The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Don't like the 24-70mm for a number of reasons.
I just came back from my holiday. It became blindingly obvious that the ergonomics of Sony bodies kinda sucks.
@snerkler mentioned it a number of times in the past and I brushed it off. but the grip and body doesn't let me shoot or even comfortably hold it safely with one hand even with smaller lenses like 24-105mm.
Either need to find a more ergonomic body or move to APS-C.
Have you tried the Nikon Z's, they were much better imo and I could easily hold the camera in one hand with the 24-70mm f4 attached, for how long though I'm not sure. My EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 is a doddle to use one handed, but even with this I'm not sure I'd want to hold it for extended periods, I'd end up with cramp :LOL: I find the peak design slide invaluable, means the camera's there whenever I need it , but I can also be hands free without the camera swinging about like it does on the BR straps.
Well, good luck handing any camera and zoom lens one handed.
Depends on the combo, as mentioned above (y)

Have you tried the Nikon Z's, they were much better imo and I could easily hold the camera in one hand with the 24-70mm f4 attached, for how long though I'm not sure. My EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 is a doddle to use one handed, but even with this I'm not sure I'd want to hold it for extended periods, I'd end up with cramp :LOL: I find the peak design slide invaluable, means the camera's there whenever I need it , but I can also be hands free without the camera swinging about like it does on the BR straps.

Yup, easy solution, PD slide.

Have you considered the battery grip? I have big hands and coming from a gripped D500 has been interesting. But the battery grip is perfect and the camera still feels small, but very comfortable.
Not keen on adding more weight and it wouldn't really help in this case. The body itself isn't designed properly IMO.

I have tried the Z7 and quite liked it. Nikon don't have a single lens I'd want at this moment.
Already have a slide, in fact I've had it forever. Doesn't really solve any issues.

Watch his first review on it where he goes over the performance and build, it's a noisey thing, think I'd prefer the Sony 1.8
I did and didn't find it revealed much. I wouldn't call it noisy unless you want to shoot video with it.
FE85/1.8 is indeed great.

I'd like to see you try :D

I one hand carried the G80 with a 100-300mm lens often, not a bother. But ... there's zero advantage to M43 ... ;) The G80 is actually a very comfortable body, little short but the grip is great, better than most of the new FFML bodies I imagine. I did also have the battery grip for it for a while but I'm not really big on grips for anything but battery power, and it takes only a few seconds to change one out.

I did and didn't find it revealed much. I wouldn't call it noisy unless you want to shoot video with it.
FE85/1.8 is indeed great.

Sorry, my bad! Just checked my YT history to try find the video that showed the screeching AF noise, turns out it was the 50 1.4 Samyang

Last edited:
I’ve often carried and used the A7RIII and A9 one handed with the 24-70GM and 100-400GM when out with my toddler. It’s not great for long periods of time but it’s certainly doable. I’ve got a RRS plate and a PD strap which really helps.

Last edited:
I have tried the Z7 and quite liked it. Nikon don't have a single lens I'd want at this moment.
Already have a slide, in fact I've had it forever. Doesn't really solve any issues.

Can’t your missus just look after the kid. That is what they are for. Well that and cooking, cleaning etc.

Sounds like it’s a new missus you need not another camera.

Last edited:
I'd like to see you try :D

D610, no trouble at all. :)

Sorry, my bad! Just checked my YT history to try find the video that showed the screeching AF noise, turns out it was the 50 1.4 Samyang

The 50 1.4 I had definitely didn't screech - more like a mild ticking sound - although it did hunt in CAF (as does the 35 f2.8). Wish I'd kept it now. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I thought we were Sony Alpha males? [emoji23]

FTFY ;)

The 50 1.4 I had definitely didn't screech - more like a mild ticking sound - although it did hunt in CAF (as does the 35 f2.8). Wish I'd kept it now. :rolleyes:

At 4:39 in this review it shows the AF noise, of course the mics will exaggerate it a bit but it seems pretty 'screechy'

At 4:39 in this review it shows the AF noise, of course the mics will exaggerate it a bit but it seems pretty 'screechy'

I shot with it for a couple of weeks, and don't recall it sounding like that *except* in CAF where the camera was continuously changing focus point, but even then less so. Even in eyeAF it hunted much less and was a lot faster to focus. That was recorded in 2016, and AFAIK there have been a couple of software updates since that made things better/less bad. I would be very pleased to have my previous lens back, if that were possible.

I shot with it for a couple of weeks, and don't recall it sounding like that *except* in CAF where the camera was continuously changing focus point, but even then less so. Even in eyeAF it hunted much less and was a lot faster to focus. That was recorded in 2016, and AFAIK there have been a couple of software updates since that made things better/less bad. I would be very pleased to have my previous lens back, if that were possible.

It may well have been improved with FW, didn't think of that tbh

Have you tried the Nikon Z's, they were much better imo and I could easily hold the camera in one hand with the 24-70mm f4 attached, for how long though I'm not sure. My EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 is a doddle to use one handed, but even with this I'm not sure I'd want to hold it for extended periods, I'd end up with cramp [emoji38] I find the peak design slide invaluable, means the camera's there whenever I need it , but I can also be hands free without the camera swinging about like it does on the BR straps.
I can hand hold my camera with one hand up to a 1.4 35mm prime

On the rumor site...

The Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 looks to be about the same size as the 40mm f1.2 plus the 21mm f1.4 is one of the most exciting things... ever...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sid...lander-50mm-f-1-2-fe-and-the-40mm-f-1-2-fe-2/

Personally I prefer that picture of Mel B in a bikini, but there you go.

I've started shooting night skies with my boy (bought him that A6000 & 12/2) & although I've done okay, f/3.5 at 21mm isn't idea..... I'd love the CV24/1.4E but I think it would be too pricey just for night shooting & to use it all the time for landscape would defeat the whole point of the small, light 21/3.5.......

After this discussion I remembered that I had a smallrig L plate for the camera, so popped it on. It DOES make it easier to hold, but it also takes the weight & size up to something similar to a D610/750 and suddenly it's not a small camera any more. I'll leave it on for the weekend and see how we go.

I used to have l-plate on the A7RII and quite liked it. But with A7RIII it becomes a bit bulky.

Sometimes it's not a problem till it becomes a problem lol. I was happy with the body till just 5 days ago.

I have a X-T3 lined up to test out next week. Sony A6400 would be a better option since it's be able to keep my 100-400mm lens and AF looks amazing. But there isn't a good mid-zoom lens. I wish Sony would update the Zeiss 16-70mm.

I used to have l-plate on the A7RII and quite liked it. But with A7RIII it becomes a bit bulky.

Sometimes it's not a problem till it becomes a problem lol. I was happy with the body till just 5 days ago.

I have a X-T3 lined up to test out next week. Sony A6400 would be a better option since it's be able to keep my 100-400mm lens and AF looks amazing. But there isn't a good mid-zoom lens. I wish Sony would update the Zeiss 16-70mm.

I can't see either the XT3 nor A6400 being ergonomically better than what you have, maybe even worse! The XT bodies don't have good grip, it's one thing I dislike about them, I gripped my XT1, it was the only camera I left the battery grip on for most of the time. The XH1 on the other hand would be an improvement. Very nicely built camera that with a decent chunky grip - it's one I'm interested in besides the Sony offerings. But then I don't need the insanely speedy AF you guys all yearn for.

Last edited:
I can't see either the XT3 nor A6400 being ergonomically better than what you have, maybe even worse! The XT bodies don't have good grip, it's one thing I dislike about them, I gripped my XT1, it was the only camera I left the battery grip on for most of the time. The XH1 on the other hand would be an improvement. Very nicely built camera that with a decent chunky grip - it's one I'm interested in besides the Sony offerings. But then I don't need the insanely speedy AF you guys all yearn for.

X-H1 would be an AF downgrade so wouldn't really go there.

Had the A6000 before and its dead easy to shoot single handed. No issues at all here. I could even drop the body in my pocket. In fact I used to carry around a A6000+16-70, with nex7+10-18mm in jacket pocket and a 35mm f1.8 in the other pocket. Was rather nice and small.

Its been a while since I have used X-T1, so I'll give X-T3 a try because why not... worst case scenario it'll be a little educational ;)

After this discussion I remembered that I had a smallrig L plate for the camera, so popped it on. It DOES make it easier to hold, but it also takes the weight & size up to something similar to a D610/750 and suddenly it's not a small camera any more. I'll leave it on for the weekend and see how we go.

I don’t think I could use my A7iii without my Small-rig on it now. Makes it feel a decent size and much more sturdy. Gives a pinky grip but also hand support. Using that I can happily one hand it with a 70-200 f4 on.

This is all reminding me of the 1st world problems thread but you're only here once, life is short and the one who dies with the most toys wins… So my advice to people who can afford it is to buy anything and everything they fancy even if they decide they don't like it after 5 minutes.

Thinking about the camera kit I've owned the best handling was probably the Panasonic G1 and the worst was the Panasonic G7 the grip of which was for me so uncomfortable that I just hated picking it up and using it. How they went from (for me) excellent with the G1 to awful with the G7 I don't know.

This is all reminding me of the 1st world problems thread but you're only here once, life is short and the one who dies with the most toys wins… So my advice to people who can afford it is to buy anything and everything they fancy even if they decide they don't like it after 5 minutes.

Thinking about the camera kit I've owned the best handling was probably the Panasonic G1 and the worst was the Panasonic G7 the grip of which was for me so uncomfortable that I just hated picking it up and using it. How they went from (for me) excellent with the G1 to awful with the G7 I don't know.

Ergonomics are hugely important to some, more so than all this insane AF speed thing - i don't get that side of it at all, most modern camera are quick enough to keep up with most of our needs, but clearly it's very important to some also. I wouldn't call them FWP .... if you're spending a large chunk of money you better enjoy what you're buying.

well I'd buy something else if I knew what that something else was.

with another trip planned in just over 3 weeks time, it may not be a good idea to swap now. Besides fuji XF 16-80mm isn't even out yet, so fuji isn't an immediate replacement option.
Part of me wonders if I should should pickup a cheap a-mount body lol. A68+16-80mm would be decent :D

Last edited:
X-H1 would be an AF downgrade so wouldn't really go there.

Had the A6000 before and its dead easy to shoot single handed. No issues at all here. I could even drop the body in my pocket. In fact I used to carry around a A6000+16-70, with nex7+10-18mm in jacket pocket and a 35mm f1.8 in the other pocket. Was rather nice and small.

Its been a while since I have used X-T1, so I'll give X-T3 a try because why not... worst case scenario it'll be a little educational ;)

What do you actually need insane AF for? And having a toddler isn't enough, as we've all had those at some point, whether it be our own kids or relatives kids whatever, and managed years back without lightening fast eye-AF and all that Jazz

Ergonomics are hugely important to some, more so than all this insane AF speed thing - i don't get that side of it at all, most modern camera are quick enough to keep up with most of our needs, but clearly it's very important to some also. I wouldn't call them FWP .... if you're spending a large chunk of money you better enjoy what you're buying.

its all a compromise in the end. I rather not compromise on glass. At least that part Sony has got right on FF (not so much on APS-C).

What do you actually need insane AF for? And having a toddler isn't enough, as we've all had those at some point, whether it be our own kids or relatives kids whatever, and managed years back without lightening fast eye-AF and all that Jazz

insane AF isn't just for the toddler though it does help. It's for animals/birds and planes.
But I am willing to compromise a little on this front if everything else is in order :)

Last edited:
They're FWP but luckily some of us are lucky enough to get to spend large chunks finding out if we enjoy the kit or not. That was sort of my point.

its all a compromise in the end. I rather not compromise on glass. At least that part Sony has got right on FF (not so much on APS-C).

What attracts me to Sony is the ISO performance and DR combined mostly, also the IBIS - as there are obviously other FF options. The ergonomics don't really entice me but I know I'd get used to it. Like I say, the Fuji XT1 was certainly not ergonomically great, my G80 p***es all over the XT bodies on that front. If I bought an XT3 I'd want the grip, but I think grips are way over priced for what they are and that irritates me.

Back