The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You have never used any of that Canon glass, so you have no idea at all if it is good, bad or indifferent. Reading some reviews on the internet doesn’t make you an expert.

I have used quite a lot of Canon glass including the older f/1.2 lenses pretty extensively as the girl I second shot for when I first started doing weddings insisted I used her gear. The f/1.2 lenses are crap in terms of sharpness. I can’t think of any lens she had that was in anyway better then the Nikon gear I had at the time. She always insisted that it was due to a.f issues due to the d.o.f. It ist though they are just soft, really soft! They are no better on mirrorless than they were on DSLRs when a.f is no longer an issue.

The new Canon RF f1.2 lenses are supposed to be a lot better but I have only used the 50 f/1.2 which was to be fair excellent.

You have no idea what I have used.

I have owned 2x 135mm f2 and the 70-200 f4 along with the 70-200 2.8 and know the 35mm 1.4mk2 is better than the Nikon, because its better than the Sigma 1.4 which I have used a very long time. The 50mm ...guess what, its f1.2 and Nikon doesnt even have a high end 50mm so what are you talking about when you mention Nikons high end 50mm? They only have a crappy 50mm 1.4. The Canon 85mm 1.4 is miles better than than the 1.2 for sharpness, have you used it? Because its better than the Nikon. Guess what, Canons 135 is also better than Nikons.

Does Nikon have all the TSE lenses Canon has made? Do they have an MPe65?

Last edited:
It’s funny to watch someone making a blanket statement then trying to backtrack. Because clearly we all know that the 35L Mk2 is best in class, no one is disputing that, therefore, the statement “all EF primes and soft” is incorrect. Yet keep digging that hole.

Seriously, how childish.

You have no idea what I have used.

I have owned 2x 135mm f2 and the 70-200 f4 along with the 70-200 2.8 and know the 35mm 1.4mk2 is better than the Nikon, because its better than the Sigma 1.4 which I have used a very long time. The 50mm ...guess what, its f1.2 and Nikon doesnt even have a high end 50mm so what are you talking about when you mention Nikons high end 50mm? They only have a crappy 50mm 1.4. The Canon 85mm 1.4 is miles better than than the 1.2 for sharpness, have you used it? Because its better than the Nikon. Guess what, Canons 135 is also better than Nikons.

Does Nikon have all the TSE lenses Canon has made? Do they have an MPe65?

Yes I have used the Canon 85 f/1.4 it’s isn’t as sharp as Nikon’s and it doesn’t render as nicely either.

She's whoever you want her to be.................... for a price.

If you don't know its name where have you been for the last fortnight?

(Grammar checked just for the idiots).

Did I miss something? I've been ill and haven't watched much telly recently so if this is all over the news I missed it.

Seen a million photos on Facebook of this, everyone of them awful.
there was one over stonehenge posted on this forum that was quite good.
Same but different.

@woof woof maybe interested in this.

Previous image was shot on Sony 50mm f1.8

This one's on an old Pentax SMC 28mm f2.8 MF lens.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jokCFA]Comet NEOWISE by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Quite like this too but magnification is lower (of the comet i mean).

Not really seeing the issue with your new gear mate. (y)
Thanks, there's no issue per se just that I found the 100-400mm difficult to hold steady and the weight was noticeable (y)

Think there is pretty much zero interest in that one.

There is supposed to be a new entry level full frame camera in September and the A7IV is expected before the end of the year.

Also a bit of chat about a new 35 & 50GM along with the 85GM being refreshed with an extra a.f motor like the 135.

There is supposed to be a new entry level full frame camera in September and the A7IV is expected before the end of the year.

Also a bit of chat about a new 35 & 50GM along with the 85GM being refreshed with an extra a.f motor like the 135.

Now those sound fun.

Same for me, there's zero chance I'll buy one but it'll be interesting to see the image quality a modern 12mp camera can produce. I'll be interested to see how the IQ will compare to a higher resolution picture downscaled to match the 12mp picture.

Same for me, there's zero chance I'll buy one but it'll be interesting to see the image quality a modern 12mp camera can produce. I'll be interested to see how the IQ will compare to a higher resolution picture downscaled to match the 12mp picture.

Exactly this, to me its a 90% video camera in a hybrid body, which doesnt quite work. The camera has been hyped for bloody ages, might be the S line downfall.

We saw lots of these today.

PuTkrmI.jpg

Googling tells me it's a Cinnabar moth.

Just for fun I tried my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2 with my No.4 close up filter. The longer the focal length the greater the magnification but the 35mm f1.4 was the most usable as it had the smallest gap between the maximum distance at which it'd focus with the filter and the minimum distance it'd focus without it.

Exactly this, to me its a 90% video camera in a hybrid body, which doesnt quite work. The camera has been hyped for bloody ages, might be the S line downfall.

They might surprise us and there might be a market for this camera if the early views are right and it is really a mini Arri, or whatever.

The biggest thing for some may be the fully articulated screen, if it does have one. I can see blogger type people with Sony lenses buying one for that one reason.

Back