The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It is gas. Just go take your family on a trip to the philippines for example and bring your existing camera and a couple of lenses and shoot. Best cure for gas

Oly have a free rental scheme for those who wants to try out their gear. Just give them a deposit (fully refundable) and pick up your rental gear.

@Riz_Guru is probably using this?

Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested.

Scratching my head here. Surely the 25mm 1.2 is bigger than your zeiss 55mm?

I’m keeping my Sony gear :) as it’s pretty unbeatable really.
Just wanted to test out a M43 system with their pro prime lenses :D
I’m going to take the Sony A7 III, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and possibly another lens to Dubai. :D

Requested the Olympus OMD EM-1 Mark II, 12-40m f2.8 , 25mm f1.2, 45mm f1.2 and 75mm f1.8 PRO lenses. :eek: :D

I'm guessing that you'll find performance across the frame quite good but at high magnification FF may well be sharper especially in the central area.

I've been impressed with the lenses I have and if some of the best MFT lenses could be scaled up to FF and keep their performance they'd possibly be amongst the best ever.

I’m keeping my Sony gear :) as it’s pretty unbeatable really.
Just wanted to test out a M43 system with their pro prime lenses :D
I’m going to take the Sony A7 III, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and possibly another lens to Dubai. :D

I need a holiday. Me and Mrs WW might be going away for two weeks next July or August to either Singapore of Thailand. I'd like to see Singapore and especially the garden by the bay but on the whole I'd rather go to Thailand.

If we get to go I'd love to take my A7 and a bright shiny new 35mm f1.8. Come on Sony...

:D

I went on the Mersey Tunnel Tour last week and took along my A7 with just a Nikon 20/3.5 as I was expecting a lot of long tunnels and dark hallways. I also grabbed a couple of long exposures of the Albert Dock/Mann Island on the way back to the car (using a Manfrotto Pixi). I keep getting GAS and looking at different systems but the A7 sensor still delivers good results.

I've spent months deciding on upgrading from my A7 & A7r and go with either an A7rII or A7III, having had the A7 since launch GAS pressure has been immense. But gone full circle for all their quirks and issues, can't justify the upgrade, so will keep them for as long as I can I reckon :)

Back to the old chestnut of size and weight....... its just something I want to try out, as a personal camera I think it would be good enough, for professional work I am not so sure.... no Eye-AF is a bummer although Face-Detect was super sticky.
I had a good play with the Olympus OMD E1 Mark II in store with some Pro lenses and its a pretty quick little body... felt good in the hands and some of the prime lenses are razor sharp too.
nice colours too :rolleyes::exit:

I've spent months deciding on upgrading from my A7 & A7r and go with either an A7rII or A7III, having had the A7 since launch GAS pressure has been immense. But gone full circle for all their quirks and issues, can't justify the upgrade, so will keep them for as long as I can I reckon :)

Sounds like where I am. I shoot more manual glass than AF (mainly because the combination of A7 and FE50 isn’t the fastest in anything other than good light) so would like IBIS. I could swap for an A7ii for IBIS but GAS and affordable lens options has got me looking at going back to an A6* body, so an A6500. At the same time I’ve also been looking at XT-1/2’s because their lens lineup looks better/affordable, but no IBIS. I’ve also considered chopping it all in for an X100F and stripping back but think I’d miss the flexibility!

I had a Panasonic GF1 ages ago and really liked the sensor/lenses so M4/3rds is still an option.

As it is, the first thing I need to do is clean my sensor!

Last edited:
Sounds like where I am. I shoot more manual glass than AF (mainly because the combination of A7 and FE50 isn’t the fastest in anything other than good light) so would like IBIS. I could swap for an A7ii for IBIS but GAS and affordable lens options has got me looking at going back to an A6* body, so an A6500. At the same time I’ve also been looking at XT-1/2’s because their lens lineup looks better/affordable, but no IBIS. I’ve also considered chopping it all in for an X100F and stripping back but think I’d miss the flexibility!

I had a Panasonic GF1 ages ago and really liked the sensor/lenses so M4/3rds is still an option.

Very similar too me, also toyed with an X100F for the same reasons.

I'd love silent shutter option for candid street shooting as the original A7's must have one of the loudest shutters of any mirrorless system. But I've picked up an LX100 on the classifieds to feed my street shooting interests

Same. I've had the A7 for many years now & happy with what it does (for what I do!) FE85/1.8 is staying. My old manual lenses are staying (I have 35mm film too). The cheap 28-70mm does okay for landscapes/hiking. I have the FE35/2.8 which I hardly use. I have the Voigtlander 40/1.4 which I use the most.

I liked the initial Batis40 rumours...... Not now though! The cost of the Batis is a fair wedge towards a used A7iii upgrade. Or I could chop the FE35 for the Samyang 35, add that to the Batis40 cash, sell the CV40/1.4 & FE28-70mm & pick up the Tamron 28-70mm & the Voigtlander E 40/1.2

My current thinking, is pick up the Voigtlander 40/1.2 in E mount when available. See how I get on with it, & then decide what route to take regarding the other 35/40mm's

A7&L Bracket - 575g
CV40/1.4 - 175g
FE35 - 120g
FE85/1.8 - 370g
FE28-70 - 295g

About 1500g all in. I like that see :)

Same. I've had the A7 for many years now & happy with what it does (for what I do!) FE85/1.8 is staying. My old manual lenses are staying (I have 35mm film too). The cheap 28-70mm does okay for landscapes/hiking. I have the FE35/2.8 which I hardly use. I have the Voigtlander 40/1.4 which I use the most.

I liked the initial Batis40 rumours...... Not now though! The cost of the Batis is a fair wedge towards a used A7iii upgrade. Or I could chop the FE35 for the Samyang 35, add that to the Batis40 cash, sell the CV40/1.4 & FE28-70mm & pick up the Tamron 28-70mm & the Voigtlander E 40/1.2

My current thinking, is pick up the Voigtlander 40/1.2 in E mount when available. See how I get on with it, & then decide what route to take regarding the other 35/40mm's

A7&L Bracket - 575g
CV40/1.4 - 175g
FE35 - 120g
FE85/1.8 - 370g
FE28-70 - 295g

The A7iii on the classifieds has been soooo tempting, but I've resisted :D

Got the 100-400 today so I did a quick test (I say quick, couple of hours ha) against the 70-200 GM (same tests I did with the F4 vs 2.8 70-200s and the 1.4x TC)
From 100mm to 180mm using the same aperture, iso & shutter on the two I cant tell them apart, The 70-200 goes slightly soft at 200mm which gives the 100-400 the edge. Wide open at 100mm (2.8 vs 4.5) and 135mm (2.8 vs 5) the 100-400 just has the edge as I expected, the 70-200 goes slightly soft but its only in the corners so could be my dodgy set up :p

Now to waste a few more hours throwing the sigma 150-600 in to the mix :D

I went from A6000 - A7ii - A7Rii - A7Riii and going from the A7ii to Rii wasn't much of a upgrade but going from the 2 to 3 was imo. I bought a back up A7 a few weeks ago and it felt alien to me. Made me realise how much the buttons / layout etc has changed.

Just seen this on DPReview, may be an widespread issue, may not.

Sony users are reporting issue using 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD cards with a7 III

Don't think I have seen it mentioned.

Yeah seen this a few days ago it’s only cards that end in a certain serial number. SanDisk recently made some changes to those 95mb 128 GB extreme pro cards and they arent’t working In slot one on Sony bodies.

Funny too as they have dropped to all time low price of £39.99 on Amazon.

It was on the Sony rumour site the other day.

Last edited:

A7&L Bracket - 575g
CV40/1.4 - 175g
FE35 - 120g
FE85/1.8 - 370g
FE28-70 - 295g

At the moment, my kit is;

A7
Sony FE50
Samyang 85/1.4
Voigtlander Nokt 40/1.4
Nikon 20/3.5
Om Zuiko 35/2.8
Om Zuiko 50/1.8
Om Zuiko 50/3.5 (macro)

Various selection of OM 35mm film kit, medium format film kit and a selection of large format Chroma’s!

If I go back to an A6* body I’d probably keep the Voigtlander and sell the A7, FE50, Samyang and Nikon. I’d then probably pick up a 50/1.8E (again), Samyang 12/2 (again!) and maybe the FE85 for something longer.

My main issue with sticking with Sony is the lack of constant 2.8 walkabout. While I like using primes, there are times where a solid walkabout would be useful. This then gets be looking at Fuji (16-55) or Canon again (possibly an M5 with EF-S lens to try something new, although I’m not 100% sure I like the handling).

At the end of the day, the results from my A7 are still as good as they were when I bought it 2 years ago. I think I’m also hanging on to the FF sensor rather than ‘downgrading’ in size, yet the results are clearly only marginally different in all but the most difficult situations.

A7
Sony FE50
Samyang 85/1.4
Voigtlander Nokt 40/1.4
Nikon 20/3.5
Om Zuiko 35/2.8
Om Zuiko 50/1.8
Om Zuiko 50/3.5 (macro)

Various selection of OM 35mm film kit, medium format film kit and a selection of large format Chroma’s!

If I go back to an A6* body I’d probably keep the Voigtlander and sell the A7, FE50, Samyang and Nikon. I’d then probably pick up a 50/1.8E (again), Samyang 12/2 (again!) and maybe the FE85 for something longer.

My main issue with sticking with Sony is the lack of constant 2.8 walkabout. While I like using primes, there are times where a solid walkabout would be useful. This then gets be looking at Fuji (16-55) or Canon again (possibly an M5 with EF-S lens to try something new, although I’m not 100% sure I like the handling).

At the end of the day, the results from my A7 are still as good as they were when I bought it 2 years ago. I think I’m also hanging on to the FF sensor rather than ‘downgrading’ in size, yet the results are clearly only marginally different in all but the most difficult situations.

Err tamron 2875 2.8, which costs less than the fuji 1655. Fuji lenses are not cheap.

Yeah seen this a few days ago it’s only cards that end in a certain serial number. SanDisk recently made some changes to those 95mb 128 GB extreme pro cards and they arent’t working In slot one on Sony bodies.

Funny too as they have dropped to all time low price of £39.99 on Amazon.

It was on the Sony rumour site the other day.

Trouble is I've seen quite a few fakes from amazon and had some myself so its not somewhere I would be buying my cards from.

A7
Sony FE50
Samyang 85/1.4
Voigtlander Nokt 40/1.4
Nikon 20/3.5
Om Zuiko 35/2.8
Om Zuiko 50/1.8
Om Zuiko 50/3.5 (macro)

Tamron 28-75/2.8?

Err tamron 2875 2.8, which costs less than the fuji 1655. Fuji lenses are not cheap.

The Tamron is definitely a possibility. My only concern is the relatively slow AF with the A7 meaning I’ll still be frustrated.

With regards to Fuji lenses, you’re right that the 16-55 is the same price (used) as the Tamron (new) so probably not a great example! The other primes in the Fuji range are cheaper than those equivalent Sony lenses though.

There’s also a certain amount of GAS involved too ;0). I know the A7 still delivers results I like.

Trouble is I've seen quite a few fakes from amazon and had some myself so its not somewhere I would be buying my cards from.

All the cards reported to SanDisk with this issue so far have been confirmed by SanDisk as being genuine.

The Tamron is definitely a possibility. My only concern is the relatively slow AF with the A7 meaning I’ll still be frustrated.

With regards to Fuji lenses, you’re right that the 16-55 is the same price (used) as the Tamron (new) so probably not a great example! The other primes in the Fuji range are cheaper than those equivalent Sony lenses though.

There’s also a certain amount of GAS involved too ;0). I know the A7 still delivers results I like.

It'll be no more faster or slower than other native lenses. In fact it'll be better than your FE50/1.8

Back