The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So I am new to the full-frame Sony lark though I started my digital photography with a Sony a100, then a700, a while back. I have an Olympus 355mm shift lens I was using on Fuji crop bodies but it is just too long so I picked up an a7 to give it a go:

Kenwood I by Ian, on Flickr

When Lee's adapter arrives I can try my Canon FD 35mm tilt-shift too.

Love the green/yellow/orange transitions through the trees :)

Another complete out of focus shot at the extreme, and another not quite as bad. Was indoors to 1/500. But still, not sure what went wrong. Very bad day out really. Again. with the D750 ad 1/500 I was getting in focus images.

DSC00218 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC00373 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well what a complete s*** of a day. Would say 50% of my photos out OOF.

No idea what’s gone so wrong. Set up the A9 as I would for sports but so many missed focus shots.

Must be missing something. Prime example here. Started tracking a while back in AF-C flexible centre spot.

This one was 2.8, but was happening at f4 etc.

Camera has decided to focus on the jump and not the horse. Looks ok small, but when you go full size the jump wing is nice and sharp in focus. Horse is not. Happened a lot!!

DSC00158 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Shouldve bought an a7iii

So I am new to the full-frame Sony lark though I started my digital photography with a Sony a100, then a700, a while back. I have an Olympus 355mm shift lens I was using on Fuji crop bodies but it is just too long so I picked up an a7 to give it a go:

Kenwood I by Ian, on Flickr

When Lee's adapter arrives I can try my Canon FD 35mm tilt-shift too.

Nice colours eh @SsSsSsSsSnake

How would that have helped?!

Just have a skim over posts as not been in much. So you a A9 though you were getting a7iii

He got a73 then got 9 coz thought would be better. Glad to see you are back.

I bought an A9 for the better EVF and Zero black out which is better for tracking. But thanks for your as always sarcastic input.

Ouch expensive upgrade I would of kept the a7iii learn it and spend on glasses

I bought an A9 for the better EVF and Zero black out which is better for tracking. But thanks for your as always sarcastic input.

No problem, I get why you're upset, I played on that a little, stick with it, I think you need to spend more time learning about the sony AF system :)

Zero black out I see your point for that for the horses but AF is it really any better?

Been well pls with my a7iii.

Yes the d750 is a lovely camera too you did brilliantly with it.

Zero black out I see your point for that for the horses but AF is it really any better?

Been well pls with my a7iii.

Yes the d750 is a lovely camera too you did brilliantly with it.

Yes AF is better.

Ouch expensive upgrade I would of kept the a7iii learn it and spend on glasses

If you want the better AF, zero EVF blackout, better EVF, silent shooting and higher fps amongst other things, then it’s worth it. :)

It all down to users needs

@JJ you say flexible centre?? Isn’t it one or the other?

From my limited time with mine, flexible spot can jump around when you don’t want it to. Maybe small spot or AF lock-on might be better for tracking?

No problem, I get why you're upset, I played on that a little, stick with it, I think you need to spend more time learning about the sony AF system :)

Very true. It seems very different and a little erratic. No idea why it switched focus on to the jump. So used to the D750 just sticking with the focus on the moving subject.

From my limited time with mine, flexible spot can jump around when you don’t want it to. Maybe small spot or AF lock-on might be better for tracking?

Flexible spot I think, getting words muddled! Need to maybe go through those advanced vids online which talk about all the settings! Nikon was all quite simple!

Flexible spot I think, getting words muddled! Need to maybe go through those advanced vids online which talk about all the settings! Nikon was all quite simple!

I’m still having similar teething problems tbh. Focus sometimes fails when you least expect it. The camera sometimes irritates with its responsiveness too, especially when it sleeps and I want to quickly engage and shoot. I’ve set the sleep timer to 10 seconds because I don’t want it on for long when I’m done but it does take longer than the 750 to ‘wake up.’

The AF point can also suffer slowness to react at times, which has bugged me. I don’t like the fact it’s black either, it can be a bugger to see! I’m sure I’ll work it out but there’s definitely a few niggles with me too.

You need to sit down and really read up on the A9 focus modes. As good as the D750 is, it’s an absolute dinosaur in conparison to what the A9 is capable of. The downside is that it’s a far more complex camera.

There will be sports shooters who’ve listed their A9 settings online. Have a look for those. It’s not the camera per se here, it’s the way you’ve configured it.

Everyone I know (me included) who just set up an A9 or a73 to match what they used on a DSLR has had issues. All of those issues have gone when they worked out the massively configurable options.

You need to sit down and really read up on the A9 focus modes. As good as the D750 is, it’s an absolute dinosaur in conparison to what the A9 is capable of. The downside is that it’s a far more complex camera.

There will be sports shooters who’ve listed their A9 settings online. Have a look for those. It’s not the camera per se here, it’s the way you’ve configured it.

Everyone I know (me included) who just set up an A9 or a73 to match what they used on a DSLR has had issues. All of those issues have gone when they worked out the massively configurable options.

I am indeed fully putting it down to user error. I was a bit foolish thinking I could just set afc and my usual shutter speed and be done lol

Well what a complete s*** of a day. Would say 50% of my photos out OOF.

No idea what’s gone so wrong. Set up the A9 as I would for sports but so many missed focus shots.

Must be missing something. Prime example here. Started tracking a while back in AF-C flexible centre spot.

This one was 2.8, but was happening at f4 etc.

Camera has decided to focus on the jump and not the horse. Looks ok small, but when you go full size the jump wing is nice and sharp in focus. Horse is not. Happened a lot!!

DSC00158 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr
Try af wide setting mode and use BBF to see how that works

For those having AF issues on the Sony A9, refer to the A9 AF Setup Quick Guide which is available on mobile or internet.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/focus/en/a9/settings/index.html

It can be pretty complicated and I’m hoping Sony make it easier on the A9 II by allowing users to select what scene/event/subject they are shooting and then the camera will work out the required optimal settings etc.

Last edited:

I have been having trouble with birds in flight so I looked at Mark Galers video on shooting for action. He talks about using 2 modes depending on the type of movement. One is Lock on: expand flexible spot and the other is Lock on AF Wide. Using the former my keeper rate for BIF has rocketed.

I have been having trouble with birds in flight so I looked at Mark Galers video on shooting for action. He talks about using 2 modes depending on the type of movement. One is Lock on: expand flexible spot and the other is Lock on AF Wide. Using the former my keeper rate for BIF has rocketed.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

For those having AF issues on the Sony A9, refer to the A9 AF Setup Quick Guide which is available on mobile or internet.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/focus/en/a9/settings/index.html

It can be pretty complicated and I’m hoping Sony make it easier on the A9 II by allowing users to select what scene/event/subject they are shooting and then the camera will work out the required optimal settings etc.

Is there a similar page for the A7 III? (though I suppose these settings are compatible with both)

Interesting as had mine in those settings and just looking through the images, even quite a few I thought were in focus, are not really. Think I have less in focus shots than last week with the A73 :banghead:

Interesting as had mine in those settings and just looking through the images, even quite a few I thought were in focus, are not really. Think I have less in focus shots than last week with the A73 :banghead:
What lenses did you use

Back