The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks, Sigma 35 1.4 Art for them all

Nice, I used to own that lens myself, but for Nikon. It was very nice indeed, just goes to show as I rarely ever ask that question. Lovely pics, I bet the couple were very pleased

Nice, I used to own that lens myself, but for Nikon. It was very nice indeed, just goes to show as I rarely ever ask that question. Lovely pics, I bet the couple were very pleased

They haven’t seen them yet, I had the Nikon mount lens too (still have actually) so it was a no brainier getting it for Sony.

They haven’t seen them yet, I had the Nikon mount lens too (still have actually) so it was a no brainier getting it for Sony.

I did have focus issues with the first one I got, but the replacement was fine, had the dock for it JIC - something yu don't have to worry about with ML cams I believe

Maybe a silly question (I’ve only had the camera a couple of days) in aperture priority mode is there a way for it to change the shutter speed before it starts changing the ISO. Same in shutter priority- to change aperture before it changes the ISO..... or do I just change ISO from auto to 200 or whatever . Thanks

On the original A7, it's the perfect control set - front spin dial aperture, rear spin dial shutter speed, back dial ISO. All under my right hand, makes it even easier to shoot than a Fuji XT2 etc, which involves reaching up to the top plate with the camera to your eye. I shoot manual and use the camera meter.

Often, I know what aperture I need for DOF, and what shutter speed for movement (or lack of). I change only ISO to get the exposure I want. All three basic adjustments ready to go!

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question (I’ve only had the camera a couple of days) in aperture priority mode is there a way for it to change the shutter speed before it starts changing the ISO. Same in shutter priority- to change aperture before it changes the ISO..... or do I just change ISO from auto to 200 or whatever . Thanks

You’ve answered your own question. The shutter is the bit that the camera calculates if you determine your aperture so you don’t change it? ISO is either set by yourself or the camera in auto, and so you can’t change the shutter before? You can set a minimum shutter speed though. With today’s sensors and ability to manage high iso, auto pretty much gives you a semi-auto mode with just dof to think about. Probably how most people shoot everyday things.

Really liking DMF with zoom on the joystick for static items. Don't do macro but really handy to set up.

40229458153_cccb4a9872_b.jpg

A strange one these wonder if this means there will be a new Sony 35 & 50 on it's there way, these have never dropped much in price before now.

Could just be Amazon price matching the other place though. Good price either way cheaper even than grey import.

Last edited:
A strange one these wonder if this means there will be a new Sony 35 & 50 on it's there way, these have never dropped much in price before now.

Could just be Amazon price matching the other place though. Good price either way cheaper even than grey import.
1.2 versions coming out?

Not sure theres much reason to replace the 50, 35 maybe. Unless GM versions are coming but we would've heard by now.

Last edited:
Not sure theres much reason to replace the 50, 35 maybe. Unless GM versions are coming but we would've heard by now.

Both have massive copy variation with soft right hand sides, more so the 35mm. Wouldn't be a shock if either Zeiss updated these or Sony brought out their own.

Last edited:
Both have massive copy variation with soft right hand sides, more so the 35mm. Wouldn't be a shock if either Zeiss updated these or Sony brought out their own.

I know the 35 has, didn't think the 50 suffered the same issue.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 35mm is set up with shims. That must be at least a bit hit and miss and it must be a cost in production so a more consistent build that doesn't require what sounds to be a fiddly, time consuming and cost adding step would make sense. We can't be sure if there really is massive copy variation, only Sony and volume sellers will know that, as people on line are often a vocal minority and there could well be many more happy users in the non forum real world.

Sony plans to exceed customer requests...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...quests-new-aps-c-gear-to-be-released-in-2019/

That's nice :D

Meanwhile, Samyang have got up early, they've had their Weetabix and have been very very busy aaaaaall day. The result is 8 new lenses which will be seen over coming months...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sam...nces-it-will-launch-8-new-lenses-this-spring/

That's nice too :D

What we reckon they are? The one on the far right looks tiny!

I don't think 50mm has actually issues like twist said.

But I agree I wonder if there is something else coming out. I think we'll definitely see a 50mm F1.2 GM to match canon and Nikon. They'll probably just keep the 50mm F1.4 Zeiss as it is with may be lower prices.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 35mm is set up with shims. That must be at least a bit hit and miss and it must be a cost in production so a more consistent build that doesn't require what sounds to be a fiddly, time consuming and cost adding step would make sense. We can't be sure if there really is massive copy variation, only Sony and volume sellers will know that, as people on line are often a vocal minority and there could well be many more happy users in the non forum real world.

I'm sure that's true. There's nothing a manufacturer hates more than poor quality control, especially on premium products where expectations are obviously high. It's very costly handling warranties and returns, it loses customers and does untold damage to the brand. It's far cheaper to get it right in the first place, and obviously way better all round, so they will fix it at source if they possibly can.

This is one of the areas where manufacturers change and modify and upgrade products all the time, usually without telling anybody. Minor issues are not uncommon especially with new stuff and if there is a manufacturing or design problem, say with overly heavy shimming, they'll tweak the rogue components asap. If there is a lesson for consumers, it's probably prudent to avoid brand new stuff from the first production runs as some issues don't show themselves until full production versions get into customers' hands.

I don't think 50mm has actually issues like twist said.

But I agree I wonder if there is something else coming out. I think we'll definitely see a 50mm F1.2 GM to match canon and Nikon. They'll probably just keep the 50mm F1.4 Zeiss as it is with may be lower prices.

50mm has also had issues with soft right hand side, oil inside the rear element and fog. That's what I seen when I was looking at buying one some time ago. General opinion seemed to be that there was large copy variation but not as bad as the 35mm, which has huge copy variation. There was actually a recall on the 50mm's for the fog issue. Focus shift is something that was mentioned a lot with the 50mm as well.

Last edited:
Lovely. Need to do another early morning Sunday visit to Bath again soon :)

I've lived a 20 minute drive from Bath all my life, I work there 5 days a week and yet I've never been just to take photos! I find it unbelievably hard to photograph something so familiar.

Sarcasm I assume? Or am I missing something

Either it's a wind up or the price has gone back up. Brand new they normally sell for £100-£140

After seeing some OOF blotches on some images I decided to check my A7RIII sensor with a loupe and there were bits of crud on there, blowing with a filtered blower didn't shift it all so I knew I'd have to wet clean....again!
While doing some research I came across this:
UPDATE: On April 8, 2016, Photographic Solutions issued a Warning Notice for Sony a7 users to discontinue using their Eclipse Sensor Cleaning Fluid:
NOTICE: We are recommending Aeroclipse for the Sony a7ii and a7rii. While Eclipse is safe with proper cleaning technique, it can remove the coating with prolonged cleaning and aggressive pressure. This is due to the pure concentration of methanol in Eclipse. Aeroclipse, to render it non-flammable, has considerably less methanol and is safe under all normal circumstances and proper technique.

This warning is most likely is specific to a7II & a7RII but since Aeroclipse is travel-safe I recommend that Sony a7 users follow the manufacturer’s warning and switch to Aeroclipse Digital Sensor Cleaning Fluid which has the same cleaning power as Eclipse optic cleaning fluid but is non-flammable so it’s travel-safe in checked or carry on baggage.
https://briansmith.com/5-simple-steps-camera-sensor-cleaning/
The stuff he recommends is here:
https://www.cameraclean.co.uk/produ...=AEROCLIPSE�+Lens+&+CCD+Cleaner+(15ml+Bottle)
I know there was some talk on here last year I believe about Eclipse being methanol but I found this a bit alarming to read.

I've lived a 20 minute drive from Bath all my life, I work there 5 days a week and yet I've never been just to take photos! I find it unbelievably hard to photograph something so familiar.

I found it interesting because despite living about 30 minutes drive from Bath I'd not been there for years!!

At that price it'd be rude not to buy one.

I think it's a very good standard range variable aperture zoom.

At that price it'd be rude not to buy one.

I think it's a very good standard range variable aperture zoom.

Agree - it’s not a bad little lens at all! Quite well built and great standard walk around lens.

Back