The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A7Riii Tamron 28-75

Sunset by Chris H, on Flickr
How do you like the 28-75, do you miss the 24mm. Love the idea of the size and weight of the Tamron but not the missing 4mm off the wide end.

How do you like the 28-75, do you miss the 24mm. Love the idea of the size and weight of the Tamron but not the missing 4mm off the wide end.

You miss it more in tight spaces and indoors than when you are out and about.
so depends on what you plan on shooting with it and where.

I tend not to shoot very wide very often so I don't miss it at all, if I do want something wider I have another lens. The Tamron is great for me

I've got the black one. Sold my ash one on here.
This this colour would really suit my silver A7C better but the buyer preferred it... oh well

I think black would suit your A6600 better, fancy a trade? ;)

Heh, good try. :D Would love to help you out except I had considered the black when ordering, but I love this colour too much, it contrasts really well against the black of the camera. :)

Heh, good try. :D Would love to help you out except I had considered the black when ordering, but I love this colour too much, it contrasts really well against the black of the camera. :)
Stick to your guns! I too have the Ash. Goes well with the A6500, and besides, all of my other PD straps, and most of my PD bags :)oops: :confused:) are Ash. Ash is the new black!

may be he is trying to get better resolution. Perhaps also try the inbody pixel shift?

Last edited:
its small, light and great for travels with class leading IQ and great simple to use AF.
If you can find me all these in some other body let me know ;)
The weight difference is extremely small, IQ is the same as the A73 and it has no joystick to select AF point. Then you have the higher price point, epic fail for me.

The weight difference is extremely small, IQ is the same as the A73 and it has no joystick to select AF point. Then you have the higher price point, epic fail for me.

A7C also has real time tracking which is a huge improvement over the A7III.

A7C also has real time tracking which is a huge improvement over the A7III.
What are you going to track with it ? Certainly won't be sticking a tele zoom on it so that limits it's usefulness.

They should have priced it around £1499

Why would you need to focus stack on the moon? I'm pretty sure infinity should be fine.

I think you mean noise reduction stack.

Certain area's of the moon become soft in single shots at infinity i've found, so aligning and focus stacking in Affinity allows me to take photos focusing on specific area's of the moon and merge them for more definition and better focus throughout the image.

The weight difference and bulk is noticeable compared to A73. I'd never carry A7RIV+ a mk3 body together (which is why I never bought the A9) and not to mention it wouldn't fit in the bag anyway.
Also my missus would never use my MK3 and/or MK4 bodies but she'll happily use the A7C.

Also A7C fits easily in my jacket pocket.

So for me there is a real difference in size.

If there is a system that doesn't need the AF joystick its Sony. just focus and recompose, the realtime AF tracking is so good that it'll keep track of it. in fact its quicker than using the joystick which i have on my A7RIV.

The only real downside for me is the lack of forefinger dial.

Yesterday I took my A7C+28-200mm with my A7RIV+200-600mm to Richamond park. was really nice with no need for lens changing and could actually carry A7C+28-200mm in my photographers vest.

What are you going to track with it ? Certainly won't be sticking a tele zoom on it so that limits it's usefulness.

They should have priced it around £1499

see above
and I agree the price is a bit high but there is nothing else like it.

Last edited:
Jared makes some good points here, still can't see the point of this camera.

I can see the point of a camera like this. It's a bit smaller than the SLR styled alternative which is good for me and it has the evf in the corner which is preferred by some as it arguably enables easier or better interaction with your subject as your face isn't as covered as it could be with a SLR style camera and of course your nose isn't squashed up to the back screen.

I do like RF style cameras and I'd have ordered an A7c by now but for my reservations. If it had been a FF version of the Panasonic GX9 I'd have one now and I'd seriously consider moving to the competition if they bring out a similar camera that I think is better for me than the Sony. If someone else brings one out there's always the chance that Sony will fix the things about the A7c I don't like and bring out a mk2 PDQ but seeing how Sony have acted with the A6xxx series for years and indeed their A7 line I doubt it.

Certain area's of the moon become soft in single shots at infinity i've found, so aligning and focus stacking in Affinity allows me to take photos focusing on specific area's of the moon and merge them for more definition and better focus throughout the image.
Few questions, what camera and lens, do you use a focus rail, how do you deal with the subject movement while stacking?
Edit : I now realise after seeing subsequent posts that you weren't focus stacking, no worries.

Last edited:
Jared makes some good points here, still can't see the point of this camera.

View: https://youtu.be/h91dqQ7pEso

500gm vs 650gm - "they basically weigh the same fricken thing", i stopped listening at this point lol

It actually weighs like ~30% less, guess math isn't a great strength of his ;)

Pretty clear he doesn't get it then again a lot of youtubers don't... I guess its one of those marmite things you either get it or you don't.

Edit:
I jumped to the end just to see if he had anything good to say and he had the massive 35mm f1.2 next to it :ROFLMAO:
Think he's completely missed the point of it lol

Last edited:
500gm vs 650gm - "they basically weigh the same fricken thing", i stopped listening at this point lol

It actually weighs like ~30% less, guess math isn't a great strength of his ;)

Pretty clear he doesn't get it then again a lot of youtubers don't... I guess its one of those marmite things you either get it or you don't.

Edit:
I jumped to the end just to see if he had anything good to say and he had the massive 35mm f1.2 next to it :ROFLMAO:
Think he's completely missed the point of it lol
It's surprising how few get it. Can't wait to use mine with the 35 f2.8, nice and small and light.
But with the option to use all the big glass. Mine arrives early next week, not good timing on my part as I have a training course Mon to Wed that I'll have to answer the door at some point.

Why would you need to focus stack on the moon? I'm pretty sure infinity should be fine.

I think you mean noise reduction stack.

I watched this video a few months ago where the guy also stacked his moon photos. From 3:48.
View: https://youtu.be/XXN8tVSqteI

He says because he crops in a lot it can get noisy and using noise reduction reduces sharpness. And that stacking several photos increases detail.

it has no joystick to select AF point.

I use the rear dial on the back of my a6600 for most operations. I use it to move the AF point around and the centre button to deselect/cancel it. Feels great and intuitive to use. I imagine it's the same on the a7c.

Can't wait to use mine with the 35 f2.8, nice and small and light.
But with the option to use all the big glass. Mine arrives early next week, not good timing on my part as I have a training course Mon to Wed that I'll have to answer the door at some point.

A FF combination under 600 grams nice!

where did you get yours from in the end?

It's surprising how few get it.

Step 1: acquire an A7C
Step 2: put a >1kg lens on it
Step 3: complain there is no noticeable difference

Panamoz like you said price matched E-infinity.

I use the rear dial on the back of my a6600 for most operations. I use it to move the AF point around and the centre button to deselect/cancel it. Feels great and intuitive to use. I imagine it's the same on the a7c.

Not as quick or intuitive as moving with a joystick which in turn isn't as quick or intuitive as focus and recomposing.
Only time I use the joystick to is to move the point around to achieve critical focus while manually focussing (eg: for macro work).
While using AF with real time tracking, there isn't really a need to move the AF point since you can focus and recompose and the camera will just maintain your subject in focus no problem,

I watched this video a few months ago where the guy also stacked his moon photos. From 3:48.

He says because he crops in a lot it can get noisy and using noise reduction reduces sharpness. And that stacking several photos increases detail.

Yes I know but it's not focus stacking.

It's just stacking images and combining them in Photoshop to reduce noise.

My point was the moon is so far away you don't need to focus stack.

If you can focus on one part of the moon and another with different focus he's got a better lens than me!

Yes I know but it's not focus stacking.

It's just stacking images and combining them in Photoshop to reduce noise.

My point was the moon is so far away you don't need to focus stack.

If you can focus on one part of the moon and another with different focus he's got a better lens than me!

Sorry, yes, you're quite right, it's noise reduction stacking and not focus stacking.

He said what's the point of having a very capable sensor, AF system etc. then putting cheap lenses on it.

Have you ever used the joystick on the A73 ?

He said what's the point of having a very capable sensor, AF system etc. then putting cheap lenses on it.

So now cost equals quality?
He sounds like bit of lens snob tbh in that case

On a 24mp sensor you don't need a 135GM :p
For example you'd hard pressed between tamron 28-200mm vs. 24-105mm.
That's one of benefits of having a lower MP body. you'll seldom needed latest greatest lenses to get good sharpest.

There are plenty of sharp small cheaper lenses that work great even on A7RIV like Samyang 45mm, FE35/1.8, FE85/1.8 etc.

Then there are small premium lenses line 20G, 24GM, FE55, basis primes, loxia primes etc.

Even lenses like tamron 17-28mm great and small.

You don't need to put a 1kg f1.2 to make use that sensor and AF. In fact that AF will work better smaller f1.8 lenses.

Like I said point of a body like A7C seems to be completely lost on him.

Last edited:
Have you ever used the joystick on the A73 ?

I haven't, no, but I'm guessing it's nicer to use that . Fortunately though, because I never had any other sony camera I'm happy enough with using the dial. I've got a joystick on my Canon though and I don't miss that.

So now cost equals quality?
He sounds like bit of lens snob tbh in that case

On a 24mp sensor you don't need a 135GM :p
For example you'd hard pressed between tamron 28-200mm vs. 24-105mm.
That's one of benefits of having a lower MP body. you'll seldom needed latest greatest lenses to get good sharpest.

There are plenty of sharp small cheaper lenses that work great even on A7RIV like Samyang 45mm, FE35/1.8, FE85/1.8 etc.

Then there are small premium lenses line 20G, 24GM, FE55, basis primes, loxia primes etc.

Even lenses like tamron 17-28mm great and small.

You don't need to put a 1kg f1.2 to make use that sensor and AF. In fact that AF will work better smaller f1.8 lenses.

Like I said point of a body like A7C seems to be completely lost on him.

I'd mostly agree, except I can see the difference between a better prime and the 24-105 on my A7III, so I think the 28-200 would be very noticeably less crisp. I'm still; working my way through the photos we took in Athens, and when I popped a prime on for a picture I just have this sense of *that's better*. Having said that, I've no doubt the 28-200 would be ADEQUATE, and I've printed up images taken using an 18-250 Sigma on my A58 that were OK at viewing distance, but I think it would be just a bit discouraging when culling and processing.

But the main point - there are great quality, small and light lenses available - I absolutely agree.

I'd mostly agree, except I can see the difference between a better prime and the 24-105 on my A7III, so I think the 28-200 would be very noticeably less crisp. I'm still; working my way through the photos we took in Athens, and when I popped a prime on for a picture I just have this sense of *that's better*. Having said that, I've no doubt the 28-200 would be ADEQUATE, and I've printed up images taken using an 18-250 Sigma on my A58 that were OK at viewing distance, but I think it would be just a bit discouraging when culling and processing.

But the main point - there are great quality, small and light lenses available - I absolutely agree.

Well that's a zoom vs. prime comparison as supposed to a zoom vs. zoom (i know one of them is a superzoom style lens which generally have a bad rep).
even on A7RIV the main difference is in the corners and very slight difference in mid-zone. So on 24mp you might be able to pick up some difference in corners but generally speaking the difference will be lost unless you go desperately looking for it.

I think you are possibly underestimating the tamron lens but they have made some really good lenses recently with obvious compromise of the focal length rather than IQ. the 70-180mm was recently shown to be sharper than RF70-200mm by Dustin. the 17-28mm on lensrentals was tested to be as sharp as the GM for the most part. what you lose out on is really the 24mm end (which as Roger from lens rentals explains is a really hard focal length to develop lenses for which tamron have avoided to lose that complication).
Also the rendering isn't as good, the sunstars kinda suck tbh which is a real downer for me. I like my sunstars lol

Well that's a zoom vs. prime comparison as supposed to a zoom vs. zoom (i know one of them is a superzoom style lens which generally have a bad rep).
even on A7RIV the main difference is in the corners and very slight difference in mid-zone. So on 24mp you might be able to pick up some difference in corners but generally speaking the difference will be lost unless you go desperately looking for it.

I think you are possibly underestimating the tamron lens but they have made some really good lenses recently with obvious compromise of the focal length rather than IQ. the 70-180mm was recently shown to be sharper than RF70-200mm by Dustin. the 17-28mm on lensrentals was tested to be as sharp as the GM for the most part. what you lose out on is really the 24mm end (which as Roger from lens rentals explains is a really hard focal length to develop lenses for which tamron have avoided to lose that complication).
Also the rendering isn't as good, the sunstars kinda suck tbh which is a real downer for me. I like my sunstars lol

I'm quite tempted by the 70-180, and now I have the 12-24 Sigma, I might consider swapping the 24-105 for Tammy's 28-70. But at the moment I'm just finding the pictures I take with wider range zooms dissatisfying, and it's more from that perspective than anything else. Chances are that if I see a pic on TP that's processed and presented well I'll have no idea what camera and lens was used to take it.

Back