The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Seen a video last night on the 50mm 1.8, and the guy was saying the lens had initially gotten horrible reviews but most of these were pre-A7III [mostly with the A7II, it had sluggish AF and was very noisey] - and that the lens was great on the A7III after FW updates to it. Surely if there's a FW update for the lens it gets it on the A7II too no? Is the II that much worse than the III for AF with older lenses?

Last edited:
Seen a video last night on the 50mm 1.8, and the guy was saying the lens had initially gotten horrible reviews but most of these were pre-A7III [mostly with the A7II, it had sluggish AF and was very noisey] - and that the lens was great on the A7III after FW updates to it. Surely if there's a FW update for the lens it gets it on the A7II too no? Is the II that much worse than the III for AF with older lenses?
The 3 has a different and newer autofocus system to the second generation which had the same autofocus system as the original a7, so i would expect it to perform better and faster on all lenses. It could be a case that with the improvements so y were able to get that little bit more out of the lens than was previously possible

The 3 has a different and newer autofocus system to the second generation which had the same autofocus system as the original a7, so i would expect it to perform better and faster on all lenses. It could be a case that with the improvements so y were able to get that little bit more out of the lens than was previously possible

Makes sense, couldn't figure if the guy meant just that or that the update for the lens itself only worked on the III, that wouldn't make sense

Anyone know of a decent value used LA-EA4 for sale? There were 2 last week (LCE & MBP) around £169, but both seem to have gone.

Anyone know of a decent value used LA-EA4 for sale? There were 2 last week (LCE & MBP) around £169, but both seem to have gone.

It has retained its value surprisingly well. That's actually a good price for it.
Perhaps try your luck in the wanted forums?

This seemed a better place because it's of direct interest and I've never had success with the wanted forum.

Settings hmm be interested know your settings [emoji1303]

95% in Aperture priority with Auto ISO. Body with 35mm set a 1/125th minimum and 85mm set at min 1/250th.

Custom button 1 APSC/25mm
Custom button 2 Playback
Custom Button 3 Silent shooting
Custom Button 4 Live View Display selection
Eye-AF on AEL button

E-front curtain off, anti flickr off. Also set so that camera doesn't fire unless two memory cards installed. RAW to both cards.

Settings all copied to the second body, what a chore!

A snap from Josh's first birthday:

Joshua's 1st Birthday by Tim G, on Flickr
Lovely boy, looks really happy.
This is what a Josh (my son) looks like when they're 33! :love:
29345792567_5a5029bcb2_c.jpg

A7RIII, Batis 85mm

At that price it'd be cheaper than film era 85's and could even be better quality.

Well soon know but I think $150 may be a bit optimistic. I think it'll cost more.

At that price it'd be cheaper than film era 85's and could even be better quality.

Well soon know but I think $150 may be a bit optimistic. I think it'll cost more.

Well the Canon AutoFocus 85mm f/1.8 Mieke can be had new for around £150 so I'm not sure they can charge too much.

Well the Canon AutoFocus 85mm f/1.8 Mieke can be had new for around £150 so I'm not sure they can charge too much.
ah, I didn't know that and if this MF one is that cheap or cheaper it may be a bit of a bargain, but who for?

85mm for me is more of a people shot length not a walk about length and for manual focus/zone/hyperfocal walk about stuff I'd pick a 35 or 50mm every time over an 85 but for someone shooting static portraits and the like this could be very interesting especially if it gives a nice look at f1.8-5 or so.

If it's acceptable and cheap it might compete very well against the legacy 85's that can go for around £200 or even more.

Last edited:
ah, I didn't know that and if this MF one is that cheap or cheaper it may be a bit of a bargain, but who for?

85mm for me is more of a people shot length not a walk about length and for manual focus/zone/hyperfocal walk about stuff I'd pick a 35 or 50mm every time over an 85 but for someone shooting static portraits and the like this could be very interesting especially if it gives a nice look at f1.8-5 or so.

If it's acceptable and cheap it might compete very well against the legacy 85's that can go for around £200 or even more.

I used a lot of 50mm FF manual lenses on my APSC so I'm really comfortable with the 85mm now I'm using a FF body. I use it pretty much every genre, which is lucky as I only currently have the Sony 85 1.8 and Samyang 14mm 2.8 :D

I used a lot of 50mm FF manual lenses on my APSC so I'm really comfortable with the 85mm now I'm using a FF body. I use it pretty much every genre, which is lucky as I only currently have the Sony 85 1.8 and Samyang 14mm 2.8 :D

The Sony 1.8 is quite the lens, was testing with new body last night in a dim lounge and the AF speed really impressed me

Last edited:
Have gone from not caring at all if Sony ever bring out a 35mm f/1.8 to desperately wanting them to do it, just so I don't have to read any more crying about it.

Not at all, and apologies if it came across in that way.

I'm just wondering your thoughts on it? I haven't noticed anything that I haven't liked in the few months I've owned the lens.

It's capable of beautifully soft bokeh, but if the background is too busy it can look 'characterful' and almost with 'swirl' which I can understand some people are not keen on. It's a great lens, and I'm very happy with mine.

Not at all, and apologies if it came across in that way.

I'm just wondering your thoughts on it? I haven't noticed anything that I haven't liked in the few months I've owned the lens.

just meant that the bokeh renders quite oval, cat eye like shapes.
i actually really like it when having a leafy background as im fond of that swirly bokeh effect.

The Sony is more like one of my old 85's for bokeh. It's more characterful than smooth and modern. I do like the size, weight and price but for bokeh I liked my Sigma f1.4 better.

The swirly look can work for some shots though.

The Sony is more like one of my old 85's for bokeh. It's more characterful than smooth and modern. I do like the size, weight and price but for bokeh I liked my Sigma f1.4 better.

The swirly look can work for some shots though.

Can't say I've noticed the swirly effect, but I'll scroll through my shots later and have a look.

anyone have a samyang 24mm they don't need?

Nope, mine's staying in my bag :)

Back