The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And if the af can perform as well as native Sony lenses on Canon lenses then canon are on trouble. Why get a 5ds when u can buy a a7r2 cheaper and better iq and features?

canon pro support is much better, and i expect the af to not be as good, but ive not looked at reviews and vids, i cant afford either so dont matter to me (;

Since the new A7RII comes with on board stabilisation, why would I need IS lenses? This leaves Sony's e-mount lenses even thinner on the ground surely.
As this would be a move from DSLR to Mirrorless given I sell the only Canon lens I have left (rather big and heavy at least for me), what does the panel think would be a good selection of FF capable non-stabilized lenses that I should be looking at and what adapter to get full functionality out of this new body please?

... what does the panel think would be a good selection of FF capable non-stabilized lenses that I should be looking at and what adapter to get full functionality out of this new body please?

What are you looking for? Primes or zooms and what focal length do you like?

I like primes and as there are now or imminently 25, 28, 2 x 35, 55 and 85mm lenses and a 90mm macro that's a pretty good line up to choose from for me should I want AF lenses. There's also AF 16-35mm, 2 x mid range zooms and a 70-200mm.

Yeah I missed that info out. TBH going for this body (unlike some on this forum :)) will not leave me a lot of money to get a selection of lenses (possibly including a mount), but perhaps I could grow a collection over time. For example if I bought second hand (EF lenses are all I've used) but open to system suggestions providing that doesn't start a war on here;)!) buy one mount and look at acquiring some primes say 24mm 50mm 85mm (ultimately say a 200mm). All I have been looking at so far is an all in one walkabout SonyFE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens for now and it doesn't look like you can switch off the stabilization though and my gut tells me such a jack of all trades lens might be master of nothing?:thinking:

Yeah I missed that info out. TBH going for this body (unlike some on this forum :)) will not leave me a lot of money to get a selection of lenses (possibly including a mount), but perhaps I could grow a collection over time. For example if I bought second hand (EF lenses are all I've used) but open to system suggestions providing that doesn't start a war on here;)!) buy one mount and look at acquiring some primes say 24mm 50mm 85mm (ultimately say a 200mm). All I have been looking at so far is an all in one walkabout SonyFE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens for now and it doesn't look like you can switch off the stabilization though and my gut tells me such a jack of all trades lens might be master of nothing?:thinking:
Well if the AF with canon lenses is really that good , some of us can use our canon lenses properly

I've been away for months and not used my gear that much. Just started using the A7 + the 55mm again . . .

18801313769_d0d7cb547a_c.jpg

Regarding the Sony FE 24-240mmf/3.5-6.3 OSS
Can the OSS on this lens be disabled?
I suspect that double bubble IS with the A7RII and this lens might not be compatible?
Also any feedback on this lens would be appreciated. Yes I can look at reviews on websites, but better to hear what a 'real' user thinks.
If you just want to sell me yours I'll be suspicious :bat:

But my pocket tells me otherwise :cautious: Not that this lens is 'cheap' !
If I can get a year or two's shooting as an amateur who is used to shooting Canon EF 24-70 L or Canon EF 70-200 L IS II on this super looking FF Sony sensor [A7RII] having come from a 1D3 10 MPickle Canon sensor that's what I need to know. I know the best glass is best BUT on my pension and getting stuff past my wife is difficult. Don't mean to be doomist about this but this could be my last foray into taking my gear out everywhere otherwise I keep the residue of my Canon sales and blow it elsewhere :nailbiting:

Regarding the Sony FE 24-240mmf/3.5-6.3 OSS
Can the OSS on this lens be disabled?
I suspect that double bubble IS with the A7RII and this lens might not be compatible?
Also any feedback on this lens would be appreciated. Yes I can look at reviews on websites, but better to hear what a 'real' user thinks.
If you just want to sell me yours I'll be suspicious :bat:

I assume it's the same as the A7II

https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7-mkii-hands-one/

Michael Reichmann said:
This raises some questions as to what works with what, and how. Here is what I’ve been told by Sony:

If a Sony lens with built-in stabilisation is used, in-body Steadyshot does not need to be turned off. The camera will make the choice of which stabilization system to use based on automatic identification of the lens when it is attached. Of course as with all stabilisation systems, if the camera is tripod mounted all stabilization systems should be disabled.

In the case of an E-mount OSS lens mounted on the A7 MKII the camera can utilize 5-axis stabilization in one of two ways: The in-lens OSS system compensates for pitch and yaw (optimized for the focal length, of that particular lens), while the in-camera system compensates for horizontal (X axis) and vertical (Y axis) shift, as well as roll (Z axis). In other words, both systems are used simultaniously, as best determined by the camera.

I should use my FE55 more. Give it a good chance to show its worth. I've had it two months and used it once!!

I may as well have a fixed lens camera to be honest, never leaves my A7II. It's scarily good, the detail it renders is insane.

I may as well have a fixed lens camera to be honest, never leaves my A7II. It's scarily good, the detail it renders is insane.

I did actually take it out with me yesterday so I'm getting closer to using it lol I just always use the CV40/1.4 instead. Love the FOV of the 40mm. I'll have to stick it on the camera and go out so I have no choice!!

Seems there is only one such lens!
I think Julian (Shrubmonkey) just stopped me in my tracks.
Researching this Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens has just blown away any ideas of getting the Sony 24-240 zoom.
Looks like such a new Hi-Res sensor deserves to have something like the 55 on it.

Yup the FE 55mm f1.8 is a must have lens for A7 owners, I also feel the 70-200mm is a stellar lens also.
In fact most of the Sony FE line up is delivering on the IQ front. :)

I can imagine we haven't even seen half of the resolving power of the new FE lenses. Sony probably test them on their pre alpha alpha 100mp organic sensors that they are working on before they get the sign off for public release..hehe

Haven't been able to get out for a couple of weeks but hoping to get away this coming week and in the meantime I had a play with a picture of my GF on the pier. I exposed mostly for her and so the background is a little too light in the original shot so I tried to select her, inverse and then darken the sunset a bit. This is good stuff for ME! Best option would probably be fill flash but I don't have one.

Original exposure.

Select, inverse and darken.

PS. I agree with those praising the 55mm f1.8. It's a very good lens :D

Until now the best AF 50 I've had was the old non Art Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I thought that it was a very good lens but the Sony is IMVHO better.

Last edited:
She is asian and therefore will always be a little darker :D I might lighten her a little more but not too much.

Since everyone seems to be showing off how super sexy sharp the FE55 is, I might as well join in.

Michelle in Fuerteventura
by RSPhotography UK, on Flickr

Feel free to open the full size image and zoom in on her face. Every time I get this little wonder out it just blows me away with what it can do wide open.

Since everyone seems to be showing off how super sexy sharp the FE55 is, I might as well join in.

Michelle in Fuerteventura
by RSPhotography UK, on Flickr

Feel free to open the full size image and zoom in on her face. Every time I get this little wonder out it just blows me away with what it can do wide open.
Beautiful image. Beautiful subject. But so much inuendo in the description...hehe

Back