The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A Nikon Z9 with a fast 24-70mm and a decent prime and I might switch & scale down.
They should really implement their 3D AF system to really compete with Sony. :)

A Nikon Z9 with a fast 24-70mm and a decent prime and I might switch & scale down.
They should really implement their 3D AF system to really compete with Sony. :)
I’ve always found single point AF-C better than 3D tracking for the stuff I tried it with tbh, 3D tracking never stayed on faces.

The new Sony bodies have z like ergonomic now. So if true that's another reason to chalk off the board as a negative of the Sony

I’ve always found single point AF-C better than 3D tracking for the stuff I tried it with tbh, 3D tracking never stayed on faces.
Single point is crap for tracking imo. You need one that is a mixture of single point and 3d. Don't nikon have one where you have a single point and if you aim it at a subject it locks on and the tracks across the screen?

The new Sony bodies have z like ergonomic now. So if true that's another reason to chalk off the board as a negative of the Sony
Haven't used it so I'll reserve my judgement till I do.
But no touchscreen means still not as easy to use.

Really????
Single point is crap for tracking imo. You need one that is a mixture of single point and 3d. Don't nikon have one where you have a single point and if you aim it at a subject it locks on and the tracks across the screen?
Why is single point crap? Works well for me, never had any difficulty nailing the shot.

R4 grip is deeper than the 3rd gen bodies
Yeah just had a look on camerasize , also looks further away from the lens mount too which is good. I’d have to try one before I can make a direct comparison though, but certainly looks better.

Yeah just had a look on camerasize , also looks further away from the lens mount too which is good. I’d have to try one before I can make a direct comparison though, but certainly looks better.
Is it just the ergonomics you don't like on the Sony's or some more stuff?

One reviewer has said with the AF of Mirrorless cameras - ie better focus spread and Face Detect & Eye Detect etc that their keep rate went from 50% to 90%. What has everybody found on here with regards spontaneous shooting. I find with my combination, all too often AF just doesn’t function in spontaneous circumstances resulting in pumping of the AF/ON button. Or not being able to get the focus spot in the right place at the right time fast enough. Having picked up a demo Sony A7III and a Canon EOSR I was astounded how quickly and positively they were able to lock on

Last edited:
It's crap for tracking. You need single point lock on mode and I asked you if nikon has that af mode?

How is single point or zone crap? You manually control where the camera focuses and don't let the camera decide and get fooled, thats not crap... thats knowing exactly where you are focusing.

How is single point or zone crap? You manually control where the camera focuses and don't let the camera decide and get fooled, thats not crap... thats knowing exactly where you are focusing.
You cant easily follow a fast moving erratic subject moving the single point af yourself lol!

One reviewer has said with the AF of Mirrorless cameras - ie better focus spread and Face Detect & Eye Detect etc that their keep rate went from 50% to 90%. What has everybody found on here with regards spontaneous shooting. I find with my combination, all too often AF just doesn’t function in spontaneous circumstances resulting in pumping of the AF/ON button. Or not being able to get the focus spot in the right place at the right time fast enough. Having picked up a demo Sony A7III and a Canon EOSR I was astounded how quickly and positively they were able to lock on

I'd say my in-focus hit rate is a bit higher now, though the Sony took a little getting used to (not sure why). Going through the pictures I took on holiday, very few are OOF - most of the time I still use centre single point because the scenes didn't warrant letting the camera choose the target.

You cant easily follow a fast moving erratic subject moving the single point af yourself lol!
Very true!! I’m not a fan of the Auto AF mode on Nikon as the feedback you get through the OVF of where the focus spot is being placed is not accurate / reassuring. You never know if you are getting properly focussed shots until you review your photos.

It's crap for tracking. You need single point lock on mode and I asked you if nikon has that af mode?
No, I stated that I prefer to use single point with AF-C as I’ve always found it the most accurate as the point is always where I want it. Nikon has various tracking modes yes, although for some reason they have omitted 3D tracking in their mirrorless.
Is it just the ergonomics you don't like on the Sony's or some more stuff?
Was mainly ergonomics in terms of grip, but there’s also button placement and colour science.
Who can’t?

No, I stated that I prefer to use single point with AF-C as I’ve always found it the most accurate as the point is always where I want it. Nikon has various tracking modes yes, although for some reason they have omitted 3D tracking in their mirrorless.
Was mainly ergonomics in terms of grip, but there’s also button placement and colour science.
Who can’t?
I doubt the point is always where you want it with an erratic subject. You simply can't move a single af point faster then one that locks on and sticks with your subject across the entire frame.

I doubt the point is always where you want it with an erratic subject. You simply can't move a single af point faster then one that locks on and sticks with your subject across the entire frame.
I don’t know about the Z range but trying to get the focus spot where you want it on the D750 using the buttons is pants!! Is there no way to make the movement faster?

Last edited:
I am in no hurry on Tuesday when my A7RIV arrives that will take me up to 6 Sony bodies.
I’m very tempted to move across to the Sony A7III following your suggestion some time back

I move the camera not the AF point.
I don’t know about the Z range but trying to get the focus spot where you want it on the D750 using the buttons is pants!! Is there no way to make the movement faster?
Touchscreen in the Z’s? Otherwise it’s using the pad or joystick like any other camera. Actually, I think you might be able to set the control dials to move AF points. You can choose not to have so many points selectable therefore making it quicker.

I move the camera not the AF point.

I’m assuming your composition is accomplished via cropping in PP and you take photos plenty zoomed out. I’d prefer to compose in camera and worry less about positioning focus spots when taking action or spontaneous shots

I’m assuming your composition is accomplished via cropping in PP and you take photos plenty zoomed out. I’d prefer to compose in camera and worry less about positioning focus spots when taking action or spontaneous shots
Depends what I’m shooting, but I position the AF point where I want the subject in the frame and then just follow it so no need to crop.

I agree.

I am still very much a Nikon fan boy when they have a camera that suits me I will jump ship.

Me to probably, I'd be using a Z now if it had 2 card slots and a full native lens line up but I the next gen is some way off.

I still rate the D850 as one of the best cameras made and I still like it but for the stuff I do now (a lot of mountain hiking etc) the weight saving from the mirrorless is a must. Last week I did snowdon twice, A7RIV 16-35 2.8, 24-105 and 70-200 + various accessories, tripod and weight was not an issue, even if minimal the same kit on my D850 feels much heavier. That's why for I started using the X-T3 more but taking 2 full systems on trips was a pain and guaranteed I'd leave something in another bag that I'd need.

I didn’t like using the previous Sony bodies, the R4 is much better from size/grip to buttons, after using the R4 for past couple of months is why I’m getting the A9ii, it’s not much of an upgrade spec wise from A9 but I decided it was worth it for me.

I can follow my subject easily, I don’t need to move the point in the frame to capture at the time I follow a subject, as Snerks said, you move the camera to track in the frame. I would like to see you get an eye or specific small part of a subject in focus while it’s moving using auto or lock on without eye af using a 1.4 lens wide open.

Last edited:
Haven't touched my camera for a few weeks, so went for a little walk earlier, bear hunting..

48931916061_677c99664b_b.jpg

48931375093_41d9226d96_b.jpg

Haven't touched my camera for a few weeks, so went for a little walk earlier, bear hunting..

48931916061_677c99664b_b.jpg

48931375093_41d9226d96_b.jpg
Very nice? What lens is that, renders very nice (probably asked you before but my memory is shocking ;))

You can set it to only use the 11 cross type points.

I can follow my subject easily, I don’t need to move the point in the frame to capture at the time I follow a subject, as Snerks said, you move the camera to track in the frame. I would like to see you get an eye or specific small part of a subject in focus while it’s moving using auto or lock on without eye af using a 1.4 lens wide open.
Why would I use it without eye af if I am tracking a human being lol.

And yes I have tracked locked on with my a9 perfectly. It's way faster then moving the camera around trying to keep up with a small area af point

Why would I use it without eye af if I am tracking a human being lol.

And yes I have tracked locked on with my a9 perfectly. It's way faster then moving the camera around trying to keep up with a small area af point
You've obviously found a technique that works for you which is great. However, just because people don't use the same technique you do it doesn't mean it's wrong, doesn't work or even inferior (y)

You've obviously found a technique that works for you which is great. However, just because people don't use the same technique you do it doesn't mean it's wrong, doesn't work or even inferior (y)
True but I can't see how lock on af is slower then manually moving the camera.

Well, if people using the same camera can't get it to work as someone else using the same camera....since the equipment is equal then the flaw is in the user...its simple power of reduction.

True but I can't see how lock on af is slower then manually moving the camera.
I think you're missing the point. I choose the composition I want before the shot therefore have the AF in the correct place, all I have to do then is follow the subject with the camera, and yes you can move the camera pretty damn quick. I can move the camera fast enough to follow BIF, F1 cars doing 200+mph or whatever ;) The trouble with tracking AF is that you're not guaranteed the composition, ie if you have the camera static (or reasonably static) and let the AF point wander across the frame you're not in charge of composition anymore.
Well, if people using the same camera can't get it to work as someone else using the same camera....since the equipment is equal then the flaw is in the user...its simple power of reduction.
Why does one person preferring a different method make you automatically assume they can't get the other to work?

Back