The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Shot first wedding yesterday, mainly video but did get a few images as well. What a great day and experience that was! Properly shattered by the end though!

I had 3 in a row there. Totally bollocksed. Have 3 in a row again start of August and 4 in a row towards end of August fs

They fairly take it out of ya

Honestly don't know why anyone cares about these figures unless they have shares in the company

They are important because the camera companies think they are important.
When Sony purchased the rights to Minolta's A-Mount, they saw it as a way into the DSLR market - and were reasonably aggressive with the price and functionality of their initial DSLR models (A100, A200, A300, A350).
They made some headway into the market, and soon had 15-20% market share - BUT, when they failed to get above this, they decided they needed a change of direction, and went for the DSLT models (but still with A-Mount).
This failed to make the progress they wanted, and they switched again to E-Mount - then FF E-Mount, which finally got they sort of sales figures they wanted, and we see the benefits with the rapid growth in terms of new models and lenses.
Without the sales figures this would not have happened, and if Sony find their market share slipping back at any point, they will look for the next way to turn things around.

Sales figures are important, as they are what drives the decisions on the future of the products.

Shot first wedding yesterday, mainly video but did get a few images as well. What a great day and experience that was! Properly shattered by the end though!

Wait until you have to do a few in a row. We have weddings on Friday, Saturday & Sunday this week.

I had 3 in a row there. Totally bollocksed. Have 3 in a row again start of August and 4 in a row towards end of August fs

They fairly take it out of ya
Wait until you have to do a few in a row. We have weddings on Friday, Saturday & Sunday this week.

Haha fair point. In my defence I am also a full time secondary school teacher at the end of a busy half term as well so slightly knackered from that :D

Haha fair point. In my defence I am also a full time secondary school teacher at the end of a busy half term as well so slightly knackered from that :D

Only works to half three every day.

Has the summer off along with every public and bank holiday.

Says he is tired.

Poor diddums.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but we had some really nice skies down on the Mendips today. Especially after they forecast dull & showers!!

Dull, then that fine fret rain and then a bit of sun and then back to the rain. We went out but I didn't bother taking a camera.

Did a 7 1/2 mile walk around Bampton in Oxon this afternoon - some dramatic skies at times, but foreground wasn't that great mostly so only took a few - as many with the phone as camera - especially since it was a training walk & not photographic.

I had a night where I slept badly last week, so got up in time for sunrise. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with those shots, but here are some taken on the way home afterwards: all chronological, and over the space of 5 min the colour bled from the sky and land.

Sunrise across the valley 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Sunrise across the valley 2 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Sunrise across the valley 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Sunrise across the valley 4 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Nice to witness :) We've not had decent misty mornings for a while it seems now!!

I think for the first time ever I had a zoom for a day out, it's sooooo practical (news to nobody, I appreciate!) The a7III and Tamron RXD combo is superb, instant AF, the Eye AF works perfectly and it handles like a dream. I did struggle to appreciate that I had 28-75mm available to me, as 90% of the many, many thousands of photos I've taken over the years have been at 35mm or 85mm. Happy days, and nice knowing I have the 55mm 1.8 in the bag if light demands it.

Dean Forest Railway by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Dean Forest Railway by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

A snap of my parents dog. Still to try animal af though..

47948641023_224b12cf3d_b.jpg
[/url]

Is it fundamentally impossible to make a 35mm 1.8 for Sony FE?!

This gets mentioned a lot, not just on here.

You can only assume that Sony have looked at it and decided against it.

For those that want light weight there is the 35mm f/2.8 and for those that want the ultimate image quality and don't care about the additional weight there is the Zeiss & Sigma 35mm f/1.4.

I wouldn't think it would be impossible to make one but it's possibly difficult to make it small and light weight, which is what that lens needs to be really. The RX1 has a 35mm f/2.

Maybe they think it's a focal length that is already well covered and are concentrating on focal lengths that aren't currently available for now. You would imagine it would be something that will happen at some time or another although other than the 28mm f/2 and the 85mm f/1.8 there isn't that many other cheapish Sony primes.

Maybe the announcement will be a 35mm f/1.8.

Last edited:
would love to hear about your experience. it too expensive for me :(
Someone just pulled it out and through it down on top of the table. :oops: :$

Too expensive for me to this one.

We shall see, have to sell my super mint 500mmII and 100-400mmII to fund both 400mm 2.8GM and 100-400mm GM

Every company does at least one inexplicably stupid thing, perhaps we should consider ourselves fortunate they're wasting so much of their stupid time on not making a 35mm f/1.8?

I get Sony not getting around to making one, but it seems odd that Samyang haven't had a pop given its a big hole in the market.

Back