The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Also there is Sony FE 16-35 f4, and also 16-35 f2.8 but for A-mount, i don't know how those lenses perform compared to Canon/Nikon/Tamron ones.

Also there is Sony FE 16-35 f4, and also 16-35 f2.8 but for A-mount, i don't know how those lenses perform compared to Canon/Nikon/Tamron ones.
That Sony FE mount is not that good compared to the tamron and the samyang ones I mentioned. Leaning more towards the samyang as it's lighter than the tamron

I am happy with my Samyang, but, it is a prime lens, almost prime lenses are sharp by itself, but i am talking about a zoom lens that is UWA, and i prefer my TS-E 17 much much more than my Samyang 14.

That Sony FE mount is not that good compared to the tamron and the samyang ones I mentioned. Leaning more towards the samyang as it's lighter than the tamron

Please don't tell me you're comparing a UWA prime with a 16-35 zoom. A zoom will never be as good as a prime - but as far as zooms go, the FE 16-35 is considered to be one of the best in it's category (Better than the Leica WATE, even)

Lenses reviewed:
Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-W 21mm f/3.5
Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f/1.8 ASPH
Sony Zeiss Vario Tessar FE 4/16-35mm ZA OSS
Leica Wide Angle Tri Elmar (WATE) 16-21mm f/4 ASPH
Leica Super Elmar 21mm f/3.4 ASPH

Conclusion :

At open aperture, the Sony/Zeiss FE 16-35 beats all other lenses and at 16mm it performs best. It delivers high and consistent performance across the whole focal length range only getting a bit weaker at the long end (35mm). It has the least vignetting and the good results at open aperture together with the optical stabilization make it a winner also for videos at low light.

Please don't tell me you're comparing a UWA prime with a 16-35 zoom. A zoom will never be as good as a prime - but as far as zooms go, the FE 16-35 is considered to be one of the best in it's category (Better than the Leica WATE, even)
Umm no. There are some zooms that are as good if not better than primes such as the legendary 70-200 canon l lens or the 24-70 L lens.

Also the Sony zoom is not good compared to other similar zoom lenses.

Well my a7rii arrived today. Unfortunately my Mrs was out and ups will now not redeliver it until Monday. Not impressed with that. Can't even collect it tomorrow.
Pulled the trigger on the Sony 16-35 f4 also.

Err hate to break it to you. Change the camera on the nikkor to an equivalent sensor of d800e and you're looking at 31!! I'd also bet if you could put the Sony lens onto a 24mp sensor itd rate nearer 19-20.

Well my a7rii arrived today. Unfortunately my Mrs was out and ups will now not redeliver it until Monday. Not impressed with that. Can't even collect it tomorrow.
Pulled the trigger on the Sony 16-35 f4 also.
If it's any consolation, mine arrived today and I absolutely love it. So glad it arrived today, I'd hate to be without one on a fine day like this. ;)

More seriously, from the big things like this IBIS to the smaller things like the auto shutter speed tweaking it really does just feel like everything is better all round. As obvious as it is from the model number, it seems a very solid version 2. Better stills, better video, better ergonomics, better viewfinder, and a bunch of new features. The only slight negative is the lock on the mode dial. Not that it's bad, I just don't think I ever managed to ove the dial on my A7 without meaning to, so it seems a little pointless. Real world use over the next few weeks might change things, but for now I couldn't be happier.

I also came into ownership of a bunch of old Konica lenses today - all equivalents of Sony lenses I already own (28 f2, 50 f1.4, 70-200 f4, and 35-70mm) so there'll be a few head-to-heads to see if any are worth keeping. Even without AF, they will at least all be stabilised now.

If it's any consolation, mine arrived today and I absolutely love it. So glad it arrived today, I'd hate to be without one on a fine day like this. ;)

More seriously, from the big things like this IBIS to the smaller things like the auto shutter speed tweaking it really does just feel like everything is better all round. As obvious as it is from the model number, it seems a very solid version 2. Better stills, better video, better ergonomics, better viewfinder, and a bunch of new features. The only slight negative is the lock on the mode dial. Not that it's bad, I just don't think I ever managed to ove the dial on my A7 without meaning to, so it seems a little pointless. Real world use over the next few weeks might change things, but for now I couldn't be happier.

I also came into ownership of a bunch of old Konica lenses today - all equivalents of Sony lenses I already own (28 f2, 50 f1.4, 70-200 f4, and 35-70mm) so there'll be a few head-to-heads to see if any are worth keeping. Even without AF, they will at least all be stabilised now.

If they are M hexanons you're onto winners!

Oh yes. Now I feel a lot better

If they are M hexanons you're onto winners!
They're all AR mount. While the 35-70 and 50/1.4 are hexanons, the 28/2 is actually a vivitar and the 70-200/4 is a Tamron adaptall. I guess the 35-70 will just about cover its ebay fees to sell, I'm hoping the other 3 will offer some unique characteristic to make them worth keeping around. I'll probably keep the adaptall anyway just because it's such a silly idea.

Glad I could help. :) Can't you pick it up from the depot instead of waiting until Monday?

Tried that and I can only collect from Monday. And it's not even in the same town as mine. Am wfh Tuesday so will need to wait until then.
All of a sudden Royal Mail look amazing.

They're all AR mount. While the 35-70 and 50/1.4 are hexanons, the 28/2 is actually a vivitar and the 70-200/4 is a Tamron adaptall. I guess the 35-70 will just about cover its ebay fees to sell, I'm hoping the other 3 will offer some unique characteristic to make them worth keeping around. I'll probably keep the adaptall anyway just because it's such a silly idea.

The Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210/3.8-4 is an excellent lens, if that's what you have :) The Vivitar is a bit naff wide open, but OK stopped down. Nice cool colours to it. The 50/1.4 will be as decent as any other 50/1.4 of the era.

Tried that and I can only collect from Monday. And it's not even in the same town as mine. Am wfh Tuesday so will need to wait until then.
All of a sudden Royal Mail look amazing.

They're not, they were 1 day late on my RMSD "Guaranteed by 1pm" delivery this week!

Err hate to break it to you. Change the camera on the nikkor to an equivalent sensor of d800e and you're looking at 31!! I'd also bet if you could put the Sony lens onto a 24mp sensor itd rate nearer 19-20.
Err.. happy to tell you that I don't give a flying... At this level we're just splitting hairs and as I keep telling you, the info and kit is out there and we can all make our own minds up.

I nearly bought the 16-35mm this week but went with a MFT option instead. The ultimate quality may not be there with MFT but having a wide on MFT and a nice prime on my A7 might be nice and they'll both fit in an old camcorder bag I have with no need to swap lenses when out.

Last edited:
I never said it's a poor lens, just an inaccurate comparison. Looks a nice bit of glass to me, doesn't have to be the best.
At least if it was the best and unarguably so it'd stop your whinging for a few minutes... maybe not though :D

fyi i think u can adapt m43 lenses to e mount, so u could eak some extra wideness thT WAY, and black circleness ;)

The Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210/3.8-4 is an excellent lens, if that's what you have :) The Vivitar is a bit naff wide open, but OK stopped down. Nice cool colours to it. The 50/1.4 will be as decent as any other 50/1.4 of the era.
That's the one yes, I just tend to mentally round the numbers. Even if they end up bringing nothing to the A7 party, I do at least have a film SLR to go with them if I want a change of pace.

That's the one yes, I just tend to mentally round the numbers. Even if they end up bringing nothing to the A7 party, I do at least have a film SLR to go with them if I want a change of pace.

The Tamron is decent, I've used it on Canon full frame :)

Umm no. There are some zooms that are as good if not better than primes such as the legendary 70-200 canon l lens or the 24-70 L lens.

Also the Sony zoom is not good compared to other similar zoom lenses.

They're exceptions to the rule, most would not pick a zoom over a prime when looking for ultimate IQ. You can't beat physics, unfortunately. If you're gonna deny that, you truly are a troll.

They're exceptions to the rule, most would not pick a zoom over a prime when looking for ultimate IQ. You can't beat physics, unfortunately. If you're gonna deny that, you truly are a troll.

Agreed, the best zooms are better than some primes but the best primes are unbeatable at their respective lengths.

Just for info I owned the canon 70-200 f2.8 both IS on no IS plus the f4 IS and non IS the only one that stood out was the f4 non IS. I also had a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Sony A mount in my opinion it was faster and more in focus than the Canon except my non IS f4

Just for info I owned the canon 70-200 f2.8 both IS on no IS plus the f4 IS and non IS the only one that stood out was the f4 non IS. I also had a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Sony A mount in my opinion it was faster and more in focus than the Canon except my non IS f4

I didn't have that luck as you to test all those Canon 24-700 versions, but i had 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1 before and it was great in the beginning until it started to become softer within years, but i was lucky enough to sell it and bought mkii and never look back, and this lens surpass both f4 non IS you like and also the Tamron one, the best 70-200 in the market i think.

I didn't have that luck as you to test all those Canon 24-700 versions, but i had 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1 before and it was great in the beginning until it started to become softer within years, but i was lucky enough to sell it and bought mkii and never look back, and this lens surpass both f4 non IS you like and also the Tamron one, the best 70-200 in the market i think.
Yes many said the mk2 was better though it came out near the end of my Canon days so never really considered buying one

hi, anyone here advice me on lenses with longer reach for the A7RII ....was thinking the tamron 150 - 600 a-mount with the la-ae3 adapter ? though reading reviews the sigma version is but that's only in nikon/canon mounts ...and from what ive read the metabones canon iv adapter fails to auto focus on anything above 300mm??? (though there is a new firmware version out???) cheers...

hi, anyone here advice me on lenses with longer reach for the A7RII ....was thinking the tamron 150 - 600 a-mount with the la-ae3 adapter ? though reading reviews the sigma version is but that's only in nikon/canon mounts ...and from what ive read the metabones canon iv adapter fails to auto focus on anything above 300mm??? (though there is a new firmware version out???) cheers...

70-200mm f4 fe. Then crop?

Back