The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

100mm is tempting. Wondering if they have a 200mm one?

Yes it is tempting but I have a Rokkor 135mm f2.8 so I don't really need the FD.

Doesn't look like they have a 200mm prime but Ffordes have two 200mm f4's...

https://ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD

I'm not a great long lens user but I do have a couple of portraits that I like that I took with the Rokkor 135mm f2.8.

PS.
For anyone who isn't a great user of 28, 35 or 50mm lenses these lenses can make sense as they're so cheap it doesn't matter if you only use them a couple of times a year and also they've great for hyperfocal / Merklinger method or zone focus type shooting. The 28 and 35mm in particular would be great for street shooting and pretending it's 1961 :D

Last edited:
Well I’m a fully paid up member of this thread now.

Had a quick play and liking it a lot in terms of feel. There’s a few niggles which I’m sure I’ll iron out / get used to.

Sunset at Hatchet Pond, seemed to be suffering from banding really bad. This is straight out the camera and recropped in photoshop (and white balance reset).

I have just updated firmware from 1.01 to 2.00 and changed output from SRGB to Adobe RGB so will try again this sunday to see if it improves.

Sunset at Hatchet Pond by Mark Barnes, on Flickr

Nice shot, I was there not long ago and was lucky enough to catch an awesome sunset.

Banding? Yes I do have noticed that on my a7iii too, lots of it, something I did not have problems with on my previous D750.
I have not updated my firmware yet but I believe that was one of the things they were fixing?

Heck yeah Timothy! :)

Nice, you'll love it, its different (not bad different) in the hand than the d750 but I think thats muscle memory, couple weeks and it'll feel natural. All the customisation is great imo. Hit 10k milestone last week and still very happy with it... which says quite a lot.

Nice, you'll love it, its different (not bad different) in the hand than the d750 but I think thats muscle memory, couple weeks and it'll feel natural. All the customisation is great imo. Hit 10k milestone last week and still very happy with it... which says quite a lot.

And there's me holding out until you sell yours :(

So, it's the random, shoot whatever's in front of you new camera field test...

A messy bowl of fruit - not arranged like you should.

44639879805_227885fe74_b.jpg

44639879455_7bce97f166_b.jpg

44639879275_136bc6af90_b.jpg

And a very random, slobbin' it selfie - because you can focus on the lens with this little setup dead easy, so why not!

30613132507_788b052f76_b.jpg

Yup, I think I'm going to get on just fine with this little camera, happy days!

Last edited:
So, it's the random, shoot whatever's in front of you new camera field test...

A messy bowl of fruit not arranged like you should.

44639879805_ef66953b76_b.jpg

44639879455_7bce97f166_b.jpg

44639879275_136bc6af90_b.jpg

And a very random, slowish selfie, because you can focus on the lens with this little setup dead easy, so why not!

30613132507_788b052f76_b.jpg

Yup, I think I'm going to get on just fine with this little camera, happy days!

Tims next and then the rest of the D750 owners. :sneaky:

I'm gonna use my manual lenses for a couple of weeks before deciding on my first AF lens, I've only used APSC so don't wanna rush into a prime until I get a feel for FF focal lengths etc.

I'm gonna use my manual lenses for a couple of weeks before deciding on my first AF lens, I've only used APSC so don't wanna rush into a prime until I get a feel for FF focal lengths etc.

What APSC FL is your fav? Pretty easy to figure out then.

What APSC FL is your fav? Pretty easy to figure out then.

I know but I'm skirting around the shock of spending £1700 this week and the above is making me feel better haha. I use my 135mm a lot along with 35mm (for close focus stuff) and various 50s and 55s.

As far as native, I'm considering the Sigma 50 1.4, the Sony 85 1.8, the Sigma 70 macro. I do use 135mm and 200mm primes quite a lot, hoping to get one of the 70-200's to kinda cover this sometime but I will continue to use my manual lenses, plus people tell me I will get more out of them on FF especially with the IBIS for the longer ones.

I know but I'm skirting around the shock of spending £1700 this week and the above is making me feel better haha. I use my 135mm a lot along with 35mm (for close focus stuff) and various 50s and 55s.

As far as native, I'm considering the Sigma 50 1.4, the Sony 85 1.8, the Sigma 70 macro. I do use 135mm and 200mm primes quite a lot, hoping to get one of the 70-200's to kinda cover this sometime but I will continue to use my manual lenses, plus people tell me I will get more out of them on FF especially with the IBIS for the longer ones.

Maybe 35/85 and APSC crop to 50 and 135, thats what Im doing at the mo.

I do fancy the Sony 85mm f/1.8 or the 70-200 first I think.

The 85 1.8 is a very good little lens. It helps it doubles up as a 135 @ 10MP as I dont use 135 that often.

Remind me what happens if I put an APSC lens on a FF body? For example my 30mm f/1.4 Sigma e-mount?

It'll put it into crop mode @ 10MP which is approx 45mm or you can disable that and you'll get 24MP with severe vignette.

And will the aperture be a true f/1.4? I'm just going through stuff deciding what's to be sold and what's to be kept.

And will the aperture be a true f/1.4? I'm just going through stuff deciding what's to be sold and what's to be kept.

It will let in 1.4 light (afaik!) and camera will shoot at f1.4 but DOF will be f2.1 equiv. So 45mm f2..... which is still pretty decent.

Last edited:
It will let in 1.4 light (afaik!), but DOF will be f2.1 equiv. so 45mm f2..... which is still pretty decent.

Thanks, I'll be sure to try my lenses in crop before selling them. I'm keeping the A6000 as a second anyway.

Yeah, its a lens worth holding onto esp if you're keeping the a6k.

TBH my favourite auto focus e-mount lens on the A6000 is the cheapo sigma 60mm f/2.8 that thing is hellish sharp and a nice focal length on APSC for me personally.

So now I’ve set up my new camera, better update the firmware. Will all my settings be saved or do you back up?

TBH my favourite auto focus e-mount lens on the A6000 is the cheapo sigma 60mm f/2.8 that thing is hellish sharp and a nice focal length on APSC for me personally.

Get the FE85 1.8 then, its also very sharp and renders really nicely for a cheap FF lens.

These were taken with it.... bokehs smooth even with a lot of busy textures like grass.... very sharp @ 1.8.

Last edited:
Back