The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I did, however, show me a video of the Sony cams doing a better job at animal eye AF and then youve justified your comment. Badges mean nothing. ;)
Didn't mean in this case, in general. You defend the RP, must be some kind of a fanboi to do that :p

Didn't mean in this case, in general. You defend the RP, must be some kind of a fanboi to do that :p

Na, its a good camera, I dont defend it, Ive used it and many others so know whats good and whats crap at various price points including all your decentered lenses. You seem to slate everything but your Sony without actually using anything else though ;)

Samyang 18mm and 24mm, Sony 35mm, 28mm and 28-70mm all sold and now on the lookout for a Sony 16-35mm f4 :)

Batis 25mm arrives tomorrow and it is getting shipped out straight away to its new owner and Im going down the same route...

Na, its a good camera, I dont defend it, Ive used it and many others so know whats good and whats crap at various price points including all your decentered lenses. You seem to slate everything but your Sony without actually using anything else though ;)

I slate Sony too.

I don't have the funds to to try/use everything. But before the lockdown I used to try a bunch of stuff. now I can't so sony is all I have.

One thing I really don’t understand is why have they put a 21mp sensor in the r6?

Even if they have better eye af, they don’t seem better all rounders than the Sony stuff to me.
There isn't a huge difference between 20mp and 24mp.

Sorry, didnt mean to turn you green, its on topic, the Canons have been mentioned in comparison (as they should be) :D
Haha, doesn’t turn me green but it is impressive. I don’t expect Sony to take it lying down though.

The Sony system suits my needs better at the moment but it’s not perfect. I don’t think I could afford another system jump though when Canon bring out a higher res body and a few more lenses.

Haha, doesn’t turn me green but it is impressive. I don’t expect Sony to take it lying down though.

The Sony system suits my needs better at the moment but it’s not perfect. I don’t think I could afford another system jump though when Canon bring out a higher res body and a few more lenses.

They won't, perhaps looking at the a7r4 and a92 they thought they were well ahead of the pack but now they know so will innovate again. Its not sensible to switch from top Sony to top canon, you won't achieve much as a hobbyist. It's a huge outlay and they are both fantastic systems. I'm glad somebody is finally offering competition, it's been about 3 boring years.

Last edited:
Now if Sony lenses work well ( if they can be adapted ) the R5 or R6 would be interesting for birding time will tell :)
Rob.

And? That doesn't answer the question, it doesn't make sense.

It's less than the RP and 6DII. Silly decision IMO.

Well it kind of does, if they are using a new sensor design, 4mp is nothing if the performance is better, if they can reduce the overall cost and offer better performance with a relatively competitive MP then it ain't to bad.

Sticking with 12mp after this long is a stupid decision.

And? That doesn't answer the question, it doesn't make sense.

It's less than the RP and 6DII. Silly decision IMO.

pixels is not everything the sensor stack in RP and 6DII isn't great. They used the sensor stack in 1DXiii which on the other hand is really good. I know which I'd rather have.
They are reusing their sensor tech which makes complete sense building a new sensor for every body will simply increase costs and won't be good market strategy. Even Sony who is bigger sensor manufacturer follow the same.

Didn't you say you were a business teacher? ;)

I agree, think they should have made it to 20-ish. But its supposedly a newly designed version. If it provides capabilities that no other bodies provide it might work for them but I'll be surprised.

pixels is not everything the sensor stack in RP and 6DII isn't great. They used the sensor stack in 1DXiii which on the other hand is really good. I know which I'd rather have.
They are reusing their sensor tech which makes complete sense building a new sensor for every body will simply increase costs and won't be good market strategy. Even Sony who is bigger sensor manufacturer follow the same.

Yes, but, the rp is like 1k, what else does the market offer at the price point? An A7 or A7II, which I think we can both agree aren't great, then add native lenses which I can honestly say get nowhere near the performance of adapted ef lenses on the RP and the skintones and iso are terrible in comparison, then there's the handling, like I said previously mate, every price point has an offering.

Last edited:
Yes, but, the rp is like 1k, what else does the market offer at the price point? An A7 or A7II, which I think we can both agree aren't great, then add native lenses which I can honestly say get nowhere near the performance of adapted ef lenses on the RP and the skintones and iso are terrible in comparison, then there's the handling, like I said previously mate, every price point has an offering.

we have been through this before do you want to do it again lol
A7RII

A7 is lot cheaper.
And A7II is as bad an update as RP/6DII.

Last edited:
we have been through this before do you want to do it again lol
A7RII

As many times as you like, a7rii sensor (only Dr and MP) , everything else rp. And a new a7rii cannot be had with an mc11 for around 900 quid.

Last edited:
As many times as you like, a7rii sensor (only Dr and MP) , everything else rp. And a new a7rii cannot be had with an mc11 for around 900 quid.

what is everything else?

who needs MC-11 when you have a great native selection of lenses.

is like buying a smart phone with crap phone quality and saying but its good at everything else apart from being a phone.

Last edited:

Assuming you're talking about the A7Sii successor, then the 12MP only makes sense if it is a 4K video camera only as the 12MP makes it pretty pointless for anyone looking for a hybrid. I'm looking forward to seeing what they actually announce as the rumoured spec is hardly exciting.... ohh wait the worlds highest resolution EVF, on a camera that next to no one will use the EVF on, great...

Last edited:
R6 looks appealing but no way I could afford to swap systems with the price of bodies and lenses at the moment!

Well it kind of does, if they are using a new sensor design, 4mp is nothing if the performance is better, if they can reduce the overall cost and offer better performance with a relatively competitive MP then it ain't to bad.

It is, but that's a video camera. 21mp is a silly move IMO.

Don't you use an A7R4? One reason to own that camera over A9 or A9II - pixels.

Business has absolutely no relation to the fact they put a low MP sensor in what will be their more popular body. My comment was more the logic behind it than how it would impact their business. Just backward thinking and going back in time.

@woof woof , might as well call this the Canon thread now as seems some fanboys have arrived.

what is everything else?

who needs MC-11 when you have a great native selection of lenses.

You seem to keep missing the bit about offerings at a given pricepoint. How well are Sony native lenses priced in comparison to what's available in EF mount? IF the user is prepared to adapt?

Last edited:
I've used (pretty much) all the best Sonys since A mount so can confidently say that's not quite the case. How about you?

You seem to be 'anti-sony' all of a sudden.

Errrr, 2 Canon bodies, 2 Nikon bodies, 3 Fuji bodies, 5 Sony bodies (A7, A7II, A7III, A7RII, A7RIII). Couldn't actually care about the brand to be honest.

the difference between 24mp and 61mp or even 42mp is noticeable and lot more than the difference between 20mp and 24/26mp.

Love to see the different between 42mp and 61mp in an usable format other than to slow down a computer and take up more file space. Still missing the point, they've gone backwards, by how much is irrelevant.

On another note just seen a guy say that 15 seconds of 8k footage from the R5 and it was 4.5gb. Excellent.

Love to see the different between 42mp and 61mp in an usable format other than to slow down a computer and take up more file space. Still missing the point, they've gone backwards, by how much is irrelevant.

On another note just seen a guy say that 15 seconds of 8k footage from the R5 and it was 4.5gb. Excellent.

I didn't say they was huge difference between 61 and 42mp, I said there was difference between 24mp and 61mp or 42mp.
The is certainly a difference between 61mp and 42mp too more so than 20mp and 26mp.

For example I can crop the results from 61mp nearly 2x times and still print A3+ at nearly 300dpi. Couldn't with 42mp.

I don't think they have gone backwards at all. The IQ and AF is lot better by looks of it. Quality matters more than quantity. Even better if you can have both ;)

Twist only seems to like arguing for the brand he's shooting, he was the same when he shot Sony.

Last edited:

Errrr, 2 Canon bodies, 2 Nikon bodies, 3 Fuji bodies, 5 Sony bodies (A7, A7II, A7III, A7RII, A7RIII). Couldn't actually care about the brand to be honest.

Love to see the different between 42mp and 61mp in an usable format other than to slow down a computer and take up more file space.

Not quite, I buy what suits requirements and budget. That last comment wasn't a dig at Sony, but the complete opposite and if you knew about Sonys earlier years you would've understood it, when canikons bodys cost a fortune and canikon were top dog the Sonys were cheaper, but your comment basically says cheaper is worse, well that's not the case, Sony was cheaper because they had to be, their cameras were leading in terms of technological advances, the only areas they suffered were high iso. High MP, superior ovf, fantastic build, ibis, top quality minolta and Sony glass. Then they went to slt which paved the way to ospdaf.

I'd rather not list my camera history.

15s is 4.5g. Let’s say 5g to be conservative. That’s 20g a minute. A 128g card will do 6 and a half minutes. A 1TB card will do about 50min.

Then will need the HDD at home to process it, I really don’t think 8k is feasible yet as a workflow.

15s is 4.5g. Let’s say 5g to be conservative. That’s 20g a minute. A 128g card will do 6 and a half minutes. A 1TB card will do about 50min.

Then will need the HDD at home to process it, I really don’t think 8k is feasible yet as a workflow.

Well not for normal people who video a 30 minute long boring clip, but why should that stop the advancement of technology at the upper end. Care to price up an upcoming 6k red and a few 1tb Cf express cards, that side of things is not aimed at Joe.

Last edited:
Twist only seems to like arguing for the brand he's shooting, he was the same when he shot Sony.

And you've never changed, never seeing the positives all the brands have to offer, just making uninformed guesses based on no experience of a product.

And you've never changed, never seeing the positives all the brands have to offer, just making uninformed guesses based on no experience of a product.
Actually quite the opposite I am appreciative and critical of all brands equally. My history proves it.
On the other hand you make false assumptions about my experiences.

Last edited:
They won't, perhaps looking at the a7r4 and a92 they thought they were well ahead of the pack but now they know so will innovate again. Its not sensible to switch from top Sony to top canon, you won't achieve much as a hobbyist. It's a huge outlay and they are both fantastic systems. I'm glad somebody is finally offering competition, it's been about 3 boring years.
TBH I’ve no interest in Canon other than the RF 70-200mm (and curiosity as I’ve never owned a Canon other than a compact), but I’m pretty sure I’m going to get the Tammy 70-180mm which is even lighter. Maybe Sony will update their 70-200mm with something smaller and lighter but it’ll cost a fortune no doubt. I do wish the Sony had the Z7 grip though ;)
Tbh I can tell the difference between the 46mp Z7 and 61mp R4 in terms of cropability but it not as much as you’d think. Still, it’s handy to have (y)

TBH I’ve no interest in Canon other than the RF 70-200mm (and curiosity as I’ve never owned a Canon other than a compact), but I’m pretty sure I’m going to get the Tammy 70-180mm which is even lighter. Maybe Sony will update their 70-200mm with something smaller and lighter but it’ll cost a fortune no doubt. I do wish the Sony had the Z7 grip though ;)

Tbh I can tell the difference between the 46mp Z7 and 61mp R4 in terms of cropability but it not as much as you’d think. Still, it’s handy to have (y)

The 70-180 was the first zoom to get my attention, purely based on size and what looks like excellent IQ. I'm a prime shooter as you know and trying multiple 70200 zooms over the years... Ugh size and weight. Looks to be a winner.

70-180 is probably best option for you TBH.

I did consider it, but I have no complaints about the GM and quite like it’s weight and size now.

Back