The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yep, Sony 35mm f2.8, Samyang 24mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8, and Sony 28-70mm all on the way. 100-400mm, 16-35mm f4 and Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 will be ordered before long.

Not 100% sure the 28-70mm FL is something I'm going to use a lot as most landscapes will be with the 16-35mm so picked the Sony up cheap for now, plus it's light. If I find I use it quite a bit I'll look into the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at some point (y) I'll not lose much, if anything on the 28-70mm.

Nice, congrats (y)

Nice, congrats (y)
Another thing that swayed me on the 28-70mm is that on DXO mounted to the A7RII it scores fractionally sharper than the Nikon 18-35mm on the D800E and I've always though the 18-35mm is a sharp lens so I think the 28-70mm will give very satisfactory results, especially as it will be stopped down to f8-11.

Yep, Sony 35mm f2.8, Samyang 24mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8, and Sony 28-70mm all on the way. 100-400mm, 16-35mm f4 and Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 will be ordered before long.

Not 100% sure the 28-70mm FL is something I'm going to use a lot as most landscapes will be with the 16-35mm so picked the Sony up cheap for now, plus it's light. If I find I use it quite a bit I'll look into the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at some point (y) I'll not lose much, if anything on the 28-70mm.

You know camera centre on ebay got 20% off? Would save you £100 on those two Samyang lenses.

Last edited:

Going for the a7r4?

Well

done, you did it!
Quite a shopping list, looking forward to mine but it’s still to be done when my retirement funds arrive in May. It can’t come soon enough but hell time really drags when you’re excited!!

Last edited:

Be interested to hear what you think of the 45mm - tempted myself

Do you have a lens station - i'm not far away if you want to use it

90% GM, 2/3 the GM price and slightly more width - what's not to like.
I will be buying this new Sony 20 F1.8 to replace my current Sigma 24 F1.4 . I rarely use F1.4 and the wider angle will much more useful, and it‘s less than half the weight.

So, who's getting a 20mm f1.8?

I'll almost certainly get one as this is something I've wanted since I sold my Sigma 20mm f1.8.

After getting put off the Tamron 20mm having really bad distortion I have gone for the Samyang 18mm f/2.8 AF, seems pretty solid performance and so tiny and light it will be no trouble to carry along with me. (the cheaper than grey import from CameraCentreUK helped sway me too, £223 delivered with PAID20 code on eBay)

I might be there tomorrow if my Fuji X100V turns up :D
Would be nice to bump into you and put a face to the name (y)
Well

done, you did it!
Quite a shopping list, looking forward to mine but it’s still to be done when my retirement funds arrive in May. It can’t come soon enough but hell time really drags when you’re excited!!
IT'll be here before you know it (y)
@snerkler you chopping in both current systems or hedging your bets?
Chopping in everything and just having one system (y)
Be interested to hear what you think of the 45mm - tempted myself

Do you have a lens station - i'm not far away if you want to use it
Yes I've ordered one, but thanks for the kind offer. I keep forgetting who's where as there's quite a few people who are 'local', which neck of the woods are you from again?

Had a change of heart, think I’m going to get the Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 instead of the Sony 16-35mm f4 unless anyone knows of a reason not to?

Had a change of heart, think I’m going to get the Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 instead of the Sony 16-35mm f4 unless anyone knows of a reason not to?

It does look to have better image quality corner to corner and f/2.8 obvsiously, at the expense of reduced focal range. (People say the metal Sony lenses are better made but they always look like someone has played footy with them as the paint comes off so easily haha)

It does look to have better image quality corner to corner and f/2.8 obvsiously, at the expense of reduced focal range. (People say the metal Sony lenses are better made but they always look like someone has played footy with them as the paint comes off so easily haha)
It was the focal range that initially swayed me to the Sony, but at the end of the day it’s going on an insane resolution camera so have the luxury of cropping. I don’t mind plastic lenses as long as they don’t feel cheap (unless I’m paying very little ;))

Get the tamron, then you'll get the 2875 then the 70180 and trinity is complete. They all look the same in your bag.
That’s it then I’m sold :LOL:

It was the focal range that initially swayed me to the Sony, but at the end of the day it’s going on an insane resolution camera so have the luxury of cropping. I don’t mind plastic lenses as long as they don’t feel cheap (unless I’m paying very little ;))

Yeah, I have no complaints about my Tamron 28-75 2.8. In fact the lack of weight is nice, and it doesn't really feel cheap, just not 'premium' feeling.

I replaced my 16-35with the Tamron 17-28.

Am very happy with it. In my opinion it’s a much better lens the 16-35 f/4.

Worth noting that there was a bit of a whoo haa about the Tamron locking up when the camera came out of stand by. My copy didn’t have this issue and there was a firmware update a few weeks ago which resolves the problem.

Last edited:
Would be nice to bump into you and put a face to the name (y)
IT'll be here before you know it (y)
Chopping in everything and just having one system (y)
Yes I've ordered one, but thanks for the kind offer. I keep forgetting who's where as there's quite a few people who are 'local', which neck of the woods are you from again?

Allestree just north of Derby

I'm in no way a GAS person. But I'm really waiting for the price on this.......
You and me both. Hoping around the £1k mark but I fear that might be a bit optimistic.

Back