The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If that happens I think it’ll be an incremental update like the A9II. The A7iii still stands up their with some of the best cameras around.
TBH there's not a lot to improve on. Better EVF, better grip (pretty much a given) and job done (y)

Anyone get the A9 (good condition) that was on the Camera Jungle website for £1575 (after 20% discount)?

I’d email them last night to ask for more info on condition and actual shutter actuations as their website info has very poor camera descriptions. They don’t have any condition grades that include shutter actuations. WEX on the other hand provide an up to figure in each description so you at least know what the worst case is (but they do state the actual shutter count). I found a bit about condition grades when trading in at Camera Jungle you should tell them if the value is within 10% of the rated shutter. If they are selling cameras at 90% of their life expectancy that worries me as a buyer. It turns out they can supply that info but only if you ask them (in the meantime someone else buys it). It seems daft having that info but not putting it on their website.

I know most are going to use the electronic shutter on the A9 more than the mechanical shutter but buying something based on a few photos with visible dings/scraps and a ‘good’ condition felt like it was too much of a risk, even though financially it could have meant I may have been able to keep the A7r3 alongside an A9 :(

Anyone get the A9 (good condition) that was on the Camera Jungle website for £1575 (after 20% discount)?

I’d email them last night to ask for more info on condition and actual shutter actuations as their website info has very poor camera descriptions. They don’t have any condition grades that include shutter actuations. WEX on the other hand provide an up to figure in each description so you at least know what the worst case is (but they do state the actual shutter count). I found a bit about condition grades when trading in at Camera Jungle you should tell them if the value is within 10% of the rated shutter. If they are selling cameras at 90% of their life expectancy that worries me as a buyer. It turns out they can supply that info but only if you ask them (in the meantime someone else buys it). It seems daft having that info but not putting it on their website.

I know most are going to use the electronic shutter on the A9 more than the mechanical shutter but buying something based on a few photos with visible dings/scraps and a ‘good’ condition felt like it was too much of a risk, even though financially it could have meant I may have been able to keep the A7r3 alongside an A9 :(

Just buy a new a9, they aren't much more... Mechanical shutter is rated for 500k, I doubt most get anywhere near 100k when they will mostly use ES.

Does the A7iii really need updating just yet!?

No but yes but no.

I haven't used either but the R and Z6 are both supposed to have a better EVF so that's an obvious box to tick and Sony has been keeping the body designs consistent between generations (don't laugh) so improving the ergonomics as they did for the A9II and R4 seems err... consistent.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's most of the changes, from a business perspective I would guess it's a good idea to refresh the model so they can get the RRP over what the A73 has dropped to and it's another bit of damage to the competition when they're still catching up to some parts of the A73 and Sony goes ahead and makes it an 'old' model. We can take advantage of it too, the A73 will get even cheaper and it's already pretty cheap.

You could have returned it if you weren't happy with it.

Just buy a new a9, they aren't much more... Mechanical shutter is rated for 500k, I doubt most get anywhere near 100k when they will mostly use ES.
They are around £600 more grey via e finite but new UK would have nearly been double that used version at camera jungle. £1600 used felt like too good that there must be a catch. Potentially being able to keep the A7r3 would be awesome. Going new means it would need to go to help fund the move.

I did consider the electronic shutter would probably be used more so the mechanical shutter rating may not be that much use when trying to work out the type of previous ownership. I didn’t know the A9’s are rated at 500,000. The photos showed it had a few dings, paint rubs and a small crack on the corner of the rear screen so I just didn’t know how hard a life it may have had. I don’t fancy buying something used that had a hard life.

You could have returned it if you weren't happy with it.
I did thing that but they say ‘14 days quibble free in unused condition’ and I would have needed to use it to get a shutter count. What worried me was this text in their FAQ for buying:

What if the shutter count of my used camera is high?
Digital SLRs shutters are guaranteed for an extensive level of use, so even a high count can still be within acceptable levels. If the shutter actuations are within 10% of the expected life span contact us prior to selling the camera, as it may affect the condition rating and whether we will accept the camera.

The fact they say it’s ‘guaranteed’ life expectancy and within 10% can be considered acceptable made me worry they would argue on a potential refund especially if I used it to get a shutter count.

Last edited:
They are around £600 more grey via e finite but new UK would have nearly been double that used version at camera jungle. £1600 used felt like too good that there must be a catch. Potentially being able to keep the A7r3 would be awesome. Going new means it would need to go to help fund the move.

I did consider the electronic shutter would probably be used more so the mechanical shutter rating may not be that much use when trying to work out the type of previous ownership. I didn’t know the A9’s are rated at 500,000. The photos showed it had a few dings, paint rubs and a small crack on the corner of the rear screen so I just didn’t know how hard a life it may have had. I don’t fancy buying something used that had a hard life.

I thought you said your 70200f4 was going and that would find the difference, not your r3?

@rob-nikon ...

if you are thinking of moving on your a7r3 give me a heads up first (y)

Yeah, coz then I might get one cheaper :)

Yeah. I have been partly tempted by one myself (really since it came out) None of the previous A7 models really appealed to me as an 'upgrade' personally. I have been thinking of a longer zoom though (70-200ish) so it's going to be one or the other if anything...... Probably the lens.

Yeah. I have been partly tempted by one myself (really since it came out) None of the previous A7 models really appealed to me as an 'upgrade' personally. I have been thinking of a longer zoom though (70-200ish) so it's going to be one or the other if anything...... Probably the lens.

Do you find you need better AF, Dr, battery life or high ISO? If not, then get the lens.

I'm happy with the A7ii I bought recently.
I'm likely to get a 200-600mm before an a7iii :)

Do you find you need better AF, Dr, battery life or high ISO? If not, then get the lens.

Cleaner ISO would be nice occasionally, but not often enough to warrant it I don't think. High ISO with astro is usually overcome with stacking which I do anyway.

Have to wait & see about the Tamron 70-180/2.8 I think....

Cleaner ISO would be nice occasionally, but not often enough to warrant it I don't think. High ISO with astro is usually overcome with stacking which I do anyway.

Have to wait & see about the Tamron 70-180/2.8 I think....

The Tamron looks cool, so small.

I thought you said your 70200f4 was going and that would find the difference, not your r3?
The 70-200 f4 has gone but still leaves a big £1.5k chunk to cover if grey or £2.3k if UK new. That amount would be hard to justify keeping the A7r3 too. The camera jungle price would have been easier to justify keeping both as the 70-200 f4 would have covered nearly half. The other half would have been the equivalent of a A6400 (which I’ve potentially considered as a remote wildlife camera for the future). The A7r3 would be much more useable as a second body with benefits that the A6400 can’t give.

It just trying to justify the extra cost as it’s by no means a cost neutral move.

The 70-200 f4 has gone but still leaves a big £1.5k chunk to cover if grey or £2.3k if UK new. That amount would be hard to justify keeping the A7r3 too. The camera jungle price would have been easier to justify keeping both as the 70-200 f4 would have covered nearly half. The other half would have been the equivalent of a A6400 (which I’ve potentially considered as a remote wildlife camera for the future). The A7r3 would be much more useable as a second body with benefits that the A6400 can’t give.

It just trying to justify the extra cost as it’s by no means a cost neutral move.

Do you currently use/require 2 bodies or would it be a luxury?

sell your current stuff ;)
you mythical camera that you plan on buying will cost more, if you have money for mythical stuff you surely have it for real stuff :p
As I’ve said before if it was something I desperately wanted then I would look at off loading my gear, but I don’t so if I did the swap then it would cost money as I’d likely swap again. Even to do the swap now I’d be worse off as I’d up with 4-5 less lenses than I have already.

70-200mm doesn't really appeal to me as the 200mm end doesn't seem to be long enough for anything. I've tried birds in the garden and squirrels in the park with my MFT 45-150mm and with birds especially the crops needed to be in the region of 70-100% to get the things anything like big enough in the frame. They're more use for more general stuff I suppose.

Back