The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I literally have a back up system...

I don't have any Sony flashes yet so in the evening I have to switch to 100% Canon....meaning some point tomorrow I will put all the Sony stuff away and get the Canon stuff out.

I bet very few people if any, ever has ever tried that before!

Sell the Canon gear and go all Sony ;)

I have started using them without the grips. I don't find hand holding that big a problem without a grip which I didn't really expect. The weight savings makes a real difference for me. Usually after a wedding I can really feel it in my back.

Will hang on to the grips for wet days though am sure there will plenty of those over the next few months.

I rather stupidly bought the Sony grips which feel like they are made out of paper.

I only got the grips for heavier lenses lad. Don't use one on the smaller lenses

Can't believe you never learnt anything from the d750 thread :rolleyes:;)

I'm normally reasonably careful and both the Nikons have screen protectors. But no one mentioned it on here so thought it'd be ok :p

Never mind, it's there to be used and if I can remove that part of the screen then I'll do that (then probably scratch it again)

+1, same for all cameras. I'm careful but s*** happens.

I never had it on my 30D, 5D2s or 5D3s. I never broke the screen on them but when I came to sell them, all of them had scratches on the screen, some faint, some less. None of which bothered me so no idea why I thought I would put it on the 5D4, then this happened a few months afterwards.

Freak accident that the top edge impact point hit the corner of my pelican. A lot of the crack are actually from me peeling it off but the glass took all the forces and the screen underneath didn't have a scratch.

zOT2uPj.jpg

You can still see a faint mark on the body itself above the screen.

RHBTCN9.jpg

I wonder just how many SOny owners do not know about this? A lot of the used bodies on the likes of MPB look to have this issue, it's even in the description the LCD has marks.

Video mainly but its actually amazing for stills. Not that I'll use it for that haha

My missus uses our Nikon 24-70 a lot and I am trying to convince her to switch over. That might do I don’t wanna pay the money for the Sony.

Mainly because I will never use it. :D

My missus uses our Nikon 24-70 a lot and I am trying to convince her to switch over. That might do I don’t wanna pay the money for the Sony.

Mainly because I will never use it. :D

Man its a gift. Vikki loves them!

Oh my. The Sigma 135 is insanely sharp and accurate. Dare I say better than the 85mm

How do you guys who shoots dual bodies sync the time on the Sony bodies? Seeing it doesn't show the SECOND in the clock settings?

At the moment I end up taking a photo of the online atomic clock on the day just before the shoot then afterwards sync each set to the time on that photo.

I can't help to think there must be a more high tech way of doing things.

How do you guys who shoots dual bodies sync the time on the Sony bodies? Seeing it doesn't show the SECOND in the clock settings?

At the moment I end up taking a photo of the online atomic clock on the day just before the shoot then afterwards sync each set to the time on that photo.

Can you not sync the camera to the GPS in a smart phone or tablet using the Playmemories app? This video mentions syncing the time near the end. Maybe you could sync both cameras to the GPS at the start of the day and see if they keep the time when the GPS is turned off.

I just set them both to a given time and then hit OK at the same time on both bodies. Seems to work well enough as any switched between bodies take longer than the millisecond difference I might see.

I scratched my A7 screen whilst in Disneyland so may give this a go.

This has been covered a few times but it’s easy to do. Picked up an A7rii amazingly cheap once because you could barely view the screen. Couple of minutes later with the kitchen knife treatment and it was looking brand new again.

My order is going in for an A73 this week, with a 35 and 85.

Talk 35mm to me.. Is the Sony QC really as bad as they say?

The Sigma for me has been brilliant. Very happy with it! The Zeiss is renowned for bad copies, check out the lensrentals article on it

When I bought my first A7III a couple of weeks back I bought the Sony 35 and the Sigma 35 as I wasn't sure which one to go with. I read all the reviews about decentering etc. on the Sony but while I do like the Sigma Art lenses I wanted to make sure I was making the right choice as reviews don't always tell the real story.

I used both for a few days and decided to keep the Sigma and return the Sony. It wasn't that the Sony was bad because it wasn't. It was maybe a hair quicker in terms of a.f compared to the Sigma especially in backlit situations but I just preferred the look of the Sigma possibly because that was what I was used to with my Nikon stuff.

In terms of value for money the Sigma absolutely wins hands down, not even a question about it. I am more than happy with my choice.

Still making my mind up on the 85mm. I bought the Sony 85mm f/1.8 from the classifieds but have only given it limited use and it seems okay without being wow. I haven't used it much yet though, but will likely jump to the Sony 85mm f/1.4. Just struggling to part with my Nikon 85mm f/1.4 just yet and there is no point having both. The 85mm f/1.8 does appeal in terms of weight, it's seems very sharp but then again it isn't much good at f/1.4 :D and it does have noticeable C.A.

One small thing but for me I find it a great feature the Sony lenses have the focus hold button on the lens which can remapped to the eye a.f button which I have found personally the best way to easily engage the eye a.f in terms of comfort when shooting.

Last edited:

This has been discussed at length... so without wanting to start yet another 35mm religion war I still think the FE35/1.4 is the best one of the lot overall.

And Sigma ART is best value for money.

I'm sure I read somewhere that one problem with the 35mm f1.4 is that they use shims to tweak the performance. If that's true it's probably going to be a recipe for wide variations no matter how good the intentions as production staff wont give you consistency with a fiddly setup.

I wonder how much is internet panic though as reading on line you'd think this lens was an absolute dog but if it was that bad surely Sony would have been so inundated with lenses to repair they'd have done a MK2 by now... so I assume that the returns must be at least manageable.

Back