The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

More DR and better ISO would help as I often take pictures in crap light and in places that need higher DR if I want to stop the highlights blowing and need to raise the shadows. Even an A7 struggles in Normanby light :D

Fill your boots then.

I’ve not used the a73 yet so don’t yet know how the improved iso and dr will be a benefit to me in the real world. Hand on heart haven’t yet found the a7rii to be found wanting in either department.

He hasn't mentioned the dreaded "D800e" words since I brought it up. :D

He just says when I had full frame now. :ROFLMAO:

Dude I could use a 1mm sensor and be 10 times the sorry excuse for a man you and your twin are. Don't flatter yourself, I stopped mentioning it long before you and other lad came out of the rotters with your lame 90's flames, because I was reminding myself of boring Sony A7III wedding photographers who never shut up about the gear they use. Money would be better spent on some grow the funk up classes for you.

It's amusing that you two lovers still follow one another around like 2 lost orphans nobody else pays attention to :LOL: I keep imaging you as scruffy little 14yr olds for some reason, level of intellect perhaps. You are clearly obsessed with me though, do you dream about me also?

As for the rest, was the A7 and ii crap in low light before the iii came along or something? Why do you insist everyone use the same camera? Bit boring that no?

Last edited:
One thing that interests me is eye detect.

I've only recently started using face detect and to be honest I think it's great as it allows me to take casual shots which I could have only got before by zone focusing as moving the focus point or focusing and recomposing both have their problems. Face detect is better than zone focusing as I don't have to shoot at zone focus apertures and can instead shoot at wide apertures if I want.

That little shot of Mrs WW emptying the bird seed bag wont win any prizes but it would have been impossible without face detect. I'd still have taken a picture but it would have been a different picture of a different moment. The only way I could take that picture of that moment was to frame and shoot very quickly and moving the AF point or focusing and recomposing wouldn't have been quick enough. Shooting at 35mm, 3m or so at f5.6/f8 would have got me the moment but it would have been a different picture to that f2.8 one.

I can only imagine that eye detect and faster focusing is even better.

If you feel you actually need it then sure, but otherwise it would seem to only satisfy a handful of random people on a forum. I really have no idea why there's such a push to have everyone shoot with the same gear, when it's about the least important aspect of photography for most. Is 4x the price worth it for better eye detect?

Last edited:
Dude I could use a 1mm sensor and be 10 times the sorry excuse for a man you and your twin are. Don't flatter yourself, I stopped mentioning it long before you and other lad came out of the rotters with your lame 90's flames, because I was reminding myself of boring Sony A7III wedding photographers who never shut up about the gear they use. Money would be better spent on some grow the funk up classes for you.

It's amusing that you two lovers still follow one another around like 2 lost orphans nobody else pays attention to :LOL: I keep imaging you as scruffy little 14yr olds for some reason, level of intellect perhaps. You are clearly obsessed with me though, do you dream about me also?

As for the rest, was the A7 and ii crap in low light before the iii came along or something? Why do you insist everyone use the same camera? Bit boring that no?

Still hurts then. D800e :LOL:

Still hurts then. D800e :LOL:

What would hurt about it? I've never been sorry I sold that, Nikon are boring. I know you only have this one joke and I feel bad ruining it for you but it not only makes you look dim but doesn't even bother me. It's just weird that you think it's some kind of great flame :thinking: it's a camera dude, a piece of gear, get over it already . . When you realise you've mentioned it more than I have over the past few months . . o_O

Fill your boots then.

I’ve not used the a73 yet so don’t yet know how the improved iso and dr will be a benefit to me in the real world. Hand on heart haven’t yet found the a7rii to be found wanting in either department.
That's one of the problems with improvements such as this, unless you see the difference for yourself it is hard to think it could be a significant improvement if you have been pretty happy with what you have already. Lot's of Canon users know the sensor's in their cameras are lagging behind Sony (and Nikon), but they are content with what they are getting with what they have.

I knew my previous camera (2009) was lagging behind significantly with advances in technology in the intervening years, and so the new camera (2016) was a huge improvement in every way. :eek: :banana:With less time between models improvements may not jump as much as it did for me. These third generation Sony's do seem have a bigger improvement than between the 1st and 2nd generation cameras.

Btw, it is quite funny how much of an improvement I got with the new camera. :eek: :LOL: And it is quite noticeable in my case. (y)

Fill your boots then.

In reality the things that could make a difference to me wont necessarily be DR and ISO but will more likely be focus speed, tracking and eye detect.

If you feel you actually need it then sure, but otherwise it would seem to only satisfy a handful of random people on a forum. I really have no idea why there's such a push to have everyone shoot with the same gear, when it's about the least important aspect of photography for most. Is 4x the price worth it for better eye detect?

They're just having fun with the buy an A7III stuff.

I've started to take different pictures recently. I used to take the same sort of pictures I've always taken, scenic, leaves and flowers and trees etc, and mostly static people shots with the odd "action" shot using prefocus, zone or hyperfocal technique because that's what I've always done and I've never had a camera capable of anything else but face detect really has opened up new possibilities for me because as long as my subject isn't moving really fast I can take wider aperture casual people shots which just wouldn't have been possible before. It's just wetted my appetite for more casual, faster taken and less posed wider aperture people pictures with the point of focus being away from the central area which is all that would normally be covered by a SLR/DSLR.

For woof, in particular. I know he likes to use vintage lenses a lot, you're not getting eye detect or the better AF with those.

Yes I like using old lenses and given the chance to go out for a day by myself I'd put maybe three manual lenses in my bag and head off into the hills or to the coast but my days are pretty full and also I'm often pushing a wheelchair too so photography really has taken a back seat and a lot of my pictures now are taken rather quickly with an AF lens and then zapped off electronically to Mrs WW family overseas. We try to send some pictures every day. I may be talking myself into it :D but as I'm using AF more and MF less a camera with good AF and eye detect might be nice :D

Last edited:

Lose the rage bro. We know you used to own a full frame D800e and a bag of council house primes on it.

Lose the rage bro. We know you used to own a full frame D800e and a bag of council house primes on it.

You two are embarrassing, I hope you're not pretending to be pros out there 'lad' because both of you act like playground bullies. It's deja vous everytime you two post, do you share the same PC? Seems you share the same double digit IQ at least :LOL: And why are you obsessed with my old D800E? It's unhealthy, it seems to be eating you up inside for whatever reason. it's making both of you look extremely pathetic.

Yes I like using old lenses and given the chance to go out for a day by myself I'd put maybe three manual lenses in my bag and head off into the hills or to the coast but my days are pretty full and also I'm often pushing a wheelchair too so photography really has taken a back seat and a lot of my pictures now are taken rather quickly with an AF lens and then zapped off electronically to Mrs WW family overseas. We try to send some pictures every day. I may be talking myself into it :D but as I'm using AF more and MF less a camera with good AF and eye detect might be nice :D

It's your money end of the day, but from what I see on here the end image quality is no better on the III, it just makes things that bit easier. Better to spend the money on some nice lenses

Last edited:
According to the rumour site Sony on Sunday will drop a $1000 discount on the A9 would imagine the U.K price will drop as well.

E-Finity just dropped the price of the A7iii bundle to £1699

Council house primes ffs :D

E-Finity just dropped the price of the A7iii bundle to £1699

Gonna be some big price downs over the next week or two.Seems they have been holding back price downs on the third gen cameras the A7RIII is going to get a big drop too.

It's your money end of the day, but from what I see on here the end image quality is no better on the III, it just makes things that bit easier. Better to spend the money on some nice lenses

I wouldn't necessarily go by what's posted here as it's all going to be mangled by the posting process to some degree. Things may be different when you're looking at a full sized picture at home. Any increase in image quality is welcome but the making things easier bit is attractive and as I keep saying stuff like face detect make it possible to take pictures that couldn't have been taken before, not without stopping the lens down or asking the subject to freeze while I focus manually or move the focus point.

I took this a few weeks ago and it's now framed at home, it's just a moment in time but I couldn't have taken this picture with anything other than a mirrorless camera with at least face detect...

2JA619m.jpg

I have a lot of pictures like that now and I like that one of Mrs WW emptying the birdseed bag too.

Before I started using fact detect the only way I could take a picture of someone without getting them to pose would be to prefocus or let a smaller aperture cover movement with DoF. You can shoot quickly with a manual lens...

wQlHf7u.jpg

But that only works at smaller apertures like f5.6/8 so that the DoF covers any movement. Try it at f1.8-2.8 and chances are you'll be off.

The new kit with bells and whistles just adds other abilities.

I wouldn't necessarily go by what's posted here as it's all going to be mangled by the posting process to some degree. Things may be different when you're looking at a full sized picture at home. Any increase in image quality is welcome but the making things easier bit is attractive and as I keep saying stuff like face detect make it possible to take pictures that couldn't have been taken before, not without stopping the lens down or asking the subject to freeze while I focus manually or move the focus point.

I took this a few weeks ago and it's now framed at home, it's just a moment in time but I couldn't have taken this picture with anything other than a mirrorless camera with at least face detect...

2JA619m.jpg

I have a lot of pictures like that now and I like that one of Mrs WW emptying the birdseed bag too.

Before I started using fact detect the only way I could take a picture of someone without getting them to pose would be to prefocus or let a smaller aperture cover movement with DoF. You can shoot quickly with a manual lens...

wQlHf7u.jpg

But that only works at smaller apertures like f5.6/8 so that the DoF covers any movement. Try it at f1.8-2.8 and chances are you'll be off.

The new kit with bells and whistles just adds other abilities.

People managed fine before face detect, it's something I never use. Don't these shots show you're getting all you need from the A7 already though?

People managed fine before face detect, it's something I never use. Don't these shots show you're getting all you need from the A7 already though?

How do you take a candid shot quickly at f1.8 with the face away from the centre of the frame?

I'll give you a clue or three...

- You move the focus point, which takes time and you miss the moment.
- You focus and recompose, which means you miss the moment and your focus isn't where you thought it was.
- You shout "Freeze!"
- You give up with the wide aperture and instead you stop down, prefocus, zone focus or hyperfical at a distance and aperture, maybe 3m and f5.6 or f8, none of which would get you the moment at f1.8/f2.8.
- You give up on the wide aperture and select f8 and just focus on the body and hope the face is in the dof.

Have I missed anything?

With all these things you'll get a shot but not the shot you wanted.

Yes you can manage without face detect and eye detect but not if you want to shoot quickly at wide apertures and stand any chance of getting more focus hits than not.

How do you take a candid shot quickly at f1.8 with the face away from the centre of the frame?

I'll give you a clue or three...

- You move the focus point, which takes time and you miss the moment.
- You focus and recompose, which means you miss the moment and your focus isn't where you thought it was.
- You shout "Freeze!"
- You give up with the wide aperture and instead you stop down, prefocus, zone focus or hyperfical at a distance and aperture, maybe 3m and f5.6 or f8, none of which would get you the moment at f1.8/f2.8.
- You give up on the wide aperture and select f8 and just focus on the body and hope the face is in the dof.

Have I missed anything?

With all these things you'll get a shot but not the shot you wanted.

Yes you can manage without face detect and eye detect but not if you want to shoot quickly at wide apertures and stand any chance of getting more focus hits than not.

Bit smug :eek: .... But seriously? :D However did people take street candids on the fly beforehand? Many of them manage just fine with SP AF centred. If you feel you need it so much, fine, that's what you rely on but I manage candids frequently without ever using FD. I think you're over selling it to yourself. Maybe you should just buy. I was just saying you're doing fine with what you got. I didn't know the A7 was that far behind

Last edited:
Bit smug :eek: .... But seriously? :D However did people take street candids on the fly beforehand? If you feel you need it so much, fine, that's what you rely on but I manage candids frequently without ever using FD. I think you're over selling it to yourself. Maybe you should just buy.

They didn't. Not shots that would stand up to close viewing and not quick shots of moving people at f1.x-2.x they didn't. They took f1.x-2.x shots of people stood or sat still or they zone focused at smaller apertures.

And no, I'm not being smug... soz if it came across s smug. I'm just looking at how it's done and how it's always been done. Yes I'm sure you take lovely candids but I bet you face the issues I listed when using wider apertures. These days modern tracking and stuff like face and eye detect make it possible to quite reliably take wide aperture pictures that would have been luck a few years ago. Yes, you can shoot candid moving stuff quickly at f5.6 with an A7 with either AF or MF lenses and maybe they'll stand close viewing by geeks now and again but I'm just looking at taking different pictures. In this case wide aperture pictures with the subject moving that end up with the face in focus.

Is there anything that signifies lenses are for the full frame A7ii or will any E mount fit?

APSC lenses will have APS-C in the full title or DC for Sigma lenses, I think

Last edited:
They didn't. Not shots that would stand up to close viewing and not quick shots of moving people at f1.x-2.x they didn't. They took f1.x-2.x shots of people stood or sat still or they zone focused at smaller apertures.

And no, I'm not being smug... soz if it came across s smug. I'm just looking at how it's done and how it's always been done. Yes I'm sure you take lovely candids but I bet you face the issues I listed when using wider apertures. These days modern tracking and stuff like face and eye detect make it possible to quite reliably take wide aperture pictures that would have been luck a few years ago. Yes, you can shoot candid moving stuff quickly at f5.6 with an A7 with either AF or MF lenses and maybe they'll stand close viewing by geeks now and again but I'm just looking at taking different pictures. In this case wide aperture pictures with the subject moving that end up with the face in focus.

I was kidding on the smug part, hence the smilie, I only use those when I'm playing ;) I'm sure this new FD is great, but whether one 'needs' it or not is another thing. You're paying a lot just for that benefit. I have used FDfor video and it does work well, and now we have touch screen which is much faster than using a pad or even joystick t shift focus points. It's pretty much instant, where I touch, it'll focus. I can do this with the cam up to my eye also - takes a little bit of practice to nail but once you do, it's hard to ever go back to D-pads

Will the E-Mount lenses work on the FE bodies? guessing obviously just at a loss of resolution?!

I was kidding on the smug part, hence the smilie, I only use those when I'm playing ;) I'm sure this new FD is great, but whether one 'needs' it or not is another thing. You're paying a lot just for that benefit. I have used FDfor video and it does work well, and now we have touch screen which is much faster than using a pad or even joystick t shift focus points. It's pretty much instant, where I touch, it'll focus. I can do this with the cam up to my eye also - takes a little bit of practice to nail but once you do, it's hard to ever go back to D-pads

I never use touch screens, usually take pictures with the camera to my eye.

As to "need." I've just got a bit sick of only taking posed shots and wanted something more natural plus being quicker when trying to manage a wife and someone in a wheelchair is very welcome.

I never use touch screens, usually take pictures with the camera to my eye.

As to "need." I've just got a bit sick of only taking posed shots and wanted something more natural plus being quicker when trying to manage a wife and someone in a wheelchair is very welcome.

I get what you're saying, I just thought you have FD already on the A7, how much better is it on the III? Was it improved for the A7II? That could be a good compromise if so

Back