The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’ve still got a pair of B&W P5 wired headphones.... cost me £212 at the time and they are worth every penny. :)
B&O are still good but not cutting edge like the once used to be.
Bose are very similar in that regard.

Can’t grumble at a freebie though!

There's a review here...

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/minolta-mc-rokkor-11-7-55mm-review/

IMO the earlier MC lenses give a more characterful look and are more susceptible to flare. The later 50mm f1.7 MD's IMO have better coatings, are less susceptible to flare and give a more modern and less characterful look.

Thanks for the link (great resource!). The one I've ordered is an MC+E-mount and it will arrive later this week. If the 'character' is a bit overbearing, I'll think about trying the MD. Although I will get a simple modern E-mount kit-style zoom as a general-purpose lens, and I suppose that would have little character in comparison.

It's a really nice lens as you can see by the example pictures plus I love the build, it's just about perfect. One thing which might be worth thinking about is a lens hood then you've got the option of maybe avoiding or deciding to embrace the flare :D I use cheap evil bay metal ones with vents. Like this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Qua...986826?hash=item1f003d0b8a:g:7jIAAOSwt8NdXVtC

If you do go for a hood just check it's the right size first. I think the 55mm MC is 52mm thread but best check.

I have a very similar 35mm f2.8 MC too.

PS.
This 55mm f1.7 was the lens that got me into using old lenses on mirrorless cameras. One picture taken with my Panasonic G1 got me hooked as I just love pictures taken with these lenses look.

Hope you'll post pictures and say what you think :D

Last edited:
It looks like an A7II and the lens is a zoom. Beyond that I hope he didn't grab daddies camera when daddie wasn't looking.

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is to be announced on the 6th of November and is expected to be coming early next year according to the rumour site with more zooms to follow.

Last edited:
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is to be announced on the 6th of November and is expected to be coming early next year according to the rumour site with more zooms to follow.

Ooooooooooooooh, I might get that instead of the Tamron 28-70.

I was only thinking today where is the Sigma Art 24-70 Zoom?!

Ooooooooooooooh, I might get that instead of the Tamron 28-70.

I was only thinking today where is the Sigma Art 24-70 Zoom?!

The Tamron is decent enough for the money.

The Sigma will likely be big, heavy and expensive.

For a lens that is just a back up, I will stick with the light weight Tamron.

The Tamron is decent enough for the money.

The Sigma will likely be big, heavy and expensive.

For a lens that is just a back up, I will stick with the light weight Tamron.
I'd expect the same people who bought the 24-70GM would be interested in this, and that's a different set to those with the Tammy.

I'd expect the same people who bought the 24-70GM would be interested in this, and that's a different set to those with the Tammy.

Is there many people who use a 24-70 regularly any more? It’s a bit of a meh lens, guess it’s still handy for some.

Is there many people who use a 24-70 regularly any more? It’s a bit of a meh lens, guess it’s still handy for some.

I thought a 24-70mm f2.8 was pretty much a standard lens for wedding shooters and general hobbyists?

It'll be interesting to see how big these lenses are and how they compare to the previous built in adapter Sigma lenses.

I thought a 24-70mm f2.8 was pretty much a standard lens for wedding shooters and general hobbyists?

It'll be interesting to see how big these lenses are and how they compare to the previous built in adapter Sigma lenses.

Years ago maybe, I know loads of wedding photographers, I only know one that regularly uses a 24-70.

There are those who prefer zooms to primes, it's hard to believe I know but I think there are and if there are they probably think that the holy trinity is 16-35mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8, or something like that.

I don't know how many they sell but pretty much every manufacturer has a line up of f2.8's like that, a wide, a "standard" and a tele, even to this very day. It was certainly true in Canikon DSLR land and Sony certainly have a similar thing today for the A7x. Of the three maybe the 24-70mm f2.8 is the best seller?

From what I’ve seen it’s 50/50 for wedding togs between 24-70 and primes.

There are those who prefer zooms to primes, it's hard to believe I know but I think there are and if there are they probably think that the holy trinity is 16-35mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8, or something like that.

I don't know how many they sell but pretty much every manufacturer has a line up of f2.8's like that, a wide, a "standard" and a tele, even to this very day. It was certainly true in Canikon DSLR land and Sony certainly have a similar thing today for the A7x. Of the three maybe the 24-70mm f2.8 is the best seller?
I generally prefer zooms because I don’t often go out to shoot one thing and like the flexibility. If I’m shooting something specific I often choose prime to save weight. I find it a bit of a hassle changing lenses ‘out in the field’.

From what I’ve seen it’s 50/50 for wedding togs between 24-70 and primes.

Now people have got me thinking as well as a holy trinity f2.8 range there's usually a parallel council house f4 range. I don't follow zooms much but I wonder if Canikon and maybe Sony too have a f4 range very similar to the f2.8 range but smaller, lighter and cheaper :D

The only time I've come close to owning any of these is the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 I have giving an equivalent focal range of 24-70mm. It's a good general purpose zoom lens which I suppose is why just about everyone makes one :D

I generally prefer zooms because I don’t often go out to shoot one thing and like the flexibility. If I’m shooting something specific I often choose prime to save weight. I find it a bit of a hassle changing lenses ‘out in the field’.

I used to have a bag full of zooms, well... I had a few.... but these days I prefer smaller and lighter and more inconspicuous and so primes it is most of the time.

After going back and forth I have decided I prefer certain lenses than lens types i.e. zoom or primes. A mixture works very well overall don't think I'd be happy with only primes or with only zooms.

Now people have got me thinking as well as a holy trinity f2.8 range there's usually a parallel council house f4 range. I don't follow zooms much but I wonder if Canikon and maybe Sony too have a f4 range very similar to the f2.8 range but smaller, lighter and cheaper :D

The only time I've come close to owning any of these is the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 I have giving an equivalent focal range of 24-70mm. It's a good general purpose zoom lens which I suppose is why just about everyone makes one :D
Sony have the ‘council house’ (ridiculous calling them that considering these zooms are often high hundreds or over £1k) trinity of 16-35 f4, 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4. Nikon have similar but it’s a 24-120 f4. Sony’s 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 are G lenses so the next step down from the GM f2.8s.

After going back and forth I have decided I prefer certain lenses than lens types i.e. zoom or primes. A mixture works very well overall don't think I'd be happy with only primes or with only zooms.

To be honest I could live with a standard zoom and a wide aperture prime.

I’m glad that 200-600 is sold in the classifieds! I’m pretty happy with the 100-400 but was still tempted even though the weight saving and closed space saving size is what I love about the 100-400. I don’t think I could justify both.

Sony have the ‘council house’ (ridiculous calling them that considering these zooms are often high hundreds or over £1k) trinity of 16-35 f4, 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4. Nikon have similar but it’s a 24-120 f4. Sony’s 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 are G lenses so the next step down from the GM f2.8s.

I say "council house" as it's become a sort of thread insult / joke thing... that's all. Actually I think it's a badge of honour rather than an insult :D

As to the ranges, I know :D I was just having fun :D

Back