The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I never knew I wanted the 24-105mm but after reading through some of the latest posts I do now :LOL:

It's a big ol' lump to lug around, and I'm not a fan of the way it renders. Does that help? ;)

Joking aside, it is incredibly useful and super-fast focussing, but there's something I like less about the images it produces than those I get with primes or some older zooms. A useful tool.

Last edited:
It's a big ol' lump to lug around, and I'm not a fan of the way it renders. Does that help? ;)

Joking aside, it is incredibly useful and super-fast focussing, but there's something I like less about the images it produces than those I get with primes or some older zooms. A useful tool.
Yes it does, although I wasn’t seriously considering it ;) The weight and cost have always been the things that’ve made me swerve this lens.

I think this is how I feel about it too, although that's based on only a few uses and with limited access to alternatives (yet). Although I found myself reaching for it more often than the 70-200 last night when I had both cameras round my neck, the images produced by the longer lens were - not surprisingly - much more pleasing. So I'm caught between the incredible usefulness of the 24-105 and whether it will ultimately make me happy.

More on the ZV1...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/lea...new-lifestyle-pictures-leaked-and-full-specs/

It seems expensive to me but what do I know. The 24-70mm f1.8 lens looks very attractive if that's what it really is but the lack of a vf would rule it out for me. If it has one of those pop up ones I could be interested. I haven't been able to see if it has one or not yet, maybe it hasn't got one.

It is designed for vlogging not photography so no evf required.

The rumour site mentioned a new hotshoe evf the other day it is likely that will work with it.

It was the 1" sensor and lens spec that caught my eye but I'm not interested in any camera without a vf. One stuck on the top could suite some people but not me. So I'm out.

It was the 1" sensor and lens spec that caught my eye but I'm not interested in any camera without a vf. One stuck on the top could suite some people but not me. So I'm out.

you can get the same lens and sensor on the RX100VA which has an EVF too. Coincidently one in sales atm :p

That camera has a f1.8-2.8 lens and if that's what then ZV1 has that's another disappointment as the spec I read said f1.8. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the pop up vf.

Anyway, it was just a thought. I have the TZ100 with 25-250mm lens but that lens is slow and soft so I've always fancied a faster sharper lens even if with less zoom but I don't fancy one enough to pay that ZV1 price and put up with either no vf or a pop up one.

That camera has a f1.8-2.8 lens and if that's what then ZV1 has that's another disappointment as the spec I read said f1.8. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the pop up vf.

Anyway, it was just a thought. I have the TZ100 with 25-250mm lens but that lens is slow and soft so I've always fancied a faster sharper lens even if with less zoom but I don't fancy one enough to pay that ZV1 price and put up with either no vf or a pop up one.

I think its the same lens, you can see that if you look at the pictures. Its rated f1.8-2.8. Think he simply missed out the f2.8 bit.

I have a LX100ii in sales that might be more your thing ;)

It was really that f1.8 that caught my attention, I am put off by the pop up vf though. I'll stick with my TZ100. I hardly ever use it but it's there when I want it.

I'm sure someone will have your LX100 but nice as they are sadly again it's not a camera I'm interested in.

It was really that f1.8 that caught my attention, I am put off by the pop up vf though. I'll stick with my TZ100. I hardly ever use it but it's there when I want it.

I'm sure someone will have your LX100 but nice as they are sadly again it's not a camera I'm interested in.

Not a great fan of the pop-up EVF myself. So I know what you mean. My main issue with the TZ100 is its lens which is a bit soft. The RX100 (whatever version that has 24-250mm lens) has a great lens but its really expensive and also has a pop-up EVF.

I have seriously gone round in circles with this one myself lol
I really like the LX100II. The EVF is a bit crap (old sequential style one) and no tilty LCD screen but overall its great. I am thinking may the new X100V?? or rebuy RX1Rii? or may be give RX100XXX a chance once more....?

May be its all GAS and I should just keep the LX100ii

Last edited:
The TZ100 lens does let it down but it's only soft at some lengths and I've read that it shares this issue with other similar cameras/lenses so it's not as if there's a significantly better alternative. As you know there's probably something wrong with just about everything. You just have to pick your compromises.

And a PS.
In your place I think I'd keep the LX100.

Last edited:
Sorry, but doesn't do anything for me. But if you'd been on the other side of him with that rising sun on your back...

Unfortunately that wasn’t possible it took some ninja like skills to avoid the game keepers as it was. :ROFLMAO:
I like it but you've got some bad banding and grid patterning ;):p

I think I'd really like to see that - so much more interesting than the usual soft brownish creature against a soft greenish-brownish background with the usual slightly over-cooked patches.

Anyone pick anything up during the bank holiday offers?

There was a hard case I wanted that I found on offer at Park cameras. It was already reduced and then there was a further 15% of with a voucher code but they had no stock.

After doing a bit of digging around it seemed way too cheap WEX were exactly double the price and even my guy there couldn't get them to reduce it as the price they buy them in at was way above the price that Park were offering.

Park said it was available to order on their website with the supplier but it wouldn't let me use the voucher code so I ended up having to do it over the phone.

Have no idea if I will ever get it or not, have a strong feeling it has been priced wrong and they will eventually cancel the order, but if your not in you can't win. :ROFLMAO:

Nothing photography related but I'll soon have to buy some new inks for my R2880 as I've been doing a lot of printing for Mrs WW.

Things I've bought...

A four tier mini greenhouse thingy for Mrs WW.
A DVD of the original version of Stepford wives, for some reason it came into my head so I want to see it again.
A DVD of the 1963 version of Lord of the flies.
I'm currently looking at a copies of a book called Insects ways on summer days which I had as a kid but it's gone missing over the years, and a portable car jump starter.

At the moment there's nothing photography related I want.

There was a hard case I wanted that I found on offer at Park cameras. It was already reduced and then there was a further 15% of with a voucher code but they had no stock.

After doing a bit of digging around it seemed way too cheap WEX were exactly double the price and even my guy there couldn't get them to reduce it as the price they buy them in at was way above the price that Park were offering.

Park said it was available to order on their website with the supplier but it wouldn't let me use the voucher code so I ended up having to do it over the phone.

Have no idea if I will ever get it or not, have a strong feeling it has been priced wrong and they will eventually cancel the order, but if your not in you can't win. :ROFLMAO:

Was that the vanguard? It did seem silly cheap.

The Voigtlanders have an excellent reputation. You should never buy only one lens though, they get lonely

PR review of the 65mm APO :)

I too bought a 5 shelf mini greenhouse over the weekend.

I also discovered 2 very nice prime lenses in a tidy up over the weekend that I had forgotten I owned! A Pentax SMC K 135mm F2.5 and an old favourite from years back, SMC K 30mm F2.8. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I might have to get a used a6400 with the improved EVF to use them properly. Still thinking that one through though, it would also solve the endless issues I have getting photos off the camera and onto my phone for quick sharing online, the a6000 really sucks at that. To be honest, I was thinking about this upgrade before I found the lenses, but it just gave me more reasons to upgrade. Will make a decision over payday weekend.

Fingers crossed it comes through!

Bought that Carl Zeiss 80-200/4 the other week so ordered an adapter with a tripod foot for better balance and less mount strain! More miniature conifers for the garden and some edging stuff for wildflower type planting that she wants. Picking up her metal bird feeder stand I made her from the powder coaters today. Bought a lightweight sun/UV hoodie to keep cool and covered when out walking for miles....! That's about it I think.....

Seems to be a few people have jumped on the greenhouse wagon. My next door neighbour got a new one maybe last month and now has about 20 cannabis plants growing in it. :oops: :$

She told my missus she was growing tomatoes, my missus is a bit naive and believed her. :ROFLMAO:

Seems to be a few people have jumped on the greenhouse wagon. My next door neighbour got a new one maybe last month and now has about 20 cannabis plants growing in it. :oops: :$

She told my missus she was growing tomatoes, my missus is a bit naive and believed her. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah man...

Maybe it's the lock down.

Mrs WW was getting interested in plants before this though and every inch of window ledge space is in use now. I started looking at cold frames but later wanted to get her a greenhouse but she's adamant she doesn't want one and just wants one of those vertical 4 tier phone box type things.

Maybe it's the lock down.

Mrs WW was getting interested in plants before this though and every inch of window ledge space is in use now. I started looking at cold frames but later wanted to get her a greenhouse but she's adamant she doesn't want one and just wants one of those vertical 4 tier phone box type things.

I honestly hate gardening, with the lockdown the missus has taken over mowing duties etc.

Here there is big fad for lots of led lights in the garden we now have 2 strings of leds running around the garden fences and some in the trees etc. The neighbours have all done the same it’s like Christmas here at night time. :ROFLMAO:

I like lights but not strings. I have 4 lamps and three bulbs all of which are solar powered and flash when the light drops. I also have one that's just a solid lamp that comes on when it gets dark. All were bout from cheap shops and most needed some sort of modding to make them last more than a day outside in the rain :D

They're not to everyone taste, they're just a bit of fun.

I like lights but not strings. I have 4 lamps and three bulbs all of which are solar powered and flash when the light drops. I also have one that's just a solid lamp that comes on when it gets dark. All were bout from cheap shops and most needed some sort of modding to make them last more than a day outside in the rain :D

They're not to everyone taste, they're just a bit of fun.

We have lots of those too. The funny thing it's not that long from ago we where saying they were tacky but the whole street has them now and honestly it does cheer the place up a bit.

It's funny really before the lockdown I only really knew my neighbours on either side and I don't speak at all to one of them.

But I know them all now, if its one thing the lockdown has given is a bit of community.

The guys here are organising a street party on Thursday night instead of clapping for the NHS, obviously a little difficult with social distancing etc. but they have got a barbacue thing set up and a D.J. Last week everyone got in the middle of the road and did rock the boat. :ROFLMAO:

My Voigtlander family. 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

View attachment 280630

The idea was supposed to be to buy some modern manual lenses and then sell the film era ones but it didn't quite work out as I kept everything.

It's clear that you love them when a whole shelf in the garage is dedicated to them.

Back