The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The only advantages for this lens I can think of are size/weight and cost, but I don't know if I'm right on either. Another thing could be the look it gives. I'm sure it'll find some buyers.

The only advantages for this lens I can think of are size/weight and cost, but I don't know if I'm right on either. Another thing could be the look it gives. I'm sure it'll find some buyers.

not a fan of the doughnut bokeh. I wonder if anyone is.
If its sharp it could be a nice addition to a travel kit.
Interesting design choice though. they made it in m42 mount so they could provide adapters for the other mounts.

Yep it's different on A7RIV/A9/ii and A6[1|4|6]00
Previous generation you had to set to a custom button and press it if you wanted to eyeAF (no need for half shutter press). With the latest version it'll automatically find eyes if it happens to be in the frame. But if you wish you can still set up latest generation to work like before but not sure why you would.

After later FW update A7III/A7RIII can do this to some extent but not fully.

Think I explained the differences to you in a massive post on this thread before. I'll see if I can find it lol.
Thanks, appreciate it.
@snerkler - explained it to you here in December lol
You don’t expect me to remember that do you, I struggle to remember what happened this morning let alone 8 months ago :LOL:

The Tamron 70-180mm’s arrived. Not mounted it on a camera yet but first impressions are pretty positive. Zoom is nice to use and the lens feels well made, although not in the same league as my Nikon 70-200mm VRII. Looking forward to trying it out over the weekend.

I did notice dust in the lens already, unusual for Tamron that ;)

Last edited:
The Tamron 70-180mm’s arrived. Not mounted it on a camera yet but first impressions are pretty positive. Zoom is nice to use and the lens feels well made, although not in the same league as my Nikon 70-200mm VRII. Looking forward to trying it out over the weekend.

I did notice dust in the lens already, unusually for Tamron that ;)

did you say you were renting it? how long do you have it for?

As it's quiet...

Non Sony stuff.

I was amazed to see that Steve Huff has posted something negative!

For those who don't know, he only reviews things he likes which at least explains why he seems to like everything he reviews :D I do remember people pestering him to post a Panasonic review and he initially refused as he didn't like it. I can't remember if he ever did post that review but here he has posted a review of something he doesn't like and he's said why.

It's a Leica.

I do sort of see his point but also I can imagine some Leica owners wanting to produce high resolution pictures and this could be just what they've been waiting for.

Initial thoughts on the Tamron 70-180mm are positive, AF is fast and IQ appears to be very good. I don’t think sharpness was ever in doubt, but it does appear to have nice pop (want to test this more though) and colours are nice, similar to the Sony 85mm f1.8 from my initial tests. Bad colours only seem to down to Sony’s below par (imo) WB, so no different to other lenses.

What is noticeable is that you forget you’re using a FF ‘70-200mm type’ f2.8 lens, it’s very hard to look past how light it is, it’s so much nicer to use than your average 70-200mm f2.8.

Last edited:
She's getting bigger.
How you finding the lens? This sort of innovation (the size/weight reduction) is exactly what i want to see from the brands and good to see tamron and Canon cracking on.
still kinda hoping this lens makes its way to canon RF. And also the sigma lenses like the new 100-400mm.
can't afford all the RF lenses lol

still kinda hoping this lens makes its way to canon RF. And also the sigma lenses like the new 100-400mm.
can't afford all the RF lenses lol

I'd be amazed if tamron/sigma were not looking at nikon and Canon mounts. Especially with the buzz around the R5/R6.

since we spent so much time on canon r5/6 its only fair to give some time for nikon Z5

since we spent so much time on canon r5/6 its only fair to give some time for nikon Z5

I can only see myself changing brands if my A7 fails and all the worlds new and used Sony bodies have disappeared into a black hole. Other than that I just don't have enough interest in kit fondling to switch brands. This Sony mount kit is enough to keep me with Sony even though I've always hedged my bets and kept film era primes that I could use on just about any new mirrorless camera.

Sony, 20mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.
Voigtlander, 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2, 50mm f2.

There's a lens for just about everything I want there :D

I can only see myself changing brands if my A7 fails and all the worlds new and used Sony bodies have disappeared into a black hole. Other than that I just don't have enough interest in kit fondling to switch brands. This Sony mount kit is enough to keep me with Sony even though I've always hedged my bets and kept film era primes that I could use on just about any new mirrorless camera.

Sony, 20mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.
Voigtlander, 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2, 50mm f2.

There's a lens for just about everything I want there :D

considering how much you enjoy your MF lenses and how little you care about AF performance you can adapt all those to a nikon body with the adapter and just treat it like another e-mount camera :D

She's getting bigger.
How you finding the lens? This sort of innovation (the size/weight reduction) is exactly what i want to see from the brands and good to see tamron and Canon cracking on.
The lens renders really nicely, and the weight is a godsend. Currently at Donington and the difference between this and the 100-400mm I’m switching back and forth from is very noticeable indeed. TBH I’m really noticing the difference in weight between this 100-400mm and the Panny 100-400mm I was using for this stuff previously.

One thing that is causing an issue is the lack of focus limiter, already missed several shots as it’s decided it would suddenly like to focus on the fence :(

On a side note, how do I set the camera to delete an image from both cards rather than just slot 1?

considering how much you enjoy your MF lenses and how little you care about AF performance you can adapt all those to a nikon body with the adapter and just treat it like another e-mount camera :D

As I'm just sat here, what would be the point in changing to Nikon when I have a perfectly good A7?

When I moved from compacts to an SLR there were clear reasons like better optics and more control. When I moved from a Nikon SLR to Canon DSLR's there were again clear advantages, the change from Nikon to Canon could be questioned but at the time Canon had a clear lead. When I decided to move away from DSLR's MFT tempted me in but the Sony A7 pushed me to replace all that DSLR kit. These days for the vast majority of people whatever mirrorless they buy will probably be good enough unless they're pushing the envelope of what's possible or they want a specific lens or the ability to use their existing lenses and if that's the case there will be a push more towards one marque or model than another. Eye detect, tracking, silent shooting and blackout free shooting spring to mind as areas Sony possibly still lead in and Sony may push things even further but maybe Canikon are just about there now for most people.

I do care about AF but I'm realistic about my needs. All I need is the ability to track people and the A7 does that and its face detect is good enough for me for most things. I would like MFT's blisteringly fast AF speed, silent shooting and eye detect in a FF body for social pictures but that can all wait until my A7 packs up and even then I might stick to MFT for this use as it's much smaller and less conspicuous as sometimes even an A7 and 35mm f2.8 can seem a bit too honking next to my GXx cameras and a f1.8 prime.

I've been ill but recovering now and looking forward to taking some pictures maybe next week :D

The lens renders really nicely, and the weight is a godsend. Currently at Donington and the difference between this and the 100-400mm I’m switching back and forth from is very noticeable indeed. TBH I’m really noticing the difference in weight between this 100-400mm and the Panny 100-400mm I was using for this stuff previously.

One thing that is causing an issue is the lack of focus limiter, already missed several shots as it’s decided it would suddenly like to focus on the fence :(

On a side note, how do I set the camera to delete an image from both cards rather than just slot 1?

Maybe the biggest potential issue with this lens.

Maybe the biggest potential issue with this lens.
The lens almost got thrown over the fence this afternoon, the lack of focus limiter is a real issue.

Not a professional design of tool then?
Depends what it’s being used for I guess. Certainly neglected motorsport users, and probably wildlife park users too.

TBH though I’m thinking of stopping going to Donington, it’s totally ruined now for togs. Not only have they put catch fencing up around 95% of the circuit they’ve started putting a secondary fence up anywhere from 6-12ft away from the catch fencing meaning it’s very difficult to blur out the fencing. Looking at it I think it’s only a matter of time before they do that the whole way around :(
Do not delete photos in camera! Suck it up and let it take up space until you format it.
Why?

Because its more likely to cause card corruption issues with the index structure of the card - this is fairly universally known
I wasn't sure if that was an old wive's tale or not tbh. If you format it again afterwards does it negate the chance of corruption due to this, or once deleted have you always caused more of a risk?

I wasn't sure if that was an old wive's tale or not tbh. If you format it again afterwards does it negate the chance of corruption due to this, or once deleted have you always caused more of a risk?

A clean format in camera puts it back to a quiescent state.

NB you are unlikely to actually loose photos, but if the index structure gets corrupted you will need recovery software to get them off cleanly, best practice is not to delete in camera, memory cards are relatively cheap these days, so its not like you need to save space.

I've always deleted the odd picture in camera and have never ever suffered any significant issue. Having said that every action you complete is I suppose a chance for things to go wrong and deleting in camera is one action you can live without doing as you can always format the card once you've copied the pictures to your pc. Perhaps some deletion related issues are caused by people interrupting the deletion process instead of keeping their fingers off the buttons and dials until it's finished.

I've seen it first hand more than once. The card would be unusable until you format it, but of course until then all the rest of the space left, be it 8G or 64G is useless until you recover it then format it.

Or you can get this message and the last photo in the series will be gone and you can continue taking, or the whole card will be unusable. It obviously done something to the index. What I was doing there, if you can see the background, I was in the breakfast room in the hotel, lens the tables and chairs...was looking through photos and deleting the odd photo and got this.

cnH5Sbo.jpg

Last edited:
As explained above it's true.
Have experienced this myself too. Would never delete single pictures off cards. My cards always get formatted.

:ROFLMAO: Been debating the Canon 50 1.2 a lot recently and almost took the plunge this morning but I had an engagement session this afternoon and decided to wait until I got back.

Used the little 55 during the engagement session and have decided to put the 50 1.2 on the back burner for now anyway. Such a great wee lens and the small form factor makes it a joy to use.

Back