The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't know what you have done recently @woof woof but the colours and output you have been posting lately have been much nicer than 6 months ago.

may be he decided to use the WB slider ;)
My 35mm f1.8 turned up and I'm quite impressed.

It seems to focus quickly and it may just be faster than my other AF lenses and it focuses quite close too which is very nice for the odd close up shots of flowers and stuff.

HjcWK0f.jpg

3XfS26X.jpg

This is a shot of a clock with the 35mm f2.8 at about MFD.

lhyheXg.jpg

Same thing with the 35mm f1.8 at about MFD.

WvxLfxt.jpg

That's quite a significant difference to me and will be useful.

100% of that.

zmCvvng.jpg

That's very sharp on my screen. I know it's smack in the centre of the frame but still nice and sharp. I'll see how it performs later but so far the only drawback is the size. I do wish it could have been just a bit bigger than the f2.8 or maybe like the f2 on the RX1 range... but it is what it is and will no doubt be a lot smaller and lighter than the f1.4's.

very nice indeed

I am thinking of cancelling my Amazon (pre-)order for the FE35/1.8. If anyone wants to make use of my discount give me a shout. Current ETA is 13th September.

Last edited:
I don't know what you have done recently @woof woof but the colours and output you have been posting lately have been much nicer than 6 months ago.

It's the same camera and the same processing mostly but using different lenses, ie modern AF ones. Some of my older manual lenses give a different look. The only other thing that's changed is that I often use wide area and face detect whereas I never bothered before.

Don't know what the Amazon price glitch was, but Park had 10% off code - ~£563. Mine gets delivered Thursday (as requested, it's not late).
don't think it was a price glitch. just a short time discount. It was selling for £531.

For those with a keen interest in UWA lenses like myself two new ones posted on the rumours site

Kamlan 15mm f2 - https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-image-of-the-new-kamlan-15mm-f-2-0-fe-lens/

And

Samyang 18mm f2.8 - https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5...-new-18mm-f-2-8-fe-lens-in-september-october/

We know how good the equivalent laowa 15mm and batis 18mm are. Both sets rather high standards. Could make for cheaper alternatives.

That 18mm is very interesting for me. If that came out I’d probably ditch my wide angle zoom and go 18mm 2.8 then get the Sigma 24mm 1.4

That 18mm is very interesting for me. If that came out I’d probably ditch my wide angle zoom and go 18mm 2.8 then get the Sigma 24mm 1.4
Indeed just waiting to see how large it is and if it's any better than buying the tamron 17-28mm now.
I have rebought the 24GM. Can't get a better lens IMO.

That sounds interesting. I still have and use my Nikon-mount Sigma 12-24 which is a heavyish lump to cart about, but a pancake 18mm would be nice for interior work at a small fraction of the weight.
That is indeed a lump. I too am intrigued to find out the size of the 18mm

Mate of mine has his FE35/1.8 turn up on Saturday evening!!!

My 35mm f1.8 turned up and I'm quite impressed.

It seems to focus quickly and it may just be faster than my other AF lenses and it focuses quite close too which is very nice for the odd close up shots of flowers and stuff.

HjcWK0f.jpg

3XfS26X.jpg

This is a shot of a clock with the 35mm f2.8 at about MFD.

lhyheXg.jpg

Same thing with the 35mm f1.8 at about MFD.

WvxLfxt.jpg

That's quite a significant difference to me and will be useful.

100% of that.

zmCvvng.jpg

That's very sharp on my screen. I know it's smack in the centre of the frame but still nice and sharp. I'll see how it performs later but so far the only drawback is the size. I do wish it could have been just a bit bigger than the f2.8 or maybe like the f2 on the RX1 range... but it is what it is and will no doubt be a lot smaller and lighter than the f1.4's.

Nice one. It's your review/opinion I'm really interested in as you also shoot the dinosaur A7 :)

Everyone’s got one now as we were all waiting for it to be released?

You’re missing out :eek:

He snoozed, he loozed :D

I went out earlier and shot a brick wall from wide open to smallest aperture. I'm just going to take a look now... :D

PS.
And the brick wall test tells me that there's vignetting at f1.8 which becomes much less so by f2.8, there's no visible distortion that I can see and it's fine into the corners at f4. Dunno about CA, haven't seen any yet but haven't shot anything too demanding.

Last edited:
Mate of mine has his FE35/1.8 turn up on Saturday evening!!!

Nice one. It's your review/opinion I'm really interested in as you also shoot the dinosaur A7 :)

hehe! I shoot with the classic.

My main worry was that the focus would be all over the place on the older A7 but I needn't have worried as it seems fast and accurate.

hehe! I shoot with the classic.

My main worry was that the focus would be all over the place on the older A7 but I needn't have worried as it seems fast and accurate.

Yes. 'Classic' sounds much nicer :) lmao

That is good to hear. I am still not fully convinced that I need it yet though. Still sitting it out. Cheers though :)

Yes. 'Classic' sounds much nicer :) lmao

That is good to hear. I am still not fully convinced that I need it yet though. Still sitting it out. Cheers though :)

I think it's the best 35mm I've had but as most are old lenses I suppose that doesn't say too much.

Comparing it to the 55mm f1.8 I think that lens is the better lens, just my VHO but I don't think this 35mm is as good across the frame and into the corners. It's an excellent lens though, it's just that the 55mm f1.8 is IMO an outstanding one.

The rumor site says that Sony will launch an APS-C camera on 29th August, a day after Canon launches its latest M6 which the rumor site posts specs of...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4...-after-the-canon-eos-m6-mark-ii-announcement/

I wonder if the Sony camera will follow the same form factor as the A6xxx line or if they'll go back to having a two top dial system like the Nex 7 or will we ever see the long rumored mini SLR style APS-C camera? Time will tell.

Not a great fan of nex7 tbh. It has the same issue as A6xxx series i.e. no forefinger dial. Can't be that hard to add one!

I'd still prefer the Nex 7 set up to the spinning wheel at the back though.

It's probably just Japanese stubbornness that stops them going for a more conventional front and back dials near the top set up.

IMO, no.

It is much better at 35mm though, so there's that.

PS.
I don't regret buying the 35mm f1.8 but I'll have to have a serious think about what I want. The 35mm f2.8 is just so good and it makes for a really compact camera and lens package which IMO looks unintimidating and inconspicuous and I really don't want to move too far away from that and even though the f1.8 is still a relatively small lens it still means a bigger and more obvious package, IMO.

The f1.8 gives more scope for shallow DoF and at the expense of depth it'll lower the ISO and/or raise the shutter speed, so there's that and perhaps more importantly it focuses closer than the f2.8 but the f2.8 is just so good and so compact and the compactness is very attractive to me.

I could see myself selling the f1.8 if I find that I miss the compactness of the f2.8 too much.

I took quite a few low light very high shots with the f2.8 whilst on holiday and the results are mostly good enough for me so it'll take a while for me to make my mind up about this f1.8. The f1.8 and close focus are nice but I'll have to weigh that against the loss of that really compact camera and lens combination that the f2.8 allows.

Last edited:
Back