The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You definitely cant. A7rii AF isnt as good in stills and video and there are certain other things about the RF I prefer (I wont reel off a list in this thread unless someone is interested).

sure go for it :)

Part of the reason I sold my A9 and lenses and moved to a cheaper option, rather have some extra cash in the bank during these times but still wanted a decent camera.
then why R(i)P?
sorry too easy lol

Agreed, very strongly(y)
Who am I to argue with the Dr? Shall I open the conversation with "A couple of guys on an internet forum said..."

As a layman, I'll do some Googling but there's a spur there and I don't see much prospect of it going away (and taking the pain with it) without a knife and a hammer and chisel being involved...

On the plus side it could get you out of going to war (should we have one) like Orange Donald. ;) Although I doubt you paid for the diagnosis like Donald's daddy. ;) :LOL:

Seriously though hope you get it sorted soon as possible. :) A lot of non urgent procedures getting pushed back atm understanerbly. Doesn't ,eam people suffer any less.

Any army that would take me would be better off thinking again and getting the enemy to recruit me :D

sure go for it :)

then why R(i)P?
sorry too easy lol

+ Very good hybrid for stills and video (4K is cropped though, but I see theres a speedbooster now)
+ Screen is great (fully articulated without being cumbersome like others)
+ Proper touch screen for ease of use (for other users)
+ Ergonomics & Build (I dont really have an issue with Sony though)
+ SOOC colour in AWB in tricky light
+ EF adapted lenses (big choice, cheap, excellent performance)
+ ISO comparable to A9
+ Price!

+ - Battery life worse than A7 Mk3 and A9 but still way better than its rating suggests (rated 250, I average 850+)

- Eye AF not as capable as Sony A9 but still good
- CAF not as fast as A9 (nothing else is though tbf) but again, still good
- EVF not as big / bright as A9
- DR not as good as the Sony A7iii at base but not far off A9, Ive not had any issues yet recovering RAWs
- FPS, 5 / 4 FPS is on the slower side.
- No IBIS, dont find that for me is a major issue but can help a little in video, I shoot stills 99% at high shutter speeds.

Overall for the money, its a great choice now, at launch price alongside the A7iii I would buy an A7iii.

Last edited:
+ Very good hybrid for stills and video (4K is cropped though, but I see theres a speedbooster now)
+ Screen is great (fully articulated without being cumbersome like others)
+ Proper touch screen for ease of use (for other users)
+ Ergonomics & Build (I dont really have an issue with Sony though)
+ SOOC colour in AWB in tricky light
+ EF adapted lenses (big choice, cheap, excellent performance)
+ ISO comparable to A9
+ Price!

+ - Battery life worse than A7 Mk3 and A9 but still way better than its rating suggests (rated 250, I average 850+)

- Eye AF not as capable as Sony A9 but still good
- CAF not as fast as A9 (nothing else is though tbf) but again, still good
- EVF not as big / bright as A9
- DR not as good as the Sony A7iii at base but not far off A9, Ive not had any issues yet recovering RAWs
- FPS, 5 / 4 FPS is on the slower side.
- No IBIS, dont find that for me is a major issue but can help a little in video, I shoot stills 99% at high shutter speeds.

Overall for the money, its a great choice now, at launch price alongside the A7iii I would buy an A7iii.

EF adapted lenses and their price is certainly the draw for me too. I could afford a 500mm f4. On sony 200-600mm is the best I can do.
The RF35mm/1.8 is interesting too.

EF adapted lenses and their price is certainly the draw for me too. I could afford a 500mm f4. On sony 200-600mm is the best I can do.
The RF35mm/1.8 is interesting too.

Yeah, the RF35 looks great, I went for another 35 ART though and picked up an 85 ART.

@addicknchips might be getting the RF35 1.8 so can give you his thoughts.

Just on the spending or saving money and jumping systems.

I suppose the makers and sellers love forums like this as they generate excitement and sales and IMO we do see people getting caught up in it all and swapping perfectly good gear for perfectly good gear and probably more than once. This is all well and good if you can afford it or the other half doesn't mind but clearly that's not always the case. It's not just cameras and lenses. I used to see the same thing on the car forums I was on years ago and I suppose it's the same for any other interest from watches through fishing gear and on to boats and private aircraft.

You're all adults and uncle woof woof wouldn't even dream about thinking about telling you all to always try and be objective and think long and hard about what you're thinking of spending money on and why.

:D

Who am I to argue with the Dr? Shall I open the conversation with "A couple of guys on an internet forum said..."

As a layman, I'll do some Googling but there's a spur there and I don't see much prospect of it going away (and taking the pain with it) without a knife and a hammer and chisel being involved...
The spur won't go but then pain can (y)
Yeah, the RF35 looks great, I went for another 35 ART though and picked up an 85 ART.

@addicknchips might be getting the RF35 1.8 so can give you his thoughts.
You just like big heavy lenses ;) Can you imagine if they ever brought out a 200mm f2 or 400mm f2.8 or something, you'd need a wheelbarrow :LOL:

I'm still tempted by the Mitakon 50mm f0.95 :eek:

Just on the spending or saving money and jumping systems.

I suppose the makers and sellers love forums like this as they generate excitement and sales and IMO we do see people getting caught up in it all and swapping perfectly good gear for perfectly good gear and probably more than once. This is all well and good if you can afford it or the other half doesn't mind but clearly that's not always the case. It's not just cameras and lenses. I used to see the same thing on the car forums I was on years ago and I suppose it's the same for any other interest from watches through fishing gear and on to boats and private aircraft.

You're all adults and uncle woof woof wouldn't even dream about thinking about telling you all to always try and be objective and think long and hard about what you're thinking of spending money on and why.

:D

Exactly, so theres no reason for your post, you are certainly no wiser than I am about finances. Everyone I know on here switching can afford it.

You just like big heavy lenses ;) Can you imagine if they ever brought out a 200mm f2 or 400mm f2.8 or something, you'd need a wheelbarrow :LOL:

I'm still tempted by the Mitakon 50mm f0.95 :eek:

Im not the one with big fat 2.8 zooms and birding lenses :p

Ive been pretty surprised by the 85 ART, its heavy in one hand but its got a big focus ring to rest on the left hand so actually feels really good. I bought it thinking there would be a 50/50 chance I would find it to cumbersome. Ive kept it. Optically its the best lens Ive used, the performance is superb and the AF is very fast which I was surprised by when you consider the size of the elements.

Exactly, so theres no reason for your post, you are certainly no wiser than I am about finances. Everyone I know on here switching can afford it.

There's no reason for many of your posts Twist but this is an internet forum and without posts it's dead and sometimes the bleedin obvious needs saying as men being men they sometimes wont admit a lack of restraint or spending money and as some have said they're doing this to free up money I assume they're not being as careful and/or objective/honest with themselves as they could be. Swapping systems and buying and selling within systems is fine if they really honestly truly can afford to do this and keep doing it. If not then more fool them.

I may be no wiser about your finances but I haven't too bad with my own and retired at 49 with more money than I'll ever spend and as that's the case you wont see buying expensive toys and selling them in short time just to free up needed money. I'll not lecture anyone and that post was tongue in cheek but I may take the P a bit, in a friendly way, if people post about freeing up money anytime soon and start the whole cycle again. Especially if they've said they can afford it :D

The spur won't go but then pain can (y)

Dunno. When she rang up the conversation was pretty much that the x-ray showed I've got a spur, do I want referring to have it removed? I said yes. Actually from what's been said here I wish I'd had the other one x-rayed too.

If I get the chance to have another conversation I'll take it but as a layman I can't see how anything other than chopping it off will fix this. In the meantime it's livable and doesn't stop me walking long distances, it just occasionally slows me down and I can still outdistance and outpace the Mrs :D

If I get the chance to have another conversation I'll take it but as a layman I can't see how anything other than chopping it off will fix this. In the meantime it's livable and doesn't stop me walking long distances, it just occasionally slows me down and I can still outdistance and outpace the Mrs :D
Obviously your body, your choice, and you need to go on advice from your own physician's rather than folk on an Internet forum that you don't know, however I'm not sure why you wouldn't give conservative treatment a go?

I'm not averse to surgery, but for me it's usually the last option for MSK problems. Surgery could fix the issue and would likely go fine, but surgery has risks and can cause scar tissue which causes further problems, plus it's likely that you'd need 6-8 weeks recovery. On the other hand, the worst thing that will happen with conservative care is that it just make no difference, but it has a very good change of making it better (y)

Sony prices, any thoughts on if they will go up or down Or stay about the same over the next 6 months I quite fancy 1 more lens not in a rush but don't want to spend a fair chunk of cash only to find it dropped in price .
Rob.

Sony prices, any thoughts on if they will go up or down Or stay about the same over the next 6 months I quite fancy 1 more lens not in a rush but don't want to spend a fair chunk of cash only to find it dropped in price .
Rob.

Prices have been rocketing for the past 3-4 weeks, I think they will continue to go up. The used market is a bit trickier, could go either way.

Youre not anyones parent on this forum afaik, so you dont need to lecture. I know how my finances look, it doesnt hurt to have more in the bank though (even the richest in the world would agree) and thats why financially we thankfully have no issues, when Im not using a camera to its full potential at this stage it would be a waste for me to keep it.

We arent where we are because of hording, but because of well made financial decisions. Like I said, the people I know here that have recently been switching can easily afford to do so, its not about affordability, cutting down on gear usually has the side effect of saving and nobody sensible says thats not always a positive side effect.

I dont have to sell anything but if its not being used to its full potential and something else will offer some other required functionality at this stage, then its a sensible move.

You have a draw of old manual lenses that you dont even use.

Mate, chill out I think you are overreacting a little bit, everybody is on the edge at the moment with the current situation so its only normal that there would be a few rows, I am sure he didn't mean what he said the way you have taken it.

Mate, chill out I think you are overreacting a little bit, everybody is on the edge at the moment with the current situation so its only normal that there would be a few rows, I am sure he didn't mean what he said the way you have taken it.

Hopefully not and I apologise if I did misinterpret.

Prices have been rocketing for the past 3-4 weeks, I think they will continue to go up. The used market is a bit trickier, could go either way.

I also think we will see big increases over the next lot of months, the pound is getting more worthless by the day and with all the logistical issues as well prices for everything not just camera equipment are only going to go one way. Even the prices at the supermarkets have went a bit nuts over the last couple of weeks.

I also think we will see big increases over the next lot of months, the pound is getting more worthless by the day and with all the logistical issues as well prices for everything not just camera equipment are only going to go one way. Even the prices at the supermarkets have went a bit nuts over the last couple of weeks.

Yeah online I'm getting 2kg of dog food for £20! Was getting 4kg for that last month

Yeah online I'm getting 2kg of dog food for £20! Was getting 4kg for that last month

Saw a guy walk into Aldi the other day and he filled his trolley with dog food, cleared the shelf, they told him he can only take a large bag and he freaked and walked out with nothing :rolleyes:

Saw a guy walk into Aldi the other day and he filled his trolley with dog food, cleared the shelf, they told him he can only take a large bag and he freaked and walked out with nothing :rolleyes:

It’s the same everywhere when this all kicked off dog food was the one thing we did stock up on just because at the time we weren’t sure if the local pet shop would still be open.

Gld we did now, as we have 4 dogs.

Youre not anyones parent on this forum afaik, so you dont need to lecture. I know how my finances look, it doesnt hurt to have more in the bank though (even the richest in the world would agree) and thats why financially we thankfully have no issues, when Im not using a camera to its full potential at this stage it would be a waste for me to keep it.

We arent where we are because of hording, but because of well made financial decisions. Like I said, the people I know here that have recently been switching can easily afford to do so, its not about affordability, cutting down on gear usually has the side effect of saving and nobody sensible says thats not always a positive side effect.

I dont have to sell anything but if its not being used to its full potential and something else will offer some other required functionality at this stage, then its a sensible move.

You have a draw of old manual lenses that you dont even use.

I'm not lecturing anyone (even though some might need it, no names) it's just care for my fellow man and I don't know why you're going on with this, the post was just meant a bit of fun but to end this you'll be happy to know I have no objection to anyone spending or burning in the garden any money they can afford. You can put your own smilies in there.

eh? I do use all my lenses. Maybe not every day but I do use them all except the couple of duff ones that are just nice looking paperweights.

I'm not lecturing anyone (even though some might need it, no names) it's just care for my fellow man and I don't know why you're going on with this, the post was just meant a bit of fun but to end this you'll be happy to know I have no objection to anyone spending or burning in the garden any money they can afford. You can put your own smilies in there.

eh? I do use all my lenses. Maybe not every day but I do use them all except the couple of duff ones that are just nice looking paperweights.

I really dont think anyone does need nor want it. ;)

Might have to get burning the way the pound is going, thankfully the sun has been out and winter is over!

I knew a guy on a car forum who bought a Porsche and a go fast BMW despite being on the edge and when he got made redundant... At least with cameras and lenses it's not quite that level of madness.

I was brought up in a family that had nothing and that's stayed with me and to this day anything I buy is bought with money I can afford to spend, actually I pay cash for everything or at least buy with a card and pay the lot off when the bill comes. I'd hate paying 1p in interest. I know too many who live on their cards and pay the minimum every month and for non essential stuff like cars and cameras (excluding professionals) I see that as madness.

Just me :D

Obviously your body, your choice, and you need to go on advice from your own physician's rather than folk on an Internet forum that you don't know, however I'm not sure why you wouldn't give conservative treatment a go?

I'm not averse to surgery, but for me it's usually the last option for MSK problems. Surgery could fix the issue and would likely go fine, but surgery has risks and can cause scar tissue which causes further problems, plus it's likely that you'd need 6-8 weeks recovery. On the other hand, the worst thing that will happen with conservative care is that it just make no difference, but it has a very good change of making it better (y)

I've no idea what other treatment is available other than what I've read Googling. As I said, this wont happen tomorrow so if I get the chance to ask I will.

To put this in perspective although it hurts it doesn't stop me. My brother in law in Singapore is a former marathon runner but when over there I left him for dead going up their "mountain" and that's despite me being a very pale skinned northerner who melts in the sun :D I can't say it's got worse since then as it seems just the same, painful but I can pretty much mostly ignore it and jogging and running seem different to walking. I do wish I'd asked about the other foot though.

The "mountain." If you're a pale blue northerner it's no more taxing than running up and down the steps at Saltburn or Whitby a few times but maybe a bit tricky for Chinese ex marathon runners.

nuZAR0U.jpg

PS.
That was maybe the second most humid place I've ever been. The most being "Big Buddha in the mountain" in Thailand.

Last edited:
Bugger,

So I go to use my Lexar 1000x 64GB card in my A7Rii and all of a sudden the camera says "Card locked".

Upon inspection the sliding locking tab has come off.

Anyone any good ideas for a fix?

Ordered a 1666x 128GB for Saturday but don't really want to bin an otherwise good card (even though they are cheap now).

Back