The Amazing Colour...

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
..of the humble fly. Ventured into the garden with the 150mm macro lens this morning. Sun shining and caught this chap hanging around on some shrubs. Its heavily cropped I admit, but I am not a natural macro photographer and its time to start learning ;)

Step 1 - learning to expose for these small beasties. This was in full sun which has given possibly too wide a range of high and low lights.

3485556413_c87053b86d_o.jpg

Not too shabby Yvonne (y)
now just try and get that near wing in focus next time :D.................

Not sure the catchlight is quite right in eye #1
&
Not sure the catchlight is quite right in eye #2
&
Not sure the catchlight is quite right in eye #3
&
Not sure the catchlight is quite right in eye #4
&...

oh you get the joke :LOL:

In my days of owning a macro I never got close enough to any of these sorts of wee beasties, and yes, I can see how an iridescent one would be tricky in full sunlight :eek:

Good effort

DD

But yes, I agree, need to get more practice at the focusing lark (y)

My lazy macro tip for handheld shots...

Put the camera onto it's max frame rate and shoot a 2 sec burst moving EVER so slightly forwards & backwards from where you think the focus point should be - delete like mad on your computer later (y)

I'd never have done that in the olde film days :eek:

DD

Nice shot Yv, lovely colours... Room to spare on the shutter speed, and at the working distances, the DOF is very narrow, try f10 or so, might need some more to get that wing in too.

Love it Yv - and the depth of field used works for me - gives it some size (not sure if that makes sense :))

Colours are great but these are my least favourite insects :(

Great shot though!

Greenbottles are pretty colourful in the sun aren't they, nice shot Yvonne ;)

holy thread revival batman :LOL:

Thanks oldson, it was taken with natural light. ;)

good that was the answer i was hoping for!
just bought a macro lens and cant stretch to an external flash just yet(skint now)
but at least i shall be able to try the lens out when i get it. (if the sun's out, i guess):)

Back