The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They’re £1200 grey and there’s one secondhand atm in the classifieds for less than that. Surely your 70-200 was similar?
Yeah it was, but I was comparing UK prices ;)

Is the FE 501.8 really as crap as people make out? Some say the FW update improved it a lot. It would be the ideal starter for someone deciding to try the system, like me! But I've definitely read more bad than good about this one
I picked one up recently from Amazon and optically it seems to be quite good. I'm not one to do test-targets and brick wall shots, but the results I've had from it are very sharp and have little or no distortion or CA. From that regard it's better than the 28/2 FE which is a similar size and slightly heavier. However the AF on the 50 is as bad as everyone says - noisy and very slow! If you've ever used the Canon EF 50/1.8 mark 1 lens (which I happen to own) then the AF is very similar to that. I did a quick comparison of that Canon against the Sony and the Sony is sharper and gives much better contrast, but I suppose that could be down to in-camera software corrections on the Sony?

Is the FE 501.8 really as crap as people make out? Some say the FW update improved it a lot. It would be the ideal starter for someone deciding to try the system, like me! But I've definitely read more bad than good about this one

Well take a look at how many people sing Canikons nifty praise then look here... It's £150, not Zeiss money, not sure what people are expecting... Optically it's good, AF might not be the best but canons MK2 was terrible all round for build and AF and the G isn't fast either.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...n-EOS-5D-Mark-IV__1701_1035_435_814_1541_1106

Last edited:
The problem with DXOmark is they're never comparing on the same sensor, I mean how would the Canon score on the A7RII? I'm curious because I have the STM already

Well it can't but you get a good enough comparative result when the MP are close and the camera generation is about the same.

Well it can't but you get a good enough comparative result when the MP are close and the camera generation is about the same.

If you switch the Canon to the 5DsR there's less between them overall and the Canon pulls ahead in sharpness. I wouldn't pay much heed to that, I imagine both are plenty sharp enough on a FF sensor - the STM does need stopping down, I found that even on M43. It's AF speed and noise that I'd be interested in, the STM is a noisey little bugger and hardly the fasted 50 on the market. All the negative reviews on the Sony seem to be pre-FW update

Last edited:
If you switch the Canon to the 5DsR there's less between them overall and the Canon pulls ahead in sharpness. I wouldn't pay much heed to that, I imagine both are plenty sharp enough on a FF sensor - the STM does need stopping down, I found that even on M43. It's AF speed and noise that I'd be interested in, the STM is a noisey little bugger and hardly the fasted 50 on the market. All the negative reviews on the Sony seem to be pre-FW update

More MP = more perceived sharpness.
The sharpness scores on dxomark are somewhat useless.
The (only) useful part to compare would be the field maps. even those are not always consistent and contradict each other sometimes.
I find lens rentals tests more useful but they don't test all the lenses and nowadays neither does DXO.

How much did both your systems cost? Bodies and lenses?
A lot, too much :eek: ;) Most of that's been built up over the years though, it's not as though I could shell all that out in one go (y). Still some way off £10k though ;)
You're not going to have much change from a new Leica and nice prime out of £10K
True, but think of all the drooling you'd do over the images ;)

Well take a look at how many people sing Canikons nifty praise then look here... It's £150, not Zeiss money, not sure what people are expecting... Optically it's good, AF might not be the best but canons MK2 was terrible all round for build and AF and the G isn't fast either.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...n-EOS-5D-Mark-IV__1701_1035_435_814_1541_1106

I found it hunted in low light, but no worse than other budget lenses. Its actually built quite well. More solid than the Canon and Nikon version IMO.

The slightly slow and noisy AF is not really an issue for most situations!

Will be interesting too see how the Samyang 45mm compares (both IQ/build/cost)

A lot, too much :eek: ;) Most of that's been built up over the years though, it's not as though I could shell all that out in one go (y). Still some way off £10k though ;)
True, but think of all the drooling you'd do over the images ;)

But in blind tests when no one can see the red dot everyone would probably prefer pictures taken with a much cheaper Sony set up :D

There's an A9 in the for sale section.

I don't know if the price is a good one or a great one but it's there :D

If there's a revolutionary A9ii I wonder if there'll be a few more A9's for sale as people are tempted to the A9ii?

There's also a price drop on an A7rIII which looks to be at a good price to me.

Last edited:
I have both an A7Riii and an A9 in the FS section. :oops: :$

I've done a full circle and decided to go back to an A7iii. The other two, as much as I love them, are overkill for me and I need to free up some funds for other GAS related purchases. :ROFLMAO:

I have both an A7Riii and an A9 in the FS section. :oops: :$

I've done a full circle and decided to go back to an A7iii. The other two, as much as I love them, are overkill for me and I need to free up some funds for other GAS related purchases. :ROFLMAO:

I'd like either but I do know it's just gas so I'll just wish you good luck with the sale :D

Hopefully more dynamic range, it’s a very good camera already other than that.

I don’t suppose it needs to be any faster than it already is. Would image it will get a bit of a bump in resolution, possibly better animal a.f. Maybe a better evf, like the one in the Panasonic S1R would be nice.

Who knows maybe they will eventually listen and change the focus point colour and add seconds to the clock.

Longterm, I think resolution is where it needs to be maybe for the next decade or so. You're right, though, Dynamic Range is the holy grail. I haven't seen a huge step forward in DR in about 7 or 8 years (D800). I'd take the hit on file size for better DR but have no need for anything more than 24mp. Sony has been smart putting everything into focusing ability. EyeAF is something that is easily sold - the same way high MP is easy to market.

The metalens will be huge for photography. Small lenses with wide apertures and no CA would be the perfect accompaniment for a mirrorless camera. Imagine having a 35mm 1.4 pancake lens. *salivates* It will also make smartphones able to compete optically.

But in blind tests when no one can see the red dot everyone would probably prefer pictures taken with a much cheaper Sony set up :D
Maybe with the newer stuff, but those old Leica lenses <drool>

I wouldn't trust the 2470 f4 either, but I'd keep my expectations for a 150 quid lens in check. It's not a lot of money for a brand new mirrorless lens, the kit lens should never cost more than 150 quid either, its only got a high rrp to push kit over body sales.
Is the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 that bad then?

Maybe with the newer stuff, but those old Leica lenses <drool>

I have to be honest and say I've never been wowed by Leica (modern) images, I think there's a definite placebo effect attached to them. In blind tests compared to other decent set ups, if processed the same I think the results would be very mixed. Same with old lenses, there's some cheap old Russian lenses that completely rip them off and the results look much the same for a fraction of the cost.

Agreed, and I think we'll see more of them flooding the SH market. Within hours there's two for sale here!

I suspect the the new A9ii will be £3.5-4k so the current A9 is still a good deal IMO.

Back