The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@KitsuneAndy not sure what happened with your photos but does it look like it has lots of compression artefacts?

Yeah I think the forum has killed them, I noticed that earlier.

I might've exported them too high res, didn't check the settings as I usually don't export anything from Lightroom CC just use it for culling

Yeah I think the forum has killed them, I noticed that earlier.

I might've exported them too high res, didn't check the settings as I usually don't export anything from Lightroom CC just use it for culling

I’ve knocked up a few of my holiday pics in LR mobile just for family share whilst here and don’t look too bad. But, the sharpness suffers as I tend to run mine through PS for a final sharpen to web. Quite impressed overall though found the dialogue a bit clunky in places. Haven’t my general preset showing up for one.

Hi, welcome. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

The main difference between the A7 and mk2 is the better ergonomics and body stabilisation. The sensor performance / image quality will be pretty much the same. Very slight bump in AF speed.

The 2470 has built in stabilisation, generally a mixed bag when it comes to quality control and you may be better looking into the Tamron 28-75 2.8 with the saving you make if you go with a A7 Mk1 instead of Mk2.

Depends, do you like zooms or primes, what focal lengths.

Hello,

Thank you for replying. Life is a mysterious old thing and like forest gump said "you never know what you're gonna get"

Unfortunately my budget won't let me stretch to the Tamron lens & Mark 1. Already borrowing money to finance this.

If the lens is a mixed bag for quality control surely the warranty on the lens should sort that out, no?

I'm thinking long run, MK2 better body and at a later date chop in the 24-70 and possibly look at the tamron then???

I've also now been offered the A6300 at a reasonable price, I presume the performance/image IQ would also be the same.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you for replying. Life is a mysterious old thing and like forest gump said "you never know what you're gonna get"

Unfortunately my budget won't let me stretch to the Tamron lens & Mark 1. Already borrowing money to finance this.

If the lens is a mixed bag for quality control surely the warranty on the lens should sort that out, no?

I'm thinking long run, MK2 better body and at a later date chop in the 24-70 and possibly look at the tamron then???

I've also now been offered the A6300 at a reasonable price, I presume the performance/image IQ would also be the same.

Warranty can deal with that but manufacturers have a way of getting round that sometimes, it’s within their tolerances. If your going 24-70 imo you may as well save a bundle and go kit 28-70, they usually go for around 100 quid mint. Then save for the tamron, I don’t like zooms but that’s me.

Not quite, IMO the full frame will still have the edge. The a6300 will have much better auto focus.

Warranty can deal with that but manufacturers have a way of getting round that sometimes, it’s within their tolerances. If your going 24-70 imo you may as well save a bundle and go kit 28-70, they usually go for around 100 quid mint. Then save for the tamron, I don’t like zooms but that’s me.

Not quite, IMO the full frame will still have the edge. The a6300 will have much better auto focus.

thank you, didn't think about the normal kit lens as a stop gap. If I did decide to get the A6300, any recommendations on a lens?

Hello,

TBH I don't think there's much image quality difference between the kit lens and the Zeiss 24-70 from the photos I've looked at, so if you're on a tight budget I'd probably choose the kit 28-70.

thank you, didn't think about the normal kit lens as a stop gap. If I did decide to get the A6300, any recommendations on a lens?

It’s a bit tricky if you want a cheap zoom, ime the 16-50 is just fine for what it is but later if you want a good zoom with wide angle you are fairly limited to something like the 18-105 or 18-135.

I’ve knocked up a few of my holiday pics in LR mobile just for family share whilst here and don’t look too bad. But, the sharpness suffers as I tend to run mine through PS for a final sharpen to web. Quite impressed overall though found the dialogue a bit clunky in places. Haven’t my general preset showing up for one.
Do you use Lightroom CC or Classic on your PC/Mac? It’s a bit clunky, but in order to “sync” presets from Lighteoom Classic you first have to (manually) import them to CC on the desktop. It annoys me how difficult Adobe has made it using Classic on desktop and CC on your mobile/iPad.

TBH I don't think there's much image quality difference between the kit lens and the Zeiss 24-70 from the photos I've looked at, so if you're on a tight budget I'd probably choose the kit 28-70.
I'll probably be going with this and save up for a decent prime, or even the standard 50mm kit lens.

I'll probably be going with this and save up for a decent prime, or even the standard 50mm kit lens.

I recently picked up the kit lens for £100 brand new on the classifieds. I would say it's actually quite good in the wider end 28-45mm ish, not very impressive in the 50-70mm range.

48462520191_4dabe1e1ef_h.jpg

Amur Leopard, Panthera pardus orientalis .
The Cat Survival Trust, Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
Jessops Academy Experience Day, pressie from my family.
A7RIII 100-400GM

Do you use Lightroom CC or Classic on your PC/Mac? It’s a bit clunky, but in order to “sync” presets from Lighteoom Classic you first have to (manually) import them to CC on the desktop. It annoys me how difficult Adobe has made it using Classic on desktop and CC on your mobile/iPad.

That’d be why then. I use classic and so haven’t updated since it used to be mobile. For what I normally use CC for (yearly collections of my faves) it still works the same. But on the fly, whilst on holiday, thought I’d have a dabble with editing a couple.

Ordered a FE 50mm f1.8. Let's see what all the fuss is about :D

it'll probably end up in sales sooner or later since I am not really a 50mm shooter.

Strongly considering buying the 85GM

Did firmware updates make the focus faster ?

48462520191_4dabe1e1ef_h.jpg

Amur Leopard, Panthera pardus orientalis .
The Cat Survival Trust, Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
Jessops Academy Experience Day, pressie from my family.
A7RIII 100-400GM

Stunning Capture

I would consider the 85GM AF slow. But for its intended purpose, it's fast enough as nandbytes says. I think I've been spoilt by some of the other Sony lenses with really fast AF.

It is slow, dead slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It is also outstanding.

Not sure if you will like it though, it's a lens with a lot of character but not technically outstanding. I love mine. It's a total cream machine.

Last edited:
I feel like I've seen some beach volleyball photos that looked cool, shot with A9 + 85GM - can't find them though :(

It is slow, dead slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It is also outstanding.

Not sure if you will like it though, it's a lens with a lot of character but not technically outstanding. I love mine. It's a total cream machine.

Just bought it bro

Narrowed down my search for an 85 to the Zeiss or the Sony. Anyone have any input as to which is better? They seem fairly evenly matched from what I’ve seen on reviews?

Narrowed down my search for an 85 to the Zeiss or the Sony. Anyone have any input as to which is better? They seem fairly evenly matched from what I’ve seen on reviews?

The Sony, all day long. I owned both at the same time and the Batis was the one I sold on. There was little to nothing in it, in fact I thought the Sony focused faster

Back