The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Considering the 28mm f2 i(thanks @T_J_G ) instead of the 35mm 1.4 art.

Anyone used the 2 and want to offer their input?

FE28 is small, sharp but suffers from a lot of distortion easily corrected in software. AF is fast and accurate for both stills and video.

Sigma is anything but small and its sharp. The AF sucks for video but good and accurate for stills. Its a DSLR lens bodged up to make it work for mirrorless and it shows.

The 28mm is a piece of crap.

The Sigma 35mm Art is almost God like.

No its not (to both)

Last edited:
Yes it does :D

H0LcWv9.jpg

Have to say the Tenba looks miles better than that! (looks like the inside of a 1970's pimps car) No place for memory cards either! ;)

I took my Voigtlander Nocton classic 35mm f1.4 to the shops today, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this lens or not. I love the size and the way it looks and I like the colour, contrast and the overall look it gives and the fact that it's soft at f1.4 isn't really too much of a problem but I'm having trouble getting used to the focus tab. I'd normally hold the camera with my left hand under the focus ring which gives me control and stability but with this lens no matter how I hold the thing I can't move from one end of the scale to the other or anything like it without having to alter my grip a couple of times and I'm sure I'm losing both time and stability. I feel like I'm juggling the camera. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get used to this and if I can't it'll have to go. I have a few hours next Wednesday so I'll take it out and try and make my mind up.

Tree at f1.4.

Rch40SY.jpg

The path to the shops, stopped down a bit, probably to f5.6.

odXRP2n.jpg

Mrs WW, f1.4.

I3P6oti.jpg

These wont be to everyones taste but if I wanted a flawless modern look I'd buy something else.

I've never seen flare like this before...

DSC02615.jpg

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on using lenses with a focus tab rather than a ring...

Last edited:
FE28 is small, sharp but suffers from a lot of distortion easily corrected in software. AF is fast and accurate for both stills and video.

Sigma is anything but small and its sharp. The AF sucks for video but good and accurate for stills. Its a DSLR lens bodged up to make it work for mirrorless and it shows.

No its not (to both)

You don’t half talk some crap.

I've had both for some time and was going to respond, but you've written pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The Sigma is hard to live with but imo just about worth it. The FE28 is beautifully weighted on an a7 and great as a walkaround.

The 28mm is a piece of crap.

The Sigma 35mm Art is almost God like.

I haven't used either but you're really talking about two lenses from different ends of the scale.....!

No its not (to both)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think deep down i'd want the 35mm again, i guess i just looking to cut corners, but i think deep down i know i'd regret it.

I kind of wish there was a decent 35mm 1.8 at around 300-350 to have a bit of compromise, as i tend to shoot at f2 with my current one, although with the AF on sony i'd prob feel comfortable shooting a little wider..

I think deep down i'd want the 35mm again, i guess i just looking to cut corners, but i think deep down i know i'd regret it.

I kind of wish there was a decent 35mm 1.8 at around 300-350 to have a bit of compromise, as i tend to shoot at f2 with my current one, although with the AF on sony i'd prob feel comfortable shooting a little wider..

Don't we all, we all want that Canon 35/1.8 lens on Sony...

Yeah you and lot of other people wish for the same :D

I don't know why it's so hard for sony to release a decent small 35mm/1.8. may be they are protecting their Rx1ii sales.

It's not a bad lens, it's very compact but it's no sigma ART.

You could also pick up a samyang AF 35mm f1.4 used for around £400.

I don't know why it's so hard for sony to release a decent small 35mm/1.8. may be they are protecting their Rx1ii sales.

They will release it next year

Thanks for this.

Looking online it seems to focus faster than the sigma, definitely worth considering - thank you

I might get the rumoured 35mm f1.8 if/when it appears next year but I can't see it being £300-£350. I'll do a happy dance if it is but at the mo I just can't see that happening.

Oh no the GAS is striking again!!

For a while I have been pondering getting rid of my 120-300 Sport & TC,s as I rarely use them with having the 100-400GM and replacing them with the FE24-105 f4 and 1.4TC for the 100-400, however now I have come to do it I could also throw in my A7Rii and get the Riii as a straight swap and stick with my existing lens line up (16-35 f4, 35mm Art, 55mm f1.8, 85mm 1.8 and 100-400GM) :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just moved over from Nikon/Canon, this is pretty much my first shot with my new A7RIII and 85 f/1.4 GM ... I've no more client shoots this year so the cat and his love of Christmas tinsel had to suffice ...

A7R00008.jpg
Wow, just wow.

Why we need a pc for firmware

I very nearly did get a Riii last week trading in my 7iii but sense cane first

Back