The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Indeed, Sony do largrly seem to be aiming for the higher end but having said that the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 I own are reasonably priced as is the 28mm which tempts me a little. The Batis may well be a very good lens but as I've said many times on this issue personally I don't need lenses which are aiming at being amongst the best mass market lenses on sale and I'd possibly accept good lenses rather than very good and amongst the best ever lenses. But, the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 aren't exactly poor lenses are they? And they're around the £500 mark.

I don't tbink it's impossible that we'll see an 85mm at about the £500 or so mark, it could happen.

but you shouldn't want to compromise such quality sensors by putting cheap glass on the end of it. If anyone buys the a7rii and wants to only spend a few hundred pound on the glass- well that's silly. With the a7, you won't find too many bargain bucket lenses. And rightly so. This is not a system that is accessible if you are on a budget. I mean native lenses btw.

Fuji may be the way to go if you want decent performance from the camera with a wide range of lenses within that budget.

With the a7, you won't find too many bargain bucket lenses. And rightly so. This is not a system that is accessible if you are on a budget. I mean native lenses btw.

That's a bit 'odd' considering the a7 is marketed as an entry level ff camera to compete against other similar cameras.

Wondering what the forum thinks of sticking a GGS glass screen on the A7RM2 LCD panel. Thinking of protecting it but wondering about temperature increase? Had one on my Panasonic Lumix LX5 and worked fine.

Last edited:
View attachment 46261
Saw some sh*t early on on the sensor latterly took a blue sky shot at f22 and it is minging. Had a FF sensor last on the Canon 5D but this sh*t could have been shipped to me!
Having trouble uploading a reasonably sized image - suggestions please?

Clean it? Not really any other option with dust bunnies if they don't shift with a basic rocket blower and the built in self clean.

Neither the self cleaner nor rocket has shifted this so now I need to know what flavour of Eclipse or whatever is current should I use. To me the big blobs look like oil or some other contaminant, NOT dust bunnies IMO?

but you shouldn't want to compromise such quality sensors by putting cheap glass on the end of it. If anyone buys the a7rii and wants to only spend a few hundred pound on the glass- well that's silly. With the a7, you won't find too many bargain bucket lenses. And rightly so. This is not a system that is accessible if you are on a budget. I mean native lenses btw.

Fuji may be the way to go if you want decent performance from the camera with a wide range of lenses within that budget.

I've looked at Fuji and keep looking but there are just too many little foibles and of course it's an APS-C system and not FF and therefore not ideal for my 18 or so manual lenses.

DXO may or may not the font of all knowledge but they may be worth looking at now and again and they list the 55mm f1.8 at number 3 in their list of tested lenses. The 35mm f2.8 is at No.22 and the 28mm f2 is at No.16 and all of those are considerably cheaper than the Batis 85mm f1.8 (£900 or so?)

I don't think that any of those circa £350-500 lenses qualify as cheap glass that's going to compromise the quality sensors :D

The 35mm f2.8 is the lowest on the list of those lenses and I have to say that it's an absolutely outstanding lens so an 85 that makes it into the top 20 or so is going to be pretty excellent enough for me. I'm pretty sure that if Sony release a 85mm 1.8/2 of the same quality as the 55, 35 and 28 (I don't own the 28mm but from what I've read it's getting excellent reviews) and keep it around the same price point (£350-500 or so) I'll be very happy with it :D

PS.
Just on the accessible on a budget Fuji system...
The 23mm f1.4 is £650.
The 56mm f1.2 is £700.
The 18mm f2 is £360.
So, it looks to me like the prices are roughly, pretty much comparable or even a touch more expensive as the Sony lenses that interest me most are in the region of £350-500.

Last edited:
Neither the self cleaner nor rocket has shifted this so now I need to know what flavour of Eclipse or whatever is current should I use. To me the big blobs look like oil or some other contaminant, NOT dust bunnies IMO?

Fluid...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WBR8C6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWK1Q6AQWBW6H

Pads...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I don't know if it'll be oil on the sensor as there's no flappy mirror to be lubricated, maybe something sticky from the world like pollen? Whatever it is Eclipse should shift it.

Last edited:
I've looked at Fuji and keep looking but there are just too many little foibles and of course it's an APS-C system and not FF and therefore not ideal for my 18 or so manual lenses.

DXO may or may not the font of all knowledge but they may be worth looking at now and again and they list the 55mm f1.8 at number 3 in their list of tested lenses. The 35mm f2.8 is at No.22 and the 28mm f2 is at No.16 and all of those are considerably cheaper than the Batis 85mm f1.8 (£900 or so?)

I don't think that any of those circa £350-500 lenses qualify as cheap glass that's going to compromise the quality sensors :D

The 35mm f2.8 is the lowest on the list of those lenses and I have to say that it's an absolutely outstanding lens so an 85 that makes it into the top 20 or so is going to be pretty excellent enough for me. I'm pretty sure that if Sony release a 85mm 1.8/2 of the same quality as the 55, 35 and 28 (I don't own the 28mm but from what I've read it's getting excellent reviews) and keep it around the same price point (£350-500 or so) I'll be very happy with it :D

PS.
Just on the accessible on a budget Fuji system...
The 23mm f1.4 is £650.
The 56mm f1.2 is £700.
The 18mm f2 is £360.
So, it looks to me like the prices are roughly, pretty much comparable or even a touch more expensive as the Sony lenses that interest me most are in the region of £350-500.

The bit that I feel Sony are missing isn't actually primes (although something like the Nikon "G" lineup would be good) but quality, cheaper zooms, the Zeiss 24-70 f4 is regarded to be pretty poor, the 28-70 is a strange focal length (24mm would be better) and the 16-35 is very expensive, whereas Fuji (as that seems to be the comparison we're doing here) has the 18-55 which is fairly cheap and very good, the 16-55 f2.8 which again is a cracking, sharp lens and costs less than the Zeiss 24-70 new...

Not everyone is looking to shoot purely primes on the A7/ii/r and the zoom range so far is (aside from the expensive 16-35) is average at best.

I don't think 28-70mm is all that strange. It's been about for years and Canon and Nikon have done plenty. Even these days once you do the crop factor conversion many lenses are the same. MFT does plenty of 14-42mm and the Fuji 18-55 is effectively 27-82mm which is near enough.

I still haven't used my 28-70mm outside of the house and garden :D It does seem to be a good lens though and I'm sure that many people could get by with just two lenses, the 28-70mm and a prime for low light and artistic use and for when the smallest camera and lens package is an advantage.

Back in the good old days 28mm was about as wide a many went in zoom or prime. 24mm as a prime or as the starting point of a zoom meant paying more and wasn't as common.

Last edited:
on the lens cost thing, you could do a spread sheet and price up different options including lenses

for me the cost is more than i can justify/afford, and for some stuff i do still not quiete there yet, and the lenses are mostly same size/weight as dslr ones, averaging better iq admitidly as they are new

Neither would I, which is the problem for a7 users.

I know we've been through this many many times...

You rarely get cutting edge quality for a bargain price and there's little doubt that Sony is aiming high and that usually means higher prices but having said that look at the examples I gave above of the 28, 35 and 55mm lenses.

These all get good scores over at DXO and place highly amongst the lenses they've tested and in my opinion they're reasonably priced. Direct comparison to alternative lenses is pretty difficult as where are the other exceptional quality 55mm f1.8's, 35mm f2.8's or 28mm f2's but even looked at in isolation considering the quality I think that they're reasonably priced. The 55mm f1.8 and the 35mm f2.8 are exceptional performers and whilst as I said above I can't give a personal opinion on the 28mm it too seems to be getting very good reviews and it does well on the DXO league table.

For the quality I think that the price of these three lenses seems very reasonable to me and if they can do the same with an 85, maybe a 135 and also a macro I can see myself buying them all. The thought of spending close to £1k on an 85mm or macro does make me cringe a bit and I doubt I will.

Maybe now they're done mkII's of all the three bodies they can put some recourses into lenses but we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime I have a drawer full of manual lenses I can use alongside the 35, 55 and so far unused 28-70mm :D

The zooms may well be a different story, but as I rarely use them I'm not that bothered.

Last edited:
The zooms may well be a different story, but as I rarely use them I'm not that bothered.

Your right there, the zooms aren't good enough as it stands, the focus on primes is all well and good but there are many many people who like to use zooms and that's not possible with the current line up.
I'm sure they're already working on the MKIII of the A7..... lol, Sony does love new camera bodies!

I know we've been through this many many times...

You rarely get cutting edge quality for a bargain price and there's little doubt that Sony is aiming high and that usually means higher prices but having said that look at the examples I gave above of the 28, 35 and 55mm lenses.

These all get good scores over at DXO and place highly amongst the lenses they've tested and in my opinion they're reasonably priced. Direct comparison to alternative lenses is pretty difficult as where are the other exceptional quality 55mm f1.8's, 35mm f2.8's or 28mm f2's but even looked at in isolation considering the quality I think that they're reasonably priced. The 55mm f1.8 and the 35mm f2.8 are exceptional performers and whilst as I said above I can't give a personal opinion on the 28mm it too seems to be getting very good reviews and it does well on the DXO league table.

For the quality I think that the price of these three lenses seems very reasonable to me and if they can do the same with an 85, maybe a 135 and also a macro I can see myself buying them all. The thought of spending close to £1k on an 85mm or macro does make me cringe a bit and I doubt I will.

Maybe now they're done mkII's of all the three bodies they can put some recourses into lenses but we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime I have a drawer full of manual lenses I can use alongside the 35, 55 and so far unused 28-70mm :D

Digrev are doing the 85 batis for under £800. I was close to getting it. But picked up a sigma 85 1.4 for £400.
The 28 can now be found for less then £300 now so that may be worth a go.

The 28 can now be found for less then £300 now so that may be worth a go.
Stop it.

PS.
I used to have a Sigma 85mm f1.4 when I had Canon DSLR's. Until I got the A7 and lenses I thought it was the best AF lens I'd ever used.

Last edited:
Stop it.

PS.
I used to have a Sigma 85mm f1.4 when I had Canon DSLR's. Until I got the A7 and lenses I thought it was the best AF lens I'd ever used.

It's quite a heavy lump. But it's up there with my favourite lenses. Which kind of rules out the purchase of the batis for the sony.

Your right there, the zooms aren't good enough as it stands, the focus on primes is all well and good but there are many many people who like to use zooms and that's not possible with the current line up.
I'm sure they're already working on the MKIII of the A7..... lol, Sony does love new camera bodies!

they dont like a mount bodies, thats certain, sigh...

Well, to be honest it isn't actually impossible to use zooms with the current line up, not to 200mm anyway. Sony have from what I've read, a wide zoom (I forget the focal range) which has been getting good reviews, a standard 24-70mm which it's fair to say divides opinion and a 70-200mm which AFAIK has been getting good reviews and if that's the case it's two good lenses and one which divides opinion.

Dunno if I'll ever buy any of them, maybe the wide is the most likely.

I have used a loan 16-35mm and it was really good - I will buy one at some point, but not at the current new price.

the crop 11 to 18? works on ff from 12 to 17mm i think
you can go to the dizzy heights of 240mm with the travel zoom, and i guess with a7r2 u can crop alot, but head of sony obivously thinks anything 200+mm isnt photographic

the crop 11 to 18? works on ff from 12 to 17mm i think
you can go to the dizzy heights of 240mm with the travel zoom, and i guess with a7r2 u can crop alot, but head of sony obivously thinks anything 200+mm isnt photographic

Er, no. I was thinking of FE lenses and the wide is the 16-35mm f4. Yours for £1k. So, as I didn't know about the "travel zoom" that's 16-240mm covered by various zooms of various and debatable optical quality and at various price points.

Maybe just like the Fuji system (for example) lovely though it is really isn't for me and the A7 system is the A7 system (lovely though it is) just isn't for you/some at least at this point in time?

Er, no. I was thinking of FE lenses and the wide is the 16-35mm f4. Yours for £1k. So, as I didn't know about the "travel zoom" that's 16-240mm covered by various zooms of various and debatable optical quality and at various price points.

Maybe just like the Fuji system (for example) lovely though it is really isn't for me and the A7 system is the A7 system (lovely though it is) just isn't for you/some at least at this point in time?

That 16-35 f4 can be found for less than £700 grey. Meant to be a nice lens.

Camera price buster say the the lowest UK price is £795 right now and the cheapest it's *ever* been available for is £777.

Most retailers are selling it for £829 and the SRP was £1049 when it was launched in 2010.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-FX-Lenses/Nikon-AF-S-16-35mm-f4G-ED-VR-Lens

Best UK price on the FE 16-35 is £1079, though.
Camera price buster say the the lowest UK price is £795 right now and the cheapest it's *ever* been available for is £777.

Most retailers are selling it for £829 and the SRP was £1049 when it was launched in 2010.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-FX-Lenses/Nikon-AF-S-16-35mm-f4G-ED-VR-Lens

Best UK price on the FE 16-35 is £1079, though.

I've forgotten I took cashback into consideration on the 16-35, as you day it's still almost £300 less when UK stock is compares though.

Great news, Sony listening to the public.
I wonder what the new FE telephoto will be? 300mm f4? Or a safe 70-300 variable. [emoji41][emoji106]

One slight concern is that Sony most have decided to use compressed raws for a reason and it'll therefore be interesting to see if there are any drawbacks.

If and when a firmware update is released for my old A7 I'll probably install it as it can always be turned off again but at the speed I shoot.... slooooow, I doubt any throughput reduction will be an issue.

Just on the old ad oft repeated issue of there being no lenses... I do think that Sony have done quite well considering the length of time the system has been going but I do think that the system is best for people like me, prime and legacy lens users rather than people wanting to use native zooms... Maybe that'll change at some point.

In a few years I think the system will be great, that's why I keep a keen eye on things despite never having had an E-mount body.

New 24-70 coming apparently, maybe this will up the quality? Also a 21mm of some sort?

In a few years I think the system will be great, that's why I keep a keen eye on things despite never having had an E-mount body.

New 24-70 coming apparently, maybe this will up the quality? Also a 21mm of some sort?

If the lossless raws are a success and answer peoples concerns and if they can do another 8 lenses relatively quickly and if focus and tracking etc can be improved with future models (and adapters) then you have to wonder when Nikon and Canon will start to hurt and introduce their own rival mirrorless systems. I'd imagine that it would be expensive for them to do (Sony must have spent a shed load of dosh) and they'd have to make a much better job than, for example, the Canon M.

I suppose one other area of criticism that the FE system will still be open to is battery life. If they could do something there too it'd be an even more attractive system.

Ok, after selling just about all of my Canon gear, I'm looking for a flash/trigger system to go with my, A711, A7R2 and A6000. Does anyone have any thoughts on a semi decent setup?

Cheers

Even if true (which considering the source has removed the post), it's still probably not straightforward. Sony hasn't had uncompressed raws for a while, so raw converters will have to be updated, etc. Anyone on old versions of software might not be entirely compatible with the new raw files.

Even if true (which considering the source has removed the post), it's still probably not straightforward. Sony hasn't had uncompressed raws for a while, so raw converters will have to be updated, etc. Anyone on old versions of software might not be entirely compatible with the new raw files.

The Sony UK spec page lists the raws as 14 bit. Can anything be deduced from that?

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7sm2/specifications

Back