The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Can anyone recommend cheap flash receivers for using off camera flash. I picked up some real cheap ones that did a fine job on my Nikon.
For manual OCF, I've never had any problem with my Yongnuo 603's. The first generation were brand-specific, but the 603II's are generic and work fine on an A7.

Works well with both speedlights and studio flashes and are available on amazon and ebay for about £10 each. The newer Yongnuo speedlights even have a radio receiver built in so you just need the transmitter on the camera and it will communicate directly with the flash itself.

So, compressed v uncompressed... it doesn't matter... or does it...
:D
That's what I've concluded after a bit of testing. Sure one time in a thousand it will help a little bit but the other 99.9% of the time it's not worth the storage and speed penalty.

I think that's what Sony decided when they went for compression in the first instance... but blokes on the internet know better :D and when shooting traffic lights at midnight and boosting +5 they're right :D

I'll download the update when it becomes available for my A7 but I may not use it too much.

I can't say what they were thinking but recent Sony cameras aren't exactly flops so they must be getting something right.

The compressed raw issue was always going to be a stick for pixel peepers and +5 pushers to beat them with but at least that issue is going away now and people can shift their attention to there no lenses at all, expensive toy bodies, tiny TV sets instead of OVF's, non functioning AF systems and batteries that only give 12 shots.

I like to take a wider view and as one of my previous things was auditing I'll give a little example from those days... there may be holes and weaknesses in the system but does it still work? The answer for me is a resounding "yes" and so much so that it's the best system out there for me at any price based on my performance / portability / quality needs. For me nothing else matches it let alone betters it. Leica may at some point with their new system in partnership with Panasonic but we'll have to wait and see and it wont be for years anyway as they're at the start, Sony is years in now.

What I'd invite the serial knockers and whingers to do is to take a look at the system and decide if it's for them or not and if it isn't don't come here and whinge about the same old issues every few pages, just move on to something that suits your needs more and maybe just come here and whinge once a product generation or so if your critisisms aren't addressed. Simples.

Last edited:
What I'd invite the serial knockers and whingers to do is to take a look at the system and decide if it's for them or not and if it isn't don't come here and whinge about the same old issues every few pages, just move on to something that suits your needs more and maybe just come here and whinge once a product generation or so if your criticisms aren't addressed. Simples.

Well said!

Lensrental tests Sony lenses...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/sony-e-mount-lens-sharpness-bench-tests

For those who would rather not wade through the whole thing this is The End bit...

"So What Can We Take Away Today?
Mostly we are just starting with FE lens testing. Over the next few weeks, we should get a good handle on how the Sony lenses compare to each other.

I think there's no question we've seen support for what a lot of people are claiming: the 35mm f/1.4 ZA lens is very likely to have some tilt with one corner or side out of the plane of focus. Depending on what you photograph this may make no difference to you, or may be a huge issue. But I doubt sending copy after copy back is going to make much difference (you may trade a soft right upper corner for a slightly soft left side, etc.). We've taken a couple of these apart and there's not a ton of optical adjustments that can be made: there are a set of shims behind the front group that can be modified a bit, but it's a crude and very time-consuming adjustment, so I don't think it's generally going to be something that can be fixed.

The 55mm f/1.8 is really a good lens, very sharp and consistently made. The 90 mm f/2.8 is a decent lens, reasonably sharp, but there seems to be a fair bit of copy-to-copy variation in overall sharpness.

All that being said, these lenses may look better on-camera than on the optical bench because there seems to be at least some modification of files as the raw is written. We'll get a better handle on that as we test more lenses. And let me emphasize, the only clear evidence we see for that is with distortion correction. There may be nothing more than that going on."

I'm a bit disappointed with the 35mm f1.4's showing but to be honest I can't see myself buying this lens anyway as I like a more compact set up. Looking on the bright side though 35mm f1.4 owners may have to look closely into the corners to see any real world issues.

Anyway, it's there to be read.

I'd invite the hypocrites to stop preaching.

On a side note.... @paulcamcas Did you ever find a 55?

I rarely preach and try not to be a hypocrite. Although I do have a bit of a love hate relationship with kit as I am rather critical I don't tend to post negatively and repeatedly and instead try to take a more balanced approach, although a rant is good for us all now and again. See my love / hate comments in the Panasonic owners thread.

I'd invite the knockers and whingers to take a more balanced view or at least change the record now and again.

I rarely preach and try not to be a hypocrite. Although I do have a bit of a love hate relationship with kit as I am rather critical I don't tend to post negatively and repeatedly and instead try to take a more balanced approach, although a rant is good for us all now and again. See my love / hate comments in the Panasonic owners thread.

I'd invite the knockers and whingers to take a more balanced view or at least change the record now and again.

Heres some balance, I do like all the cameras Ive used (incl my love / hate A7 which atm is more love than hate because Ive learnt to work within its limits instead of expecting to much), some are better than others as a complete package but they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

.... ideally my D750 needs to make love to a A7rii and that lovechild may be the best thing ever.... at least for a few months.

Last edited:
Now Available! The Complete Guide to Sony’s Alpha A7r II by Gary L. Friedman!

Can anyone comment on the hype promoted by this Authors books please? http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/now-available-the-complete-guide-to-sonys-alpha-a7r-ii-by-gary-l-friedman/

I bought the Brian Smith book "Sony A7 Series (From snapshots to Great Shots)" mainly because the A7RM2 menu system as explained in the Sony manuals was totally perfunctory to say the least. At least Smith's book helped with the menus but not much else as it was effectively a book covering the A7 series generically with a few inserts which related to the A7RM2 but far too A7 series generic TBH.
Now I see Friedman's book "apparently" entitled explicitly aimed at the Sony A7r II.

Does anyone have experience of this guy's stuff (i.e Friedman, G.L.), as once bitten (Smith, B), twice shy ???
TIA

Now Available! The Complete Guide to Sony’s Alpha A7r II by Gary L. Friedman!

Can anyone comment on the hype promoted by this Authors books please? http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/now-available-the-complete-guide-to-sonys-alpha-a7r-ii-by-gary-l-friedman/

I bought the Brian Smith book "Sony A7 Series (From snapshots to Great Shots)" mainly because the A7RM2 menu system as explained in the Sony manuals was totally perfunctory to say the least. At least Smith's book helped with the menus but not much else as it was effectively a book covering the A7 series generically with a few inserts which related to the A7RM2 but far too A7 series generic TBH.
Now I see Friedman's book "apparently" entitled explicitly aimed at the Sony A7r II.

Does anyone have experience of this guy's stuff (i.e Friedman, G.L.), as once bitten (Smith, B), twice shy ???
TIA

I had a Friedman guide for an A700 a few years back which was really good.

Thanks Chris appreciate the input. I'm getting on fine with the A7RM2 I just want to make sure I squeeze the best out of what I do now and learn more about what I've not yet explored (esp. Video which is a whole new but interesting ball game).
I realise there is a couple of weeks 'approval' on the ebook so shouldn't be worried, but I doubt I'd fork out for the Colour hardcopy :-(

The rumour site is reporting that there'll be 8 new FE lenses between now and spring. I do hope that's true and although the manual lenses are very nice I'm hoping for 8 native AF FE's.

Personally I'd like compact 35 and 85mm f1.8's and maybe a 135mm f2/2.8 but I suppose the system needs a better 24-70mm f4 and a range of f2.8 zooms.

What are you hoping for?

The rumour site is reporting that there'll be 8 new FE lenses between now and spring. I do hope that's true and although the manual lenses are very nice I'm hoping for 8 native AF FE's.

Personally I'd like compact 35 and 85mm f1.8's and maybe a 135mm f2/2.8 but I suppose the system needs a better 24-70mm f4 and a range of f2.8 zooms.

What are you hoping for?
There being an additional 8+ lenses announced in 2015 and available by early 2016 has been known for some time as Sony detailed that in an investors presentation back at the start of the year.

I think the system needs good cheap 50mm and 85mm primes, like the 28mm or cheaper. I would say a 35mm too but I think we've already got enough of those and the 28mm isn't too far off. A good quality 24-70 f2.8 for the pros, especially now they can save a bit of size and weight by not having the stabilisation. There's probably a fair amount of demand for a longer zoom too - something like a 70-400mm or a 200-400mm.

Personally all I want is a high quality longer portrait lens - 100/1.8 or a 135/2. Preferably corrected to get rid of the bokeh fringing you see with so many of the 135mm lenses. Maybe an 85mm f1.4 too if I'm being greedy (especially since Zeiss can't seem to produce enough of the Batis).

There being an additional 8+ lenses announced in 2015 and available by early 2016 has been known for some time as Sony detailed that in an investors presentation back at the start of the year

Yes... but it's getting closer and we may get to know the details... soon...

I would like to see some cheaper lenses, just plain Sony lenses.

The misses has said i can have a new lens before christmas and i cant decide, Samyang 14mm, or the Sony 16-35. I would also love the 55 f1.8 as well. At this points its more WANT than NEED, as the 24-70 is on the camera 99% of the time, the 35 only goes on when i want small or when i'm in a creative mood. More often than not i find myself loving the convenience of a zoom.

I would also love the 55 f1.8 as well.

I thought everyone had the 55mm :D Actually mine hasn't been on the camera since I got the 35mm f2.8. I'd love that lens to be f1.8 though.

The 24-70 covers the range so haven't felt the need for it. I only have the 35 because it allows me to stick the camera in my jacket pocket.

On a different note.... @paulcamcas Did you ever find a 55?

Yep. Just as good as the last one :)

On yet another different note, I've now sold everything but the Ricohs and the A7R and have zero inclination to change the A7R. Can't even raise any lust for the new Leica thing. I think I'm probably ill.

Last edited:
Yep. Just as good as the last one :)

On yet another different note, I've now sold everything but the Ricohs and have zero inclination to change the A7R. Can't even raise any lust for the new Leica thing. I think I'm probably ill.

It is a nice lens.

SL does nothing for me either.

Update: I put the book on hold and bought a Black Rapid RS-7 camera strap on e-bay instead - I used the Redemption Code "CUKFLASH" which gave me 20% off valid until 10pm tonight by the way! [Unless the offer reaches ebay's limit beforehand]

Minimum spent £20 with a max discount of £50

think ive read a fiedman book or two and thought it decent
these books are best for the wtf does that setting do,and the camera / manual being of no use as to what it actually does

interesting on the copy variation and poor corners on the 35mm, i think sony has had pretty poor quality control recently :(

Firmware 2 [Uncompressed RAW] now applied, so all present and correct Sir!
I doubt this will have any effect on my shooting, but at least it is now available.
GIVEN that I can [maybe] anticipate the circumstance whereby I am likely to be affected by this Artifactual phenomena I'll be OK but if not clearly I'm stuffed.
I for one won't be enabling the capture of 83.5MB images as default, and sod's law when I do realise that it would HAVE been effective, it will be too late.
Ah well hopefully it works for those who did have issues.

From what I've read it's an issue when pushing things to extremes and I probably wont be pushing exposures by +5 or maxing out the saturation and contrast sliders and then viewing at high magnification too often, if ever. I think the most extreme thing that I'm likely to do is heavy cropping which is something I do from time to time but even then I'll be viewing the results normally and I don't expect to see compression issues too often and lets face it, family and friends will never see an issue.

I'll still give uncompressed files a go though :D

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Last edited:
From what I've read it's an issue when pushing things to extremes and I probably wont be pushing exposures by +5 or maxing out the saturation and contrast sliders and then viewing at high magnification too often, if ever. I think the most extreme thing that I'm likely to do is heavy cropping which is something I do from time to time but even then I'll be viewing the results normally and I don't expect to see compression issues too often and lets face it, family and friends will never see an issue.

I'll still give uncompressed files a go though :D

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Well if you are really intent on getting more info on this "non-issue" for me then I'd be happy to oblige you.
However you would have to
A) Be explicit about the shot situation/parameters and
B) Suggest a vehicle I could use to share such large RAW s with the community?

Well if you are really intent on getting more info on this "non-issue" for me then I'd be happy to oblige you.
However you would have to
A) Be explicit about the shot situation/parameters and
B) Suggest a vehicle I could use to share such large RAW s with the community?

Not at all, I wouldn't dream of troubling you old chap.

As I said, I'll give it a go myself when and if the update become available for the A7 and decide what to do then.

I can see myself using it for pictures of my family and GF as a belt and braces approach as some pictures can never be retaken but for the usual and less important stuff I shoot mostly for myself the compressed files have been good enough to date and will no doubt continue to be so.

Last edited:
Hi i have a samyang 14mm wide angle f2.8 prime and when I try to focus using focus peaking. Everything seems to be in focus according to the cameras screen yet when I later review the pics. Some are not in focus.

then have to rely mainly on the distance scale focus ring on the lens to get accurate focus. I thought focusing on a super wide is mean to be easier?

I have focus peaking set to high

mediafire.com perhaps?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dr8yiob5danua7i/_DSC1787.ARW Uncompressed RAW
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q9xum8c8i3o3j6y/_DSC1788.ARW Compressed RAW
Here are the JPGs too..
http://www.mediafire.com/download/u240s224dwclkg0/_DSC1788.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5wyqcufmqjusy96/_DSC1787.JPG

All SOOC and pushing the min focus distance of the 28mm F2
Completely unscientific
I hope I've provided the links in an appropriate way for sharing. Let me know if any probs.

Hi i have a samyang 14mm wide angle f2.8 prime and when I try to focus using focus peaking. Everything seems to be in focus according to the cameras screen yet when I later review the pics. Some are not in focus.

then have to rely mainly on the distance scale focus ring on the lens to get accurate focus. I thought focusing on a super wide is mean to be easier?

I have focus peaking set to high

Change peaking to Medium. Do you not use focus magnification? Peaking never gets you a tack sharp image if you rely on it alone. I always punch in and fine tune.

Change peaking to Medium. Do you not use focus magnification? Peaking never gets you a tack sharp image if you rely on it alone. I always punch in and fine tune.

I quite agree. Peaking alone has never produced good results for me. Having to magnify the image ruins the photographic experience for me too, hence I think manual lenses are a pain with the current crop of EVFs available.I am interested to see how much of a difference the EVF in the new Leica makes..

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dr8yiob5danua7i/_DSC1787.ARW Uncompressed RAW
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q9xum8c8i3o3j6y/_DSC1788.ARW Compressed RAW
Here are the JPGs too..
http://www.mediafire.com/download/u240s224dwclkg0/_DSC1788.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5wyqcufmqjusy96/_DSC1787.JPG

All SOOC and pushing the min focus distance of the 28mm F2
Completely unscientific
I hope I've provided the links in an appropriate way for sharing. Let me know if any probs.

Thinking about it, the samples I shared were cr*p so I'll butt out of a discussion which only vaguely interests me :exit:

Peaking works well for me but you have to work with it. Use peaking at f8 and everything will be peaking and there'll be quite a bit of movement on the focus ring before anything changes and the result will be that a whole image might look ok but view at 100% and you may see that you've missed critical focus on your subject. Peak and shoot wide open or peak wide and then stop down and you should get good results that stand up to pixel peaking. It's worked well for me.

Back