The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and Ducati are all owned by the VAG group.

There is a few similarities on the car that I have seen on other cars. The steering wheel is square at the bottom same as the S Line Audi’s and the Golf G.T.I. The engine in the car I bought is the engine from the Golf GTD. They all seem to share a lot of similar parts. The entertainment console is also exactly the same as ones I have seen of Volkswagen, Seat, Audi etc.

They seem to review well so hopefully it will be reliable enough. Has a massive boot which I need for all my wedding gear.

I just liked the interior in this as it was a little bit of a change from the normal 3 series BMW’s I have been driving for a few years now. It has sports seats but they are very confortable.

View attachment 294762
And I remember when the Allegro was mocked for its square (“quartic”) steering wheel. :D My Karoq is a former Bentley company car.

Pretty sure Skoda's still use the same parts as VWs and Audi's - Skoda makes great cars, a few members of my family swear by them.
We have a Karoq now too. Build and design fall short of the Mini Countryman, but it's been a comfy relaxing drive so far.

And I remember when the Allegro was mocked for its square (“quartic”) steering wheel. :D My Karoq is a former Bentley company car.

My very first ever car was an Allegro. It was absolutely rotten with rust and there was a huge hole in the passenger footwell, was almost like the car from the flintstones. I swapped a guy at the caravan site for my skateboard. I didn't have it for long though about 3/4 weeks. I pulled up at the lights and the Police pulled up beside me and lifted me straight away. My dad was absolutely raging, I was only 15.

I went out to buy a new daily driver yesterday. Went out with the intention of getting a used bog standard BMW 320d. Have had loads of them before and they will eat up the miles.

Came home with a Skoda Octavia VRS instead. A Skoda :ROFLMAO: the Pentax of the car world.

Thing shifts pretty good. Love it:cool:

I don't know if it's still true today or when that car was made but a few years back Skoda were consistently the best quality and ownership experience of the Audi/VW group.

My very first ever car was an Allegro. It was absolutely rotten with rust and there was a huge hole in the passenger footwell, was almost like the car from the flintstones. I swapped a guy at the caravan site for my skateboard. I didn't have it for long though about 3/4 weeks. I pulled up at the lights and the Police pulled up beside me and lifted me straight away. My dad was absolutely raging, I was only 15.

A family friend of ours had an Allegro and a wheel fell off when we turned a corner one day. I never blamed the car though as he was a fiddler and a bodger. I nearly bought one once but bought a Mini instead. I always thought the estate version was better looking than the car.

Last edited:
It's a bit late in the year but we went bramble picking today. We got a jar full so I may make crumbles tomorrow.

A7 and 28mm f2 and sometimes plus a No.4 close up filter.

I quite like this one. Despite the thin DoF it's f8.

Ufy370f.jpg

f5.6.

0grX2Yu.jpg

f8 and 100% crop. I hope it stays sharp.

gjqoc5w.jpg

f8. Heading home by road this time, bin day. We live all the way right down there...

UrXmuik.jpg

I quite like this Sony 28mm f2. It's small and light, it's fast to focus and the performance seems good. The only thing extra I could wish for would be a closer close focus distance but that can be mitigated to an extent with a close up filter.

Last edited:
As it's quiet, more A7 and Sony 20mm f2 pictures, just in case people haven't use this lens.

On the way to pick brambles. f5.6. Mrs WW is in the distance wearing the red coat.

6R8u4J8.jpg

66% crop at f8.

uGAoZQx.jpg

I had to crop this portrait shot as I was carrying a jar in a plastic bag and it blew up and got into the frame. As I was cropping I went for 3:4. f2.

UyjiBLr.jpg

PS.
I've got a Nikon 50mm f1.4 ai-s coming tomorrow. I'm so excited! :D

Actually, just got a message to say that despite the previous message saying he'd sent it and I'd get it on Wednesday he hasn't sent it yet. Grrrr :mad: I can see me leaving neutral feedback.

Last edited:
As it's quiet, more A7 and Sony 20mm f2 pictures, just in case people haven't use this lens.

On the way to pick brambles. f5.6. Mrs WW is in the distance wearing the red coat.

6R8u4J8.jpg

66% crop at f8.

uGAoZQx.jpg

I had to crop this portrait shot as I was carrying a jar in a plastic bag and it blew up and got into the frame. As I was cropping I went for 3:4. f2.

UyjiBLr.jpg

PS.
I've got a Nikon 50mm f1.4 ai-s coming tomorrow. I'm so excited! :D

Actually, just got a message to say that despite the previous message saying he'd sent it and I'd get it on Wednesday he hasn't sent it yet. Grrrr :mad: I can see me leaving neutral feedback.

How many 35s and 50s do you own now?

A family friend of ours had an Allegro and a wheel fell off when we turned a corner one day. I never blamed the car though as he was a fiddler and a bodger. I nearly bought one once but bought a Mini instead. I always thought the estate version was better looking than the car.

The Skoda Estelle, Rapide130 etc all had a reputation for 'losing a wheel' at unfortunate moments.

In a slightly similar fashion, we had a Triumph Spitfire MkIII that had a trunion fracture, allowing the front nearside wheel to disappear up into the wheel arch while the bottom of the strut dragged along the floor. The Trunion was a cast brass device designed to connect the bottom wishbone on the front suspension with the stub axle assembly, and had a section with a steeply ramped thread rather like the rising butts of a door hinge - in this case the threaded section and the lower pivot attached to the wishbone parted company. At least fixing was easy.

How many 35s and 50s do you own now?
Probably quicker to list the ones he doesn't have

Let's have a think, 35's maybe 8 and 50's maybe 13 (14 if and when the latest one comes) but I may have missed a couple here and there and five of that lot are modern lenses including the MF Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f2 and the AF Sony 35mm f1.8 and f2.8 and 55mm f1.8.

I don't have any Russian or Pentax ones and I don't have any of the crop of Chinese ones that have come out so don't tempt me.

Of the ones I have I can't really pick a favourite as they're all slightly different.

Last edited:
The Skoda Estelle, Rapide130 etc all had a reputation for 'losing a wheel' at unfortunate moments.

In a slightly similar fashion, we had a Triumph Spitfire MkIII that had a trunion fracture, allowing the front nearside wheel to disappear up into the wheel arch while the bottom of the strut dragged along the floor. The Trunion was a cast brass device designed to connect the bottom wishbone on the front suspension with the stub axle assembly, and had a section with a steeply ramped thread rather like the rising butts of a door hinge - in this case the threaded section and the lower pivot attached to the wishbone parted company. At least fixing was easy.

I fancied a Spitfire but I never had one. I had a Midget and an MGB Roadster. I went all over in the Midget including two trips to London and back each in a day and ditto for Bristol and back twice too. I hadn't had it long when the engine blew up and scattered shrapnell all over the road as the previous owners were bodgers. Once I'd had the engine rebuilt it was no trouble,

Let's have a think, 35's maybe 8 and 50's maybe 13 but I may have missed a couple here and there and four of that lot are modern lenses including the MF Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f2 and the AF Sony 35mm f1.8 and f2.8 and 55mm f1.8.

I don't have any Russian or Pentax ones and I don't have any of the crop of Chinese ones that have come out so don't tempt me.

Of the ones I have I can't really pick a favourite as they're all slightly different.

:jawdrop:

As you may know a lot of the time I'm tied to the house as I look after someone and it's an almost 24/7 thing. So, reading about old lenses, finding a nice one at a nice price, seeing how it performs and comparing it to others and taking pictures about the house and garden and within a few miles of home when I can get out is pretty much all I can manage but this does keep me more or less involved in photography as a hobby. I could try them and then sell them on but they're cheap enough and I don't need the money so I hang on to them and they do all get used sooner or later.

Last edited:
As you may know a lot of the time I'm tied to the house as I look after someone and it's an almost 24/7 thing. So, reading about old lenses, finding a nice one at a nice price, seeing how it performs and comparing it to others and taking pictures about the house and garden and within a few miles of home when I can get out is pretty much all I can manage but this does keep me more or less involved in photography as a hobby. I could try them and then sell them on but they're cheap enough and I don't need the money so I hang on to them and they do all get used sooner or later.

Whatever makes you happy mate.

My missus is now looking after her father with cognitive impairment & it's only going to get worse.

You need a release.

Not Sony but interesting...

Shameless plug, just put my 85mm f1.8 up for sale (y)

Shameless plug, just put my 85mm f1.8 up for sale (y)

I tried selling one on here and had no interest. I then put an ad on Facebook market place and was inundated with messages within a few minutes. A guy came round and collected it about an hour later.

I tried selling one on here and had no interest. I then put an ad on Facebook market place and was inundated with messages within a few minutes. A guy came round and collected it about an hour later.
Thanks for the info. I've never tried Facebook MP but I'll certainly look into it if I get no joy on here or AVF (y)

A7 and Nippon Kogaku 35mm f2.8 plus No.4 close up filter.

I'm not sure these will ripen before the weather gets colder.

M7EaJv0.jpg

But did you know you can ripen green tomatoes by putting them in the fruit bowl with apples and bananas? I didn't until I Googled it. It's working quickly on this one that fell off the vine on a windy day.

XzsRqCv.jpg

Last edited:
Finally sending my 16-35 f4 to MRP to sell it, looked on here but the last few seem to have sold for less or the same as MRP are offering, so lets hope it goes smoothly and they don't suddenly want to class it as used and abused, only mark on it is the annoying mark on the knurled zoom ring which has happened to all my Sony lenses.

Finally sending my 16-35 f4 to MRP to sell it, looked on here but the last few seem to have sold for less or the same as MRP are offering, so lets hope it goes smoothly and they don't suddenly want to class it as used and abused, only mark on it is the annoying mark on the knurled zoom ring which has happened to all my Sony lenses.

What are they offering Rob?

That's a lens I'm after at the right price.

@robj20

If they knock it down it will still give me £575 so not bad, cant remember what i paid long time ago.

What condition is it in? The reason I'm asking is that they've gone up in price quite a bit recently. MBP are selling "like new" for £944 now whereas I bought an as new one from then a couple of months ago for £749. If yours is excellent they're making over £200 on it, and if like new £270 :eek:

Last edited:
My Nikon 50mm f1.4 ai-s arrived. It's in very good condition and I can't see a mark on it. As with most of the Nikon lenses I have it's hard to believe this one has ever been used in its decades of life. It's very well made and smaller and lighter than the Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 H auto I have and maybe a bit sharper and maybe with less nervous bokeh too. It's sharp enough in the central area from f1.4 and its only real issue is IMO the old lens nervous bokeh with a messy scene.

100%. I was focusing on her right eye.

PZFQiLC.jpg

Damn. This looks a lot less good than on my pc. Oh well. Take it from me that it's sharp enough in the central area.

It seems to perform quite well with a close up filter too but there isn't too much range between minimum and maximum focus distance with one fitted and without one the close focus distance isn't outstanding.

Ken Rockwell is good for info on these...

Last edited:
What condition is it in? The reason I'm asking is that they've gone up in price quite a bit recently. MBP are selling "like new" for £944 now whereas I bought an as new one from then a couple of months ago for £749. If yours is excellent they're making over £200 on it, and if like new £270 :eek:
Not as simple as that, they have collection, delivery and vat on margin to pay to start with, they probably also allocate a % from each sale to a warranty claim fund, each sale / purchase has also cost something in marketing and staffing costs, so what can appear to be £200 is probably closer to £100-110.

Doing business in the UK is expensive but it does have to pay for the minimum wage, the NHS and all the other good stuff.

I know they're going to make profit.
On here they're going for around £600 at most with the hassle of people trying to bring the price down and then posting it.
So if I can get around the same I'm happy.

Not as simple as that, they have collection, delivery and vat on margin to pay to start with, they probably also allocate a % from each sale to a warranty claim fund, each sale / purchase has also cost something in marketing and staffing costs, so what can appear to be £200 is probably closer to £100-110.
Good point. I’m amazed how much they’ve gone up though.

Good point. I’m amazed how much they’ve gone up though.
Be interesting to see how the pound fairs against the Yen when we leave the EU on 31st December, if it goes the wrong way those who've bought gear this year will be laughing.

Be interesting to see how the pound fairs against the Yen when we leave the EU on 31st December, if it goes the wrong way those who've bought gear this year will be laughing.

These things happen. Years ago I sold a couple of Canon DSLR fit lenses for more than I paid for them new.

The rumor site links to a review of the Sony A7sIII. Here's a direct link to the review...

"The new Sony a7S III shows a mixed bag in the lab test. It shows by far the best rolling shutter result that we ever tested for a full frame camera – 8.7ms. Amazing.

In the dynamic range test at ISO 640 it has a solid 12.4 stops at SNR = 2, but not much more is there – maybe half a stop. It looks like Sony has a lot of internal noise reduction processing going on to squeeze out this result. Which for most users is fine – a great out of the box result! At ISO 16000 the results are really impressive: 11.9 stops (SNR = 2) are measured."

what sony has got the fastest autofocus {that works } for birds in flight
looking at maybe going down the mirrorless route

what sony has got the fastest autofocus {that works } for birds in flight
looking at maybe going down the mirrorless route

A9II followed by A9 as a close second.
The other bodies work pretty well too, those two are just best of the best Sony has to offer.

Yeah, might have to think about a 70-180mm closer to the time ;)

Back