The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There's an interesting piece on DPR comparing a 7artisans 35mm f1.4 to a much more expensive Leica. As both of these lenses could be used on Sony mirrorless this could be interesting.

It's from here...

Has anyone ever tried a 7artisans lens? They do seem to be good value.

7 Artisans lens seems to have a little less contrast, but otherwise hard to tell without downloading the images.

I'm almost tempted as I have a Leica adaptor somewhere.
Is it not the same lens as the E Mount one?

I didn't know there was an E mount one.

I'll Google it... :D

Ah, Phillip Reeve has a review with sample pictures.

I think my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is possibly a better lens.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was an E mount one.

I'll Google it... :D

Ah, Phillip Reeve has a review with sample pictures.

I think my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is possibly a better lens.

I would much rather have the Voigtlander (y)

The heather has mostly been poor this year I think the spring drought was the main issue, exacerbated by heather beetle grubs.
A few little pockets especially cool damp areas like here (north facing) have a decent show.

A7iii with 24-105

Humpy Heather at New Way

Oh I do like that shot - I really miss Yorkshire, thank you for sending me a little reminder - a very nice reminder too

Les :)

Just looked at the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 E-mount, looks really nice (y)

I've posted a lot of pictures taken with that lens and more recently I've been using a No.4 close up filter with it. It's a bit funky at f1.x with a messy subject but I really like it from stopped down a bit and of course you don't get that wide aperture funkiness with every subject and composition. Another issue is that the extreme corners are never good at any aperture but you really have to look closely to see this. I've had the Leica mount version and the newer E mount is a lot better in just about every way.

Here's the E mount one on my camera :D

CnD4wDX.jpg

It really is compact for an f1.4 lens.

Last edited:
I must stop buying lenses.

I've now got three coming next week. The last buy being a Nippon Kogaku 24mm f2.8 which looks to be unused. These came in a sort of plastic dome case thingy and maybe the owner couldn't work out how to get it out?

Anyway. It looks like my 35, and 50mm Nippon Kogakus. Like this...

Fb9E8Cx.jpg

And that's it. I'm done buying old lenses now. Forever.

These lenses are fantastically made though. I think they'll outlast mankind.

Last edited:
I must stop buying lenses.

I've now got three coming next week. The last buy being a Nippon Kogaku 24mm f2.8 which looks to be unused. These came in a sort of plastic dome case thingy and maybe the owner couldn't work out how to get it out?

Anyway. It looks like my 35, and 50mm Nippon Kogakus. Like this...

Fb9E8Cx.jpg

And that's it. I'm done buying old lenses now. Forever.

These lenses are fantastically made though. I think they'll outlast mankind.

Yeah. And we're all done with cooked dinners... ;)

I've posted a lot of pictures taken with that lens and more recently I've been using a No.4 close up filter with it. It's a bit funky at f1.x with a messy subject but I really like it from stopped down a bit and of course you don't get that wide aperture funkiness with every subject and composition. Another issue is that the extreme corners are never good at any aperture but you really have to look closely to see this. I've had the Leica mount version and the newer E mount is a lot better in just about every way.

Here's the E mount one on my camera :D

CnD4wDX.jpg

It really is compact for an f1.4 lens.
I don't worry about corners with lenses like this tbh. I assume it's MF only?

I don't worry about corners with lenses like this tbh. I assume it's MF only?

It is indeed a manual lens with no AF. There is electronic communication with the camera so you do get exif info and when you turn the focus ring it'll automatically call up the magnified view if that's how you have the camera set up. I don't but you can do it like that.

I do wish they'd make a range of lenses this compact and about this quality as I'd like a 50 and a 24 or 28mm of this size and quality. The 35mm f1.4 isn't perfect, it'll divide opinion and some will dismiss it as complete crap but I think it has it's charms.

Last edited:
It is indeed a manual lens with no AF. There is electronic communication with the camera so you do get exif info and when you turn the focus ring it'll automatically call up the magnified view if that's how you have the camera set up. I don't but you can do it like that.

I do wish they'd make a range of lenses this compact and about this quality as I'd like a 50 and a 24 or 28mm of this size and quality. The 35mm f1.4 isn't perfect, it'll divide opinion and some will dismiss it as complete crap but I think it has it's charms.
Do you just use peaking? I've never really MF'd since split prisms :eek:

Yes I use peaking.

With some pictures it's just zone/hyperfocal/merklinger but with many I use the magnified view and peaking. I find peaking to be quite accurate at wide apertures as next to nothing is in the dof but at smaller apertures I find peaking less useful as just about everything peaks. That may be good enough for a whole picture but who can resist pixel peeping? :D

I think mf with the magnified view is arguable the most accurate way to focus the only catch being you have to have the time to mf.

Yes I use peaking.

With some pictures it's just zone/hyperfocal/merklinger but with many I use the magnified view and peaking. I find peaking to be quite accurate at wide apertures as next to nothing is in the dof but at smaller apertures I find peaking less useful as just about everything peaks. That may be good enough for a whole picture but who can resist pixel peeping? :D

I think mf with the magnified view is arguable the most accurate way to focus the only catch being you have to have the time to mf.
TBH I would use a lens like this for car meets and things so fast focus isn't needed (y). I fancy the Mitakon 50mm f0.95, but if I have a fast 35mm I could use it in crop mode and have a relatively fast 50mm (52.5mm). I've also been looking at the Samyang 35mm f1.2 so that it gives me an equivalent of 52.5mm f1.8 in crop mode.

The CV range of manual primes really tempt me as you get exif and build quality/great MF in a nice tidy package which makes me wonder why I bother with old MF primes any more. Then i look at how much I would spend buying all the lenses I like and I go back to vintage glass :eek:

The CV range of manual primes really tempt me as you get exif and build quality/great MF in a nice tidy package which makes me wonder why I bother with old MF primes any more. Then i look at how much I would spend buying all the lenses I like and I go back to vintage glass :eek:

They're not cheap but they should last a while. I have 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2. They all seem to be built to the same high standard but they're all different lenses. All my film era lenses seem to be well built but I think the all metal pre ai Nikons are the best built.

I've just received a Nikon 28mm f2.8 series e today.

It looks like it's never been used. It's not the sharpest lens I've had, here's barrel distortion and there's vignetting but other than that it's compact, light and the bokeh is nice but it's soft down the left hand side so I'll have a think but I think it's going back.

Damn. The joys of buying off evil bay.

Last edited:
Back