The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I remember the early reviews some of which said it was a good lens but didn't leave the kit lens far enough behind. I've always thought the kit lens is very decent.

To be fair, at Luminous Landscape (before the main guy died) they raved about the f4 and the pictures did look lovely.

I may just do that.... not just yet though..... :D lol

Get yourself to your friends in sheffield and see what they can rattle up for you ha ha ha

Get yourself to your friends in sheffield and see what they can rattle up for you ha ha ha
They will look after me but you have to remember that I have the Sony A9 ;) I need to mentally accept that it is way more of a camera that I actually need! lol

They will look after me but you have to remember that I have the Sony A9 ;) I need to mentally accept that it is way more of a camera that I actually need! lol

But it won't do much by sitting in that glass cabinet lol

@snerkler how are you finding the Nikon Z7?
I am going to take a closer look at the Z6/Z7 soon :eek:
I really like it, but my demands on camera’s capabilities aren’t what they were. That being said the AF is a lot better than I was expecting, it’s probably on par with the D750. Final image is top quality though (y)

Yes but we're talking banks for buck. A Z6 with 24-70mm f4 for the same price as an A7III only is great value (y)
There is a reason a body released after the A7iii can't hold its value as well as the A7III :p

So no it ain't best bang for buck when there is no bang to pay the buck for :p

Yeah the Sony was a bit meh for the money, it wasn't too bad though, just not worth the price tag imo.
The Nikon 24-70 f4 is a brilliant lens hell a lot better than the Sony version imo.

They both are about equal tbh. Most independent tests confirm that apart from @snerkler who has the only sharp copy :p

They both are about equal tbh. Most independent tests confirm that apart from @snerkler who has the only sharp copy :p
Rookies now has a sharp copy, as does everyone else on the Z thread :p

I'm not sure, maybe not but probably best to compare I guess.

I realise that a lot of people feel like that and that's great. Personally I'm not concerned with bang for your buck and if I spent any money on an A7III it would be like throwing it down the drain as it's not something I could use. Considering what the A9 can be purchased for on some sites I would argue that is the best bang for your buck atm.

I have an A9 although have only used at today’s wedding and 4 x A7III’s, the A7III is an extremely good camera and in some ways better than the A9, especially if you use flash.

There is very little difference in the EVF’s so that would be right at the bottom of the list when deciding between the two.

The A9 is faster.

The A7III has a much improved mechanical shutter, anti flicker and better dynamic range. The A7III is also a much better choice for those that shoot video.

Sure they are all just as good (or bad as) Sony 24-70/4. :p
Never used the Sony so can’t comment. Never seen anything overly sharp on Flickr but that doesn’t mean much ;)

Never used the Sony so can’t comment. Never seen anything overly sharp on Flickr but that doesn’t mean much ;)

you just haven't looked properly then and subjective opinion.

How about we try objective ones and see how far we get :p

People are free to believe what they want to make themselves feel better about their purchases but that doesn't really change reality. ;)

Don’t worry about it I won’t bother coming in here the. Tara

you just haven't looked properly then and subjective opinion.

How about we try objective ones and see how far we get :p

People are free to believe what they want to make themselves feel better about their purchases but that doesn't really change reality. ;)
I don’t believe I’ve ever compared the Nikon to the Sony, all I’ve said is the 24-70mm S is one of the sharpest short zooms I’ve ever had.

I just can’t listen to his crap anymore!

And you dont talk crap jesus christ i bared what you moan about your AF and keep swapping sony gear for same gear ha ha ha Ignoring you now pal

And you dont talk crap jesus christ i bared what you moan about your AF and keep swapping sony gear for same gear ha ha ha Ignoring you now pal

:LOL: You have made my day!!! Maybe I should quote all the PMs you have sent me... PAL.

I haven't read all his posts. I only caught the last part about 24-70mm/4 which objectively wasn't really accurate.

Otherwise I find him mostly inoffensive and nice as far as forums go.

I can only speak from my experience I have had both the sony and the nikon and the nikon 24-70 is far better than the sony ive had. But each to their owns i suppose but I dont come on here and argue with people.. I just speak of my experience..

If people block me for me being honest then that up to them I dont care..

I dont get offensive to people like you said only when people start at me.

Anyway leave it at that.. I be in the Z thread most of the time now...

Of course people that are happy with the Z_6 and Z_7 should always remember they have Sony to thank for pushing Nikon to even try to compete.

Good point, for me the terrible EVF is the main thing that would be relevant to Morgan. He really should try it and compare to others models to see how bad it is. He may be ok with it but I’d still recommend the A9 based on current prices. There are other things but I won’t list them as they are things I find annoying and not good enough but others may be ok with.

I don’t think the EVF is terrible, it’s just not as good as the A9 etc. Never had any viewing issues.

But you are right on saying that the A9 at its current grey price is superb. I’m not sure there is anything out there that comes close for the money.

Just on evf's.

Do people go into the menu and adjust them for best effect or not bother?

PS.
I've just checked mine and the brightness was on+1. I don't remember selecting that so I put it back to zero :D I'll have another look in daylight tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back