The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sorry to ask again but is this the going rate for an A7r iii ?
Seems cheaper than most I've seen, assuming like new condition and UK.

Thanks - not many around on eBay - they seem to have held there price remarkably well !

Holy moley that expensive for a second hand RIII o_O Brand new grey IV for £2239
I'm surprised that anyone buys anything from them. When I was looking to buy the 200-600 they had several copies priced at only £40 less than the UK new price.

Anyway:
49604756593_fa6df95522_h.jpg

First outing with the 200-600 on the A9.

One thing I did notice was a tendency for the base of the A9 to rub on the buckle of the Peak Design Slide strap. I'm thinking about getting a protective cover for the A9, anyone used one of those silicone covers?

Last edited:
I'm surprised that anyone buys anything from them. When I was looking to buy the 200-600 they had several copies priced at only £40 less than the UK used price.

Anyway:
49604756593_fa6df95522_h.jpg

First outing with the 200-600 on the A9.

One thing I did notice was a tendency for the base of the A9 to rub on the buckle of the Peak Design Slide strap. I'm thinking about getting a protective cover for the A9, anyone used one of those silicone covers?
Great shot.
Did you get a cover for your lens?

Great shot.
Did you get a cover for your lens?
Thanks. I got a cheapy one from Ebay, seems to do the job but the bit that's supposed to cover the distance meter section doesn't stay in place. I suspect it's due to the shape of the lens and the slippery nature of the surface. I got the 400AW Flipside case in the end too, thanks for the advice.

Thats your opinion, Ive also used the DSLR equiv. and they are just as okay/average/crap at AF (depending on requirements). Were you on the latest FW for the 50?

In my case, yes - one of the first things I checked. The lens I had wasn't fit for purpose.

In my case, yes - one of the first things I checked. The lens I had wasn't fit for purpose.

Seems there must be QC issues, it's not the fastest but its within its price point ime, there were a couple others here that have it and it even tracked moving subjects.

Last edited:
Anyone else got a lens cover for their 200-600mm?
What did you get?
Is the quality ok?
Cheers
I’ve used outdoorphotographygear.co.uk many times and their covers are decent. They have the 200-600 available so worth a look. They usually have a choice of patterns,

Seems there must be QC issues, it's not the fastest but its within its price point ime, there were a couple others here that have it and it even tracked moving subjects.

I think you must be correct, because I saw at least one reviewer using one for wedding work - half wish I'd asked to try a replacement.

As you can see in my sig the gears I’ve got.

Want to add a lens or 2.

Either a Sony 100-400 or 200-600. At the moment 100-400 interest me due to it size and weight. But the 200-600 is cheaper lol

Other lens is the tamron 70-180 2.8 to pair with my 28-75

As you can see in my sig the gears I’ve got.

Want to add a lens or 2.

Either a Sony 100-400 or 200-600. At the moment 100-400 interest me due to it size and weight. But the 200-600 is cheaper lol

Other lens is the tamron 70-180 2.8 to pair with my 28-75

Do you plan to shoot anything specific, like wildlife? Or just want to add another lens for the sake of it, to add to the gear list? Because you're talking completely different lenses here, the 70-180 would be rubbish for wildlife for example, and a 200-600 isn't going to be much use indoors.

70-180 is to use for zoo visit and light duty and for it 2.8 sometime portraits At distance. The 100-400 is for zoo

70-180 is to use for zoo visit and light duty and for it 2.8 sometime portraits At distance. The 100-400 is for zoo

It would be great for that purpose, and for your portraits. I'd go for that unless I planned to really push and get out for some wildlife regular with the bigger lenses.

100-400 can have the TC if needed in future but doubt it.

100-400 can have the TC if needed in future but doubt it.

I would add the TC if i ever bought a lens like that, but it would be used mostly for wildlife. Of course it'll also be great for landscape or if you're into shooting outdoor sports but , it's not going to see much use indoors. The Tamron seem like it'll be more useful. Though, I had a 70-200 2.8, actually tried with that focal range twice, and just couldn't get along with them. Felt such an in-betweener lens, always wanting it wider or longer. But it'll depend on your shooting style. The 70-200 was great for the couple of weddings I used them for, outside of that though I struggled to enjoy them [Had the original Nikon Vr and after selling due to lack of use later bought a Sigma]

I would add the TC if i ever bought a lens like that, but it would be used mostly for wildlife. Of course it'll also be great for landscape or if you're into shooting outdoor sports but , it's not going to see much use indoors. The Tamron seem like it'll be more useful. Though, I had a 70-200 2.8, actually tried with that focal range twice, and just couldn't get along with them. Felt such an in-betweener lens, always wanting it wider or longer. But it'll depend on your shooting style. The 70-200 was great for the couple of weddings I used them for, outside of that though I struggled to enjoy them [Had the original Nikon Vr and after selling due to lack of use later bought a Sigma]

What your go to lens then pls

Quick question - can you set the EVF on the A7ii to show in B&W when taking photos and if so can it then be attributed to a custom button?

Currently on holiday in Sri Lanka and as wonderful and interesting as it all is the light during the times of day I’ve got free is very harsh so thought some B&W and abstract might work well and seeing it in “real time” might help.

Quick question - can you set the EVF on the A7ii to show in B&W when taking photos and if so can it then be attributed to a custom button?

Currently on holiday in Sri Lanka and as wonderful and interesting as it all is the light during the times of day I’ve got free is very harsh so thought some B&W and abstract might work well and seeing it in “real time” might help.
Menu > Camera Settings 4 > Creative Style > B/W

Anyone else got a lens cover for their 200-600mm?
What did you get?
Is the quality ok?
Cheers
I got the lenscoat cover it is far superior to the outdoorphoyographygear ones I have bought in the past it is rubber packed so does not spin or fall off the hood. The converter covers were a rip off but needed as I use the lens a lot with the 1.4 and the x2 works a treat for static subjects. I also splashed out a got a Wimberly foot as the original foot and plate were heavier and bulkier. Sold one of my plates to cover most of the cost.

87FFFE45-CB6B-423A-AA70-1BB7504BAB77
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

6A50C94D-27ED-43C6-BDAC-4855D78E6E71

44E14CA2-7CEA-4235-A1F8-008A9CAC7207

I got the lenscoat cover it is far superior to the outdoorphoyographygear ones I have bought in the past it is rubber packed so does not spin or fall off the hood. The converter covers were a rip off but needed as I use the lens a lot with the 1.4 and the x2 works a treat for static subjects. I also splashed out a got a Wimberly foot as the original foot and plate were heavier and bulkier. Sold one of my plates to cover most of the cost.

87FFFE45-CB6B-423A-AA70-1BB7504BAB77

6A50C94D-27ED-43C6-BDAC-4855D78E6E71

44E14CA2-7CEA-4235-A1F8-008A9CAC7207
Thanks
Did you get it from Wex?
I did have one of the outdoor gear ones a couple of years back on my 150-600mm and it seemed ok.
The lenscoat ones do sound great but are a lot dearer.

Back