocus on this lens wouldn't work with the D40, D40x, D60 nikon bodies?

As for a lens for a safari trip, it will depend how close you can get to the action, but 300mm is very much a minimum focal length, probably looking at least 400mm.

The TC will work on the 120-300mm, but not on your 55-200mm. You've hit the major limiting problem with the D40/40X/60 nikon camera's, no focus motor built into camera, so your very limited on the longer zooms and prime lenses you can use, if any at all, unless you only want to manual focus the lens, also there are other related problems as well.

Peter

Pete, the 120-300 is a Sigma HSM, it will autofocus on the D40x, otherwise I wouldn't consider it, MF and safari I can't see working too well if I'm honest!

Pete, the 120-300 is a Sigma HSM, it will autofocus on the D40x, otherwise I wouldn't consider it, MF and safari I can't see working too well if I'm honest!

I didn't know that....

As for manual focus, most wildlife photographers probably use manual focus rather than autofocus (depends on your eye sight of course), the 120-300mm is fast, but 300mm is probably min focal length you need, that lens works well with 1.4x TC which I think you'll need, maybe even 2x TC?, it's not the lightest of lenses, weighing in at 2.5kg, so if you in a vehicle you might also want to think about a bean bag support to support the lens as a monopod or tripod could be restrictive.

Peter

Yep I was gonna buy a beanbag, was gonna buy one for safari whatever lens I had!
I'll go ahead and get the TC too, I think, cos there's no harm in it and isn't too much more on the costs.

I am thinking now to NOT take my laptop with, but I'll sort out bag etc nearer the time and decide the night before if I have to.

On a slightly different note will 16gb in memory cards be enough? I have one 4gb, and two 2gb and will buy an 8gb aswell. I do shoot in raw[10mp cam, can get around 250 shots on a 2gb card]

Does anyone know how you reserve items on lensesforhire, in advance?

Just off to see what the weight of the lens is and whether or not I can actually take it hand luggage with my other stuff :eek:

WAAAIIT: What does 'packed weight' mean? If that is the actual weight of the thing, am I right in reading that it is 6kg ON IT'S OWN??? :eek:
I guess I could/should answer this one....

Sigma say this lens weighs 2.6kg. I suspect (but haven't actually checked) that this probably doesn't include the lens hood, caps, carry strap etc. So when you're carrying it around, it's probably closer to 3kg.

We pack these lenses for transit in indestructible Explorer Cases. The lens plus case weighs 6.3kg. It's supplied with a TSA approved lock so the case can just go in an aircraft hold if necessary - though of course that has implications for your baggage allowance.

Any bag recommendations anyway - WILL any bags be able to take the size/weight of the lens? cos I know a lot of bags say they only take up to a 200mm lens :shrug:

There are certainly bags which can take a lens this size,and much more. Last year I met a customer at Heathrow T4 (long story) who was hiring a Canon 500mm f/4 to go on safari in South Africa. He had a camera rucksack which was easily big enough to take it alongside his own 300mm f/2.8! - and it still fitted within his carry-on allowance. But I'm afraid I don't know what type of bag it was.

On a slightly different note will 16gb in memory cards be enough? I have one 4gb, and two 2gb and will buy an 8gb aswell. I do shoot in raw[10mp cam, can get around 250 shots on a 2gb card]

I took a media storage device with me to OZ which had 40gig space on it, so downloaded my cards to that as backup. Depends if you think 2000 images will cover your holiday, cards are nice and cheap nowadays, no harm in buying a few more.

As for lensesforhire, jump on their website and email them I'm sure they'll be able to answer all your questions

Peter

I guess I could/should answer this one....

Sigma say this lens weighs 2.6kg. I suspect (but haven't actually checked) that this probably doesn't include the lens hood, caps, carry strap etc. So when you're carrying it around, it's probably closer to 3kg.

We pack these lenses for transit in indestructible Explorer Cases. The lens plus case weighs 6.3kg. It's supplied with a TSA approved lock so the case can just go in an aircraft hold if necessary - though of course that has implications for your baggage allowance.

There are certainly bags which can take a lens this size,and much more. Last year I met a customer at Heathrow T4 (long story) who was hiring a Canon 500mm f/4 to go on safari in South Africa. He had a camera rucksack which was easily big enough to take it alongside his own 300mm f/2.8! - and it still fitted within his carry-on allowance. But I'm afraid I don't know what type of bag it was.

Thanks very much for replying Stewart, so the lens comes in it's own proper safe case? If so, then I'll bung it in with my normal baggage as we're not gonna need to take much with us, so will have PLENTY of allowance left over for this.

I'm searching around to see if any rucksack type bags, like you mention, are around anywhere cos I WOULD rather have the lens with me, of course, than letting it go in the hold!:puke:

I took a media storage device with me to OZ which had 40gig space on it, so downloaded my cards to that as backup. Depends if you think 2000 images will cover your holiday, cards are nice and cheap nowadays, no harm in buying a few more.

As for lensesforhire, jump on their website and email them I'm sure they'll be able to answer all your questions

Peter

Yeah I was looking at the media storage whatsits, but it's just yet more money, and if I can usually[which I can] take my lappy with me, there's no need. But you're right, no harm in buying more memory cards!!

:ty: so much guys, your help has been invaluable and I'm getting excited already! :wacky::LOL:

Yep I was gonna buy a beanbag, was gonna buy one for safari whatever lens I had!
I'll go ahead and get the TC too, I think, cos there's no harm in it and isn't too much more on the costs.

I am thinking now to NOT take my laptop with, but I'll sort out bag etc nearer the time and decide the night before if I have to.

I doubt 16Gb will be enough - to give you an idea I shot 12 rolls of 36 exposure film in 2 days on safari the first time I went. Subsequent trips, I could easily go through 5 + rolls a day, depending on how much I saw - thats not including the 400 or so shots I took on my digital point and shoot. Next time I go, I will be using digital, and plan on having at least 8gb a day (about 600 shots in raw on my 40D).

Can you not give your laptop to someone else travelling with you to spread the weight around a bit?

gem, yes, I was planning that :naughty: I just need to see which fool in the family will settle for it. We shall see :LOL: my betting is on me sister:wacky:

I think I might aswell get a couple of 8gb cards, or whatever I'l do that nearer the time, gives me a chance to see if any are on offer at any time!

2 and 4gb cards are dirt cheap now, i'd sooner have 10 2gb cards than 2 8gbs

Is 16Gb enough? Depends on how long you are going for and how many shots you get on a card. 40D used to get 280 shots on a 4Gb card, the 50D gets 180, so I've invested in a couple of 16gb cards as well. I'm taking 52Gb at the moment for me and about 12gb for the 400D when I go on holiday to Sri Lanka soon.

After having travelled about in Tanzania I'd be very wary about adding and removing convertors in the field - fine dust everywhere.

Back