The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

One more park picture. The little ones seemed to want to shelter from the rain and I wondered why they didn't head off to shelter under one of the several bridges.

HpZTPPZ.jpg

Sony A1 weird phenomena with SD cards

I have just moved to Sony with a new A1 and am currently using fast 64GB SD cards which work fine for the way I shoot, not the problem.

I have setup the A1 to auto switch from card 1 to 2 when full. The thing is, its switching when it says there are still 110 (or so) pics to go and indeed leaves 8-10GB still available on card 1. I format the cards in camera every time before use.

Anyone else noticing this, surely not normal? Thats a big chunk of the 64GB wasted. Any suggestions please?

Cliff

Time to go shopping.

A7 and Nikon 35mm f2.5.

I haven't used this lens much as I got it cheap and found that it squeaked when pointed downwards but after seeing what they're going for on evil bay I decided it was worth investing £50 in and I had it cleaned and lubricated and now it's a nice lens :D

The pathway was just a tunnel of green and white.

BO8VfAU.jpg

It seems to work well with my No.4 close up filter.

VT608zQ.jpg

"Take my picture."
"Ok."

T13FjPM.jpg

Look! Some of them stuck to her!

Last edited:
Ive been impressed with a few images on Flickr using the Batis 40mm and also the 135mm thread on FM has really impressed me..

I have a Pentax Super Tak 135 F2.5, might take that out and see if that scratches the itch for now..

Last edited:
Ive been impressed with a few images on Flickr using the Batis 40mm and also the 135mm thread on FM has really impressed me..

I have a Pentax Super Tak 135 F2.5, might take that out and see if that scratches the itch for now..

Isn't the Batis 40mm the one that's had a lot of issues?

Isn't the Batis 40mm the one that's had a lot of issues?
The issue was that if you were using the close focus functionality the lens would automatically stop down from F2 upto F4 to 'preserve image quality'. Zeiss have released a FW update to limit this to F2.8 which I'm pretty OK with to be honest.

The issue was that if you were using the close focus functionality the lens would automatically stop down from F2 upto F4 to 'preserve image quality'. Zeiss have released a FW update to limit this to F2.8 which I'm pretty OK with to be honest.

Maybe a different beast but if looking for an AF 40mm I might be tempted by the Sony f2.5 G. I like compact kit. Or if you're willing to MF I have the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 which is a lovely built lens.

Maybe a different beast but if looking for an AF 40mm I might be tempted by the Sony f2.5 G. I like compact kit. Or if you're willing to MF I have the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 which is a lovely built lens.
For an AF lens around that focal length, I can highly recommend the Sigma 45mm f2.8 Contemporary. And it’s got the best feeling MF for any fly-by-wire lens I’ve tried.

That wasn’t the only issue, eye a.f doesn’t work well using this lens and it back focuses rather badly. Unfortunately it’s a design fault that they weren’t able to fix with firmware.

I'm sure that's petty much what I remember reading at the time.

For an AF lens around that focal length, I can highly recommend the Sigma 45mm f2.8 Contemporary. And it’s got the best feeling MF for any fly-by-wire lens I’ve tried.

That's a nice looking lens but some people report focus issues due to the properties that make the bokeh so nice. I believe they've toned down the later lenses in that range to cut down on the focus issues.

That's a nice looking lens but some people report focus issues due to the properties that make the bokeh so nice. I believe they've toned down the later lenses in that range to cut down on the focus issues.
If you look at my spider on dandelion (above, somewhere) I don’t think there are many focus issues ;)

That wasn’t the only issue, eye a.f doesn’t work well using this lens and it back focuses rather badly. Unfortunately it’s a design fault that they weren’t able to fix with firmware.
Weird as the reviews I have seen don't mention that, will have a dig, not bothered by eyeAF, never used it, but the back focussing would bother me
Thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
I'm trying to resist buying a 3rd FZ100 battery. If Amazon had stock I'd have one. Hmmm

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order 4 more, getting home from weddings and recharging ready for the next day is a pain in the bum. Especially if I'll be at a hotel. Bristol Cameras always used to be a few quid cheaper than most places but I see they're out of stock too.

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order 4 more, getting home from weddings and recharging ready for the next day is a pain in the bum. Especially if I'll be at a hotel. Bristol Cameras always used to be a few quid cheaper than most places but I see they're out of stock too.

This is exactly why we have 24 batteries as it means I have 4 batteries for each of our 6 bodies. 2 for each body for each wedding.

Don't do video to be fair. MPB has one in stock for 419.00 but I think I'll pass. Watching some videos on the Sigma 1.4 now.

For a little more I'd probably pick the ART, although I've seen at least one review comparing them where the Sammy came out with more detail. I really like the rendering of the 50 f1.4 although the AF isn't impressive on that either (though better than the Sony 50 f1.8).

This is exactly why we have 24 batteries as it means I have 4 batteries for each of our 6 bodies. 2 for each body for each wedding.

I have a few third party ones but I’d rather not use them if I’m honest. I’ll pick up some more when the time comes.

Back